PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Im not much of a newspaper reader, but lately Ive been reading them out of necessity. My mother in law is in the hospital and Ive been going through the papers while trying to choke down the crappy coffee. As i was browsing this mornings paper I ran into an article. About to pass it by in search of the Russian hacker article I was reading, this picture caught my eye. It was an old man smoking his pipe and listening to a record player in his home that was bombed in Syria. It was a touching article, and while I am not touching anything political, his pipe smoking made me think about connection, and thankfulness. I love smoking my pipe and am glad to have a place to share that love, and connection.

Old man with pipe

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
aleppo-conflict-cars-header-003.jpg

Such a haunting scene.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Is that not the corner of a warning label on the dangers of smoking showing in his pocket? :roll:
Very haunting indeed.... looks as though it could have been taken at any time in the last hundred years.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Thank you, josephcross, for making the effort to post this. We have much to be thankful for in our part of the world.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I highly recommend reading a newspaper or two a day. Even given the editorial slant of any one paper, you get less filtered news by reading through an edition, and you balance editorial slants, which gets you out of your silo. I prefer reading hard copy anyway. You tend to end up reading more complete reports. Most broadcast and internet reporting is based on newspaper journalism.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
unless the phonographs in that part of the world run counterclockwise

This was really bugging me, but watch the video, he winds it up and the record runs clockwise, the needle is just playing from an awkward spot, probably got damaged and that is just where it rests best now.
Isaac

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I echo what Cranse wrote. I thank you! And we are lucky in all the Americas.
A touching piece, even though ruined for me by unethical journalism.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Some of the old crank up phonographs have the arm and needle on the left side. My Grandfather's was like that, the needle slanted back, the turn table turn clockwise. That is truly a great photo.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
That is a Victor phonograph, notice the brace between the crank and the box. The mainspring ratchet or the ratchet spring is damaged. That brace keeps the handle from unwinding. The pipe has what looks like silver trim on the stem.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's not Mixture 79! He is really smoking, with a real pipe and a real lighter, that's for sure.
But after watching the video, I am still skeptical. I've never seen a needle angled toward the rotation. But I haven't seen everything, either.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm with Davet. That tobacco warning label is some rich, rich irony. It's a shame that the "powers that be" of the world could spend so much effort to warn us of tobacco hazards, but couldn't be bothered to try and prevent a civil war in Syria.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
but couldn't be bothered to try and prevent a civil war in Syria.

Uh how does one accomplish this?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
You don't think diplomacy and statesmanship has ever prevented a simmering situation from completely exploding? Hell, you could well be right, for all I know.
EDIT: Also, not to be a sarcastic wiseass, but the operative word was, in fact, "try".

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Good point. I agree that efforts would be better spent trying to salvage the situation than messing with tobacco regs. I'm admittedly jaded my remark comes from years of watching somany attempts barely be noticed or implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.