PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
There has been a few new discussions about Preben Holm pipes and that got me thinking about one I recently received in a lot of pipes. I am not sure how to feel about this pipe…the grain is fantastic but the shape does not feel great in the hand like many of the Preben Holm pipes do. It is very large and It is marked Preben Holm Hand Cut grade 5. I was not aware that all Preben Holm marked pipes were not carved by Preben Holm. Can I get some info on this pipe? Also, any thoughts on this shape?

IMG_1623_zpsgu4rldhb.jpg

IMG_1621_zpspzeyxoxo.jpg

IMG_1619_zpseh3gparg.jpg

IMG_1617_zpsqoutkepw.jpg

IMG_1615_zpsxwahualw.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have never seen one so cube like. I like it! Looks to be a replacement stem, but suits the overall shape well.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I like it! I can't offer up much info of value, but I think its a cool pipe, when they were "pushin' the envelope"..... its got that 70's-80's vibe...... love it or hate it........... :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think it is ugly, awkward, and clunky.

It does have redeeming qualities. Some wonderful nomenclature, and the grain ain't bad neither.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Looking at it, and the marking of COPENHAGEN DENMARK, I would think late 1960's before his working with Herman Lane and the Ben Wade period. The shape itself shows the influence of similar shapes by Sven Knudsen, an excellent example, especially in profile view, with commentary, can be seen here,
https://www.finepipes.com/danish/sven-knudsen-pipes/sven-knudsen-for-larsen-c.-1963-medium-freehand?cPath=5_61
Also of interest, in terms of the "squareness" of the shape see the 1963 W.O. Larsen catalog (most of the shapes by Sven Knudsen) starting on page 34, Larsen Fancy No. 1420, here,
http://www.danishpipemakers.com/pdf/wo1.pdf

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
That's a nice looking hunk of briar. I'm trying to compile as much info as I can about Preben Holm, Ben Wade and the old Danish freehands. Dmcmtk always adds some great stuff. Nice pipe. Thanks for bringing it up.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I've never seen one like it. You either like freehands or you don't. I happen to love them and this one has beautiful grain, and an odd combination of straight and curved lines. Not my first pick for a freehand, but it grows on you.

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
It is not a Grade 5. He never seperated pipes into grades like that. The marking is simply a import mark for Lane ltd.

Jon :puffpipe:

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Well.... er... it´s kinda square I´d say. But of course we got to remember that everyone was smoking lots of other things than just tobacco in the sixties. :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like freehands, have several. This one is an admirable sculpture but, to me, not a great pipe. I think many artisans go through a time when they are doing massive pipes. They can sell for more, and they offer more material for doing the sculpture in pipe making. But they aren't handy, aren't easy to clench or almost impossible, and just not something most people would reach for, except for taking to a pipe club or pipe show for drama. Just lighting this pipe is going to test the strength of your teeth and gums. So I think it is an admirable exercise in the art of the carver but not a great result in terms of a pipe. It's a balancing act to get both a great pipe and full self expression.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Most of my pipes weren't made to clench. A lot of Preben's pieces, be they a Holm or a Ben Wade, were made for a sitting smoke.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
It is not a comfortable pipe for me. Nice grain, interesting carving…but just not for me. It will most likely find its way to the bay. Still a huge fan of Preben Holm pipes. Someone else will love this one.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dixie:
You're absolutely right. Somebody else will.
I love the grain but it's just too boxy for me. Still, it's very unusual and I do like it in a weird kind of way.
Holm was all about production and if he never laid hands on it you can bet that it was cut, drilled and finished by some of the greatest Danish pipe makers living and dead.
Fnord

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Nice looking pipe, but too large for my taste.

The fit on the mouthpiece makes me think that it's a swap?

qmechanics

Lurker
Dec 17, 2012
Kansas
Hi

I would like to correct a statement above. Preben Holm Handcut pipes predates Lane/Ben Wade (Snug Harbour days) and do have gradings. I believe they are l (lowest) to 8(highest). I own a few of each grade up to and including two 6 grades,have seen a few 7 graded pipes though still looking for the 8. There might be debate about a particular grade being under or over graded,however there is an obvious grain and quality difference from 1 to 7. These comments are from my own experience,collection and what I have read. Keep in mind, Preben also made other pipe series that had familiar grades/presentations Preben Holm Danish 100-800, Private Collection 101, 202, 404, 606, 808 etc.not to mention older Private Collection models with a grade(A,B,C,D)inside a circle etc.

Reactions: Mookie27

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
To my eyes I don’t think it would be comfortable to hold and since I smoke outdoors all year it’s not a shape I’d personally chase but it has some very nice grain.

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.