PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
First off a little background info. I've never been one to order much online. I've always tried to make purchases locally when possible. SO I have little experience with internet ordering.
Seen a pipe I liked on ebay and decided to buy it. The seller has a score of 798 all positive so I thought it was ok. The pipe was bought on 02/21/13. Received usps tracking details (First-Class Mail®)the same day. It's showing the package was in Acceptance at the local post office February 21, 2013 12:02 pm. That's it. No updates since. I think my package has been lost or something. I did contact the seller who even told me this local post office in her city is under investigation for lost packages in the past. Maybe she should not have used the post office to begin with knowing this fact? I think it's the post offices fault and not hers. I think from now on I will stick with online retailer's instead of ebay.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
It could just be taking a while to get to you. I also made a purchase on the same day from eBay and from a buyer on the east coast of Canada (my country). I still have not seen it and don't expect to for a little while yet. My tracking has not changed since it was accepted at the initial post office. On that note, I often receive things physically before the tracking has shown that it is even anywhere near me. So I think it is a little early to get concerned and make a fuss, although I understand your apprehension, especially as a first time buyer.

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
USPS tracking is notoriously worthless, so I wouldn't sweat it yet. I've had packages on my doorstep before tracking information was available online on some occasions, or things being delivered days after the expected delivery date.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
USPS tracking is notoriously worthless
+1
I will admit, doesn't look too good at this point, especially in light of what the seller says. I hope it works out for you. FWIW, I've yet to have any problem with receiving a purchase on ebay. I haven't made that many, but probably about 15-20 in the past year.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
The Postal Service tracking is almost totally useless. I have had stuff that Indicated "accepted" at our statewide distribution center. Meanwhile, I'm unpacking the box it came in 15 minutes ago. In some cases, I called my servicing branch and they told me it's out for delivery, a different story from the tracking info.
I suggest contacting the postal service and asking them to track your package. See if you can get your servicing branch's phone number; it comes in handy.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If you purchased the item using PayPal you can simply file a claim with them. You should be able to get your money.
Sellers sometimes think they are off the hook by claiming they shipped the item. Not in my world. Unless they can produce a delivery confirmation you can usually get your money back.
Seven days is not very long (things do happen)if the package was not sent Priority Mail or faster. Check with PayPal about how you file a claim to be sure you do it in the proper time frame.
I have used eBay for over 15 years and bought at least 1,000 items. In all that I have had only two problems. One was in the pre-PayPal era and I just had to eat my loss. It wasn't the seller's fault: he died. The next time was a PayPal sale. I just filed a claim and had my money refunded shortly thereafter.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Was the package accepted at her local post office, or yours?
Either way, the quickest way to resolve this is for you to call the USPS. The number is 1-800-ASK-USPS. Claims are settled quicker when the receiver initiates the call instead of the sender.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Hello carytobacco. It's where it was accepted at her local post office. What has me worried was her telling me that post office was under investigation for just this, previous lost packages.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
I've procured many pipes (and other items from Ebay, and whenever there was a delivery problem, it was always because of the archaic postal services and their outdated tracking methods. I'm not saying that there aren't any corrupt or lazy sellers, but I've never had a case in which my item was not shipped after two days at the most.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I hate buying anything on Ebay. I never had any issues with the Post Office. I prefer the USPS over the other shippers. Besides they're cheaper.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
give it a few days, a recent priority receipt showed it is expected to take 4 days for delivery. If all else fails, paypal will refund when the tracking does not show delivered, although it is a P.I.A. and will take a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.