PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
A couple of weeks ago I decided to experiment with C&D blends so I ordered from SP one ounce each of the following
Byzantium
Red Odessa
Star of the East
Last week, upon arrival, I noticed the aromas of Latakia and Perique penetrating through the shipping box. I picked up my Peterson Aran 999 ( dedicated English pipe ) and decided to go to work on them. Sort of a bad idea. What I thought was acceptable moisture right out of the bag turned out to be way too much. The wetness made each blend turn into a rather awful experience. I enjoy my Latakia, but not straight ( yes, I have smoked blending Lat before, very good for clearing your sinuses ).
I left the baggies open for about 4 days to dry out some. Red Odessa and Star of the East did so pretty well, Byzantium still needs more time as of today. Here's my take on these blends after a few bowls of each over the past few days:
Red Odessa - bag smell reminds me of BBQ ribs cooked over charcoal. Cut is thick ribbons of VA with chunks of Lat and Perique. Lights easy if almost bone dry, otherwise relights required. Tastes like a VA/Per with Latakia but fairly heavy. Burns cool and fairly slow. I tried to smoke it faster and the VA let me know it was there. Not like McBaren VA#1 when pushed, but enough. Definitely a sipper, as the flavors come out better. The Perique definitely has a presence. Not a "creamy" smoke by any means. Good with coffee. Not good for "smoking on the dry" as it left quite the aftertaste. 7 out of 10 stars.
Star of the East - bag smell .... well, it smells like the Balkan it is. A camp fire doused with an infusion of camphor. VA ribbons with chunks of Lat and little strands of Turkish. Drying this makes it taste a lot better than wet. A bit heavier on the Lat than I like as it sort of masks the Turkish, but it also tames the VA, so it won't bite ya ( unless you puff like you're trying to make the briar glow ). Lots of smoke but I wouldn't call it creamy like the FrogMorton series or Sasieni Balkan ). Quite flavorful but not very subtly. Overall a decent smoke. 8 out of 10 stars.
Byzantium - this honestly smells like blending Perique with faint odors of Latakia. Mostly small brown and black chunks in the bag. Lighting is a bit tricky. I think it's still a bit wet. A slow burner. Can't really taste the Turkish. Is it there? 5 out of 10 stars but will revisit this when I'm done with the 1 ounce. I think this is one of those blends you have to spend time with to form an opinion.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I have "Star of the east" flake. I like it but I agree it has to be dry. I usually load my pipe and then just let it sit from 30min to an hour before I light it.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I have not tryed C&D Byzantium but I am guessing if they are like the Byzantium blends from other companies it probley tast as they all have so far and I do like them. Now I have tryed both odessa white and red mine were not so wet that they required drying time. Mine were in tins not bulk that may be the difference.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Thank you for posting this! I am big C&D fan and now have a couple more to try.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
UPDATE on Byzantium : After another 24 hours of "open bag" and sifting about, this blend is quite tasty, produces a good amount of smoke and has quite the Vitamin N. A lot like Dunhill Nightcap, but a bit rougher around the edges. Tastes better out of a smallish bowl, like the baby System Pete ( 317 ). Upgrading this to 7 stars out of 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.