PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
It seems that all the rectangular/square tins I have don't hold a seal if they ever had one. I haven't opened one yet that I could hear the vacuum being released like a round tin does. Is it a bad idea to cellar these square tins, or should the contents be put in jars. The tins are a lot more convenient.
tinner

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I believe if you're talking about keeping a rectangular tin more than 20 yrs, you're pushing your luck. I also happen to think that the failure rate is very low. As for me, I push my luck and keep the occasional eye on them.
Mike S.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've never had a square tin fail to hold its seal. You could always run a bead of wax or hot glue

around the seam of those tins destined for long term storage.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I may be mistaken, but I thought I read something about a year ago that a guy here was having problems with rectangle tins keeping their seal. I'm not sure if it was a certain blend or what, sorry... I know that doesn't help much but there it is. :rofl:

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
All of my rectangular tins have never failed. I have a bunch cellared and all are fine so far. Only about 4 years of age on them the though

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Mine kept well until tin baking. The ones I stuck in the oven lost their seals and now I'm playing the rehydration game a year and a half later.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have had a Penzance tin lose its seal after about 5 years. I have never had a problem with SG or Dunhill tins,and I have lots of 'em. Nothing for 20 years,though.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I don't have any personal experience with baking

tins bit I don' t think popped seals are unusual.

I wouldn't subject any coin twist tin to baking that

I was not planning to use post haste.

Mike S.

Mine all have held their seals, but after the tin is popped, I don't care if it seals. I usually smoke them too fast to care, but I also like the flakes to dry out anyways.

I know some will put them in jars, but all of the pipe guys that I grew up around just kept their tobacco in pouches, which dried the tobaccos out anyways.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The only discussion of a problem with square tins, that I recall, had to do with finding rust inside tins of ODF.

IIRC, the rust allegedly forms inside the lid along the adhesive strip. I've seen that only once, and it was with

some other brand that I can't recall. In any event it was never a problem since the seal held fast despite the

trace of rust.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
Thankfully...I've never had an issue with a square / rectangular tin losing its seal prior to the initial opening. That has included some very old tins of 20+ years. I'm very thankful that I've been lucky in this as I know that many others have had issues. That said, once the tin is cracked....the tin itself is useless. All contents go into a mason jar as soon as the original seal is broken. Some circular tins to just fine after the initial opening - but I always jar all of my tobacco once the seal on the tin is broken.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
No one has mentioned whether or not they've heard the vacuum being released when first cracking a square tin. If that doesn't happen I'm thinking the tin was never truly sealed.
tinner

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If the tin is stored at a consistent temperature and does not experience any drastic temperature changes, then it should not matter what it's shape is, the seal should hold. I check all tins before I put them in the cellar, as they have usually come through the mail and experienced some temperature fluctuations. I'll let them gradually adjust to the conditions of my house, then physically and visually check the seals, then put them away.
Also I like to reorganize every year or so, and take that opportunity to check the lot and make sure the seals are in tact.
This system has worked well for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.