PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I just bid on it, can't see myself bidding higher...would you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-NICE-Petersons-Standard-System-Estate-pipe-Clean-ready-to-Smoke-/390653155711?ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:3160

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I probably wouldn't go much higher either. There are a fair number of good petes floating around.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Well myself I love the system pipes. It looks super clean and in great shape. Brand new they go for around $100 +. So really it's up to you and your want of it, and $$$ situation. I can only speak for myself but if I wanted it (which I dont, have 3 systems already) I would go as high as $80. But again thats my own take.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Is it just me, or is there something odd looking about the stem and the way it looks on the pipe?
After a close look of the stem it may be a replacement stem. The "p" looks very much like what I have seen done on replacements. Also I could be wrong on this one, but I dont think Peterson ever stamped the "p" on the system pipes?

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I wouldn't. I agree with the latest comments - in the UK we would call it a "speccy" lot - highly speculative!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I never bid on a pipe until the very end - even if no one has made a bid.
My advice: use esnipe and when you bid and ask yourself "will I be upset if I lose it for $5", if the answer is yes, go higher (without getting too ridiculous of course). I hate to say it, but sniping is the only way to win a pipe at a reasonable price (or any price for that matter).

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Speak of the devil; A pete meer for 47.50 and as I'm tapped for the next two weeks. have at it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peterson-Meerschaum-Estate-Pipe-/271272116863?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2914027f

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
After a close look of the stem it may be a replacement stem. The "p" looks very much like what I have seen done on replacements. Also I could be wrong on this one, but I dont think Peterson ever stamped the "p" on the system pipes?
Your 100% correct drwatson, I purchased a brand new Pete System 305 a couple years ago and there's no "p" on the stem.

Aug 21, 2013
Indianapolis
My only input is of the Ebay variety. Never, ever bid until the last 6-8 seconds. Use a snipe program (esnipe.com is great) . Bidding with days/hours left simply drives the final price up. I work in an auction house on the weekends and generally follow the same methodology.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Nice looking pipe. As a seller on eBay, I hate it when people wait till the end to bid. As a buyer... I generally wait!
Would how many folks you will be bidding against that come from this web site??

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Being a pipe restorer from Ireland, I have handled literally hundreds of these pipes from all eras. These are my thoughts.
As quoted above, I have NEVER seen a P logo stamped on a system stem. Also, that stem doesn't seem to be seated correctly in the shank. I bet the bowl would fall off the stem easily. Replacement Peterson stems are not a one-fits-all solution. Every shank is different and it is best if replacement stems are custom fitted.
Also, as regards Petersons - the older the briar the better. The markings on the nickel collar points this out to be fairly modern production. The best briar is in the Pre-Republic pipes so always look out for these within your budget. If your budget doesn't stretch to a pre-Republic model, go for the ones that have the 3 faux hallmarks on the collars of the shamrock, tower and prone fox. These will give a much better smoke than the modern era pipes.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Be careful ... those System Standard Estates are a nightmare to *really* clean inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.