PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
No, not a forthcoming blend, at least as far as I know. But with the buzz surrounding the demise of the bulk 5100 and the near universally favorable reception of their 40th Anniversary blend in mind, here are a few thoughts from someone who has been a fan of their product since about 1981.
(1) In the early to mid 1980's, at one pipe show or another, Mary McNeil (then still Ehwa) made a comment to several of us who were standing around their table: "We're all about the Virginias." Well, their Matured Virginia line with the brown labels, Navy Cavendish, #22, #24, #25, & #27 has been produced since 1977. I have smoked every one of these tobaccos many times over the years, sometimes with great age, sometimes made very recently, and they are well worth trying unless all that will satisfy you are heavily topped/cased Virginia's. They are even available in 50g tins most places. Don't fall prey to the temptation to omit Navy Cavendish or #24 from your sample. In today's world, the rum in Navy Cavendish and the added Xanthi in #24 are so condimental that many smokers wouldn't notice that they are not straight Virginias unless they were told. And don't pay much if any attention to the reviews. For less than $50 from most online vendors for one each of these blends in 50 gram tins, this is a cheap date and you can make up your own mind.
(2) Their bulk Virginia flakes, 2010, 2015 (condimental Perique), 2025 (condimental Drama) and 2035 are very high quality products, though Mary and Mike would truthfully tell you the base ingredients are not as expensive as their tinned products. But, this can be an expensive hobby/addiction, and if you do believe (as I do) that cellaring makes sense, but have to prioritize for economic reasons (as I do), you really should try at least a 2 ounce sample of these. And I would throw in a few ounces of 5105, which I always liked better than 5100 as a straight smoke, but maybe that's just me. The economics of buying these when there is a promotion can be compelling.
(3) I have absolutely no knowledge of McClellands business plans, including their succession planning, if any. But this company won't be around under present ownership forever. Whatever ingredient issues led to the demise of 5100 might well happen with other components. No reason to panic. But things do change.
I am frankly a McClelland fanboy. I do smoke and enjoy other companies offerings, but at least 75% of my "cellar $$" has gone into their products, bulk and tinned, including some not

mentioned here. But whether you decide to go that route in your own cellaring or not, give these suggestions some consideration. These old standards are old, and standards, for a plethora of reasons. Try them for yourself. You may decide to move on to other styles, but you may find one that is a home run, or you may just increase your own personal experience base, and return to these every now and then, but I think the rewards will greatly outweigh the expense.
Oh, and lest I forget, Mary actually made the comment "We're all about the Virginias" in answer to the question of what it was that made their Oriental Mixtures (green label) different. Those blends (#1, #6, #8, #12 and #14) have also been around since the inception. At that time, many of the then old standard imported mixtures from the UK had changed as the conglomerates took over,and the aged American Virginia component of these blends was often the first target of the cost accountants. But that is another subject.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Thank you so miuch for your comments. I may have gone the MC VA route myself but was accosted by the dark and powerful tobaccos about three years in, while heretofore I mostly smoked straight VA. It's great to hear from someone who knows MC VAs as well as you do!

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I've never tried the Brown Labels, they sound like McClelland's signature series. Great post.

Oct 7, 2016
@brightleaf, some might pick another series as their signature series, so to speak, like the Personal Reserve line, but the brown labels are a great place to start if you are an American Virginia lover or aspire to be one. The Green Label Oriental Mixtures might pretty much serve that purpose for those who want to explore that taste profile.
Thanks for the compliment.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I am already a fan the Personal Reserve series. The Brown Label series seemed like something I didn't need to try since everything else was so satisfying, I am of a different opinion now.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've been enjoying these bends since I took up the pipe in 1988. The Brown label, Black label and Green label blends are what comprise about half of my cellar.That isn't including blends like Wilderness, Beacon and a host of other McClelland blends. I'm fortunate to have the ability to pop the top on 20-25 yr aged tins a couple of times a year and the number will be improving soon. Currently its a 1991 tin of #25...heaven in a pipe. Everything about the McClelland operation is first class. The tobaccos, the tins, the people.
Mike S

Status
Not open for further replies.