PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
All,
I tried to search this on the forum, but didn't see anything that specifically met what I am looking for.
I do not have a single Bulldog in my collection and was contemplating a Peterson 150 shape. I am fully aware that some people have experienced intermittent quality issues with Peterson, but I'm interested on thoughts on their current 150 shape. General smoking quality, dry/cool or overall performance.
If you have alternate recommendations, I normally do not acquire ebay estates; I'm not equipped to refurb them so I'm more interested in ready-to-smoke options.
Thanks for your thoughts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Peterson Around-the-World series bulldog, slight bend, red stain, wide nickel band, shape 80s. I've had it for about six years, fishtail bit. It's a good smoker, no problems, finish has stayed new. I'm entirely satisfied with this version of a Peterson bulldog. Incidentally, this is the Around the World pipe in honor of Ireland.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think if you stick to one of the higher grades, you should be fine (at least it won't be dip-stained).

There seems to be plenty of new ones around.

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/peterson-rosslare-classic-150-tobacco-pipe/

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/index.cfm?shape=22&sortOpt=default&displayNum=48
I like those military bit Ashfords!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
With the bulldog design there is a tendency to heat up as you progress through the bowl because the briar gets thin at the bottom. A stouter bulldog solves this problem. I have a number of 150 and they smoke well but I also have an even greater number of XL 21s (same Pipe as the Sherlock Holmes Hudson) and they smoke even better. This shape is available in Peterson's Kinsale line at very reasonable prices in both a smooth and rusticated finish. Here is an example. This is a St. Patrick's day pipe from 2001

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Thanks; this is the type of input I'm looking for. I have never owned a Peterson, and a long time ago I owned a Jobey Bulldog that I ended up giving to a great friend of mine.
I've really been eye-balling this year's St. Patrick's 150, but I was concerned about the staining process. I am assuming from the reasonable price, that it could be "dip stained" and less durable. Torn, since I love the look of the shape/color.
The XL21 also caught my eye in the Kinsale model. I flat out love a stubbier stout looking pipe; the dimensions seem to really keep the pipe design "tight."
Thank you ssjones and gloucesterman for you help!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I'm pretty sure the dip staining issue is a thing of the past. It really didn't cause any durability issues but it did make break-in an unpleasant experience. Until the cake isolated the stain from the tobacco many people fount it unpleasant. Most,if not all, of the new Petes I've seen larely use a bowl coating.

Another shape you might want to take a look at is the A1. You don't see many around but it has the shape of the XL 21 with the size of the 150. It was included in the Derry Rustic line in 2016 but only available in the European market. In my opinion it incorporates the best features of both shapes.

Peterson 50 Bully is a great shape. I had it in the Aran series but sold it to a friend. I'll stick with atleast their mid-range series for their iconic shapes. Rosslare, Kapp Royal, Royal Irish, Roundstone etc.
As Dutch commented earlier, XL21 is also a dashing bully variation.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Thanks to all for the responses. After consideration, I ordered a St. Patrick's 2017 150. Interestingly enough, the 150 has some slight variations to the bowl shape (and seems to have 2 variations), and the one I ordered is close to an XL21 shank but stays a 150 shape.
Pics when I get it.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
This shape is available in Peterson's Kinsale line at very reasonable prices in both a smooth and rusticated finish. Here is an example. This is a St. Patrick's day pipe from 2001
Glousterman - here's some irony. I did order the 150 St. Patrick's for 2017; but last week, on IPSD Weekend, I found a 2001 St. Patrick's XL 21. Wild that you showed me the 2001 example from your collection, and then I find one.
Pipe-Karma? :lol:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Go ahead splurge. You won't be sorry you did. But beware, my collection is almost all Rhodies and Dogs and the XL 21 is one of the best smoking of the lot. It can be addictive.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Go ahead splurge. You won't be sorry you did.
Oh, I already "splurged" and smoked the first bowl on my back porch.
I keep telling my wife that PAD is like Hotwheels - sure you already have a bunch, but you always want that one more.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Just saw this on eBay.

s-l1600.jpg

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Woah.. what a pipe! I think it's best that it's a one-off as I would probably waste all day staring at it were it mine. By the way, either you either live in a tobacconists shop or you have the most appropriate lounge I've ever seen. Kudo's on both and thanks for the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.