PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I knew it would happen if I stayed on task. I finally found a Dunhill.... sort of. I haunt 2nd hand stores and antique shops and finally found a Dunhill. It was missing the white dot and had the the stem from another Dunhill jammed into it, but it was a Dunhill, by God. Cost: Three bucks plus tax.
I hooked up with Ken Davis at the Kansas City pipe show and he said he'd do the scrub down plus stem refit for twenty bucks plus 7.00 for shipping. So, here's my "new" Dunhill for a thirty dollar bill.
DH3.jpg

His surgeon wife added the dot with a touch of white acrylic and I know it has to be sent to a fella in Tennessee for the proper application, but I really am pleased with Ken's fine work.
DH2.jpg

According to Ken it was built in the last the late thirties and is a size 2. Nice for a quick smoke and a tap out.
DH1.jpg

I'm happy.
Fnord

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
That was an awesome find and a great looking pipe... Congrats!!

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Amazing find! I have wanted a dunnie for some time but just didn't had the funds. You are one lucky man!

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Nice to see diligence paying off! Nice find. By the way, did you try to haggle them down to $2? :wink:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Super cool - congrats. That gives people like me hope that one day I too will own a Dunhill!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
The helluva of it all is I was more caught up in the chase and the aftermath is almost anticlimatic. (I'm in sales and have been my entire life.) The hunt drives me and, when I get a signed sales order, my attitude can best be summed up with a "Meh."
She's a pretty pipe, an okay smoker and I was delighted to find her in a basket full of really nasty burners. But, that said, I have so many other pipes that smoke better I can almost guarantee she'll never end up in my rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.