Thoughts on Peterson St Patricks 2015 Day blend.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenticular

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
Just received my first tin of Peterson's 2015 Limited Edition St Patricks Day and smoked my first

bowl.....though in an Upshall as I can't yet bring myself to christen my St Patricks Day 2015 pipe !
Can't quite make my mind up about it and wonder has anyone else tried it and has any thoughts?

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I enjoy it, the top note is not too strong and the cube cut is unique - takes a bit to pack down and light, and relight but once its lit it does an ok job of staying lit and the flavor profile is great - being cube cut it doesn't seem to fade away as much.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
To me it had a chemical taste to it. It smells great in the tin but I couldn't get my self to finish a bowl of it. That's just me though.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Another great limited edition aromatic. The top dressing comes through nicely at a great pace. I have to say the chunky cube cut was a bit awkward to load and took a few extra lights to get going, but once it did it practically smoked itself. Didn't get any tongue bite and it burned nice and cool. I'd highly suggest cracking the tin and enjoying it if you like aromatics.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I really enjoyed this blend also. I tried packing it a few different ways and had the best luck rubbing it out and letting it dry for a few minutes before packing. :puffy:

lenticular

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks for the positive replies.

I did enjoy the tobacco but found the cubes a little odd...not come across that before.

Anyway it makes a nice change from my usual plum and rum mixture. As I say I am waiting to try it in my 2015

Limited Edition St Patricks Day pipe.

I found the pipe quite difficult to track down, but I have received one from Germany that I will keep unused

and am awaiting one I found here in the UK which I will smoke.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
A tobacconist brought a box of W.Ø.LARSEN "Belle Epoque" to share, given the St. Patrick's day 2015 edition has already sold out. I enjoyed the fruity smoke with good VA base.

Whether it's really totally the same thing could always leave to the debating pipe-smokers while I already reached for a second or a third bowl. :wink:

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@okiescout

I just tried this Larsen blend at a pipe meeting but do not have it myself. I enjoyed it a lot as an aromatic blend after all, and it seems really unfair to see its ratings on tobacco reviews.com being quite low unlike the 2015 Peterson St. Patty 2015 blend.

The Larsen blend is also available in the local pipe shops that I know here in Germany.

lenticular

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
Thinking that the St Patricks Day tobacco might become difficult to get in the near future

(And I do like it as it burns well and stays lit very easily) I have been taking note of what has been said about W.Ø.LARSEN "Belle Epoque".

I googled it but as yet can't find any suppliers in the UK. I don't think I can import tobacco from the US but wonder if anyone might have suggestions as to suppliers on mainland Europe.

Long shot I know but the interweb is a wonderful thing for stuff like this !!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I can't get this blend to smoke good. Both my wife and I smoked some on St Paddys day in our old pre-republic Peterson's pipes with little success. Found it hard to light and keep lit. The topping seemed rather strong too. So a couple of days later I tried it in a Sasieni dublin, still the same results, hard to keep lit, and smoked rather hot. Next time I tried it in a Savinelli pot, rubbed it out and let it dry about an hour. Same results, hard to light and keep lit, and it smoked rather hot. I'm not a newbie, so I figure I know how to prep tobacco and smoke a pipe, but this stuff is difficult for me for some reason. Not to mention the topping is rather strong for me too. I guess I'll jar it and come back to it later. I like all the other Peterson tobaccos I've tried, but this is a whole nother beast. I'm puzzled to say the least.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The only German I know is how to order a beer and tell a woman she's pretty. I have no idea what that guy is saying in that video and the subtitles on YouTube are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.