PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Okay, so I've ran a few bowls of Straight Up English and Salty Dogs through my birth year Dunhill, and here's what I'm thinking after a dismal experience with one of their newer Ruby Bark billiards a few years ago. The '74 shell is somewhere in size between a Dr. Grabow "The Big Pipe", and a Peterson "B56" billiard. Drilling is spot on, and though comfortable to clench, after some time it does become a bit bowl heavy. The Shell finish provides a nice tactile experience, and its flatness along the length of its underside makes it a rock solid sitter.

Smoking is fairly effortless, as it has a very open draw, and at times it will nearly smoke itself if packed too loosely. The airflow is that open. The bowl gets pleasantly warm, but never hot to the touch, and have experienced only dry smokes and no gurgles. As far as I can tell, the tenon sits flush at the bottom of the mortise as no whistle or other sounds are noticeable during smoking. Not bad really. Probably won't make me go chasing another Dunhill, but this little guy will be welcome as a pocket, driving, or work pipe. 6/10
Untitled-150-300x300.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You know, that is an interesting question. Early Grabow's can be dated by serial stamping.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I would love to find an unsmoked 1989 or 90 Dr. Grabow full bent, smooth, billiard in the top of the line level. I don't know what it was called, but it was the nicest level they sold at my local drug store. It would be cool to retry the pipe that got me into the game so-to speak.

Oct 7, 2016
You seem to have gotten a good example of what a Dunhill should be from a fit and finish standpoint. If your experience is like mine, you will place a higher value on that aspect as time goes by

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You seem to have gotten a good example of what a Dunhill should be from a fit and finish standpoint. If your experience is like mine, you will place a higher value on that aspect as time goes by
It shares the same quality aspects as my Bruce Weaver pieces. He himself is a Dunhill collector, and it would seem the older pieces are fine smoking instruments when compared to their newer offerings. If I do get any more Dunhill pipes, they will definitely have some age on them.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Duane, I know people say there is no difference between older and newer Dunnies, but I've owned two Dunhills from the 70's, one was a CK that smoked fantastic and the other was a Redbark that smoked like a soggy swamp like mess. I own a Dunhills that are pre-1963, my birthyeay and they all smoke flawlessly. I'm currently smoking a 1937 Dunnie with Vernon tenon and it is probably my Dunhill to date.
I really think there's something to the older wood, engineering and fitment.
Obviously everyone is different and YMMV.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I'm inclined to agree. The Ruby Bark I owned was a 2009, and the drilling was terrible. A straight pipe that couldn't pass a pipe cleaner. Drilling on the '74 Shell is flawless.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Yes, Duane bought a Dunhill. [:mrgreen:]
I am baffled that you did it but can totally understand your less than enthusiastic review. I bought several (estate) Dunnies and found that they are good pipes but I have better smokers that were dirt cheap too. What does Dunhills does best is nailing the classic shapes. Too bad it comes at a price...

Oct 7, 2016
The 1970's Dunhills varied tremendously in fit and finish. I wouldn't put a % on it, but there are many examples that are everything a Dunhill should be. Other than fit and finish, the other variable with Shells is blast. Many are just plain bland.
I have never had a Ruby Bark, but the two Redbarks I owned were quality smokes. Sold them both to a man named Ed Lehman, who had a wonderful collection of them.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Duane, you mention that it has a good draw. Do you know the diameter of the airway, by any chance?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Not right off, but it is one of the larger diameters in my collection. Much like my Weaver and other artisan pieces.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
In 2012 I was lucky enough to come across an old Ed Burak pipe that was stamped with my birth year and month for $14, so it's possible to find a non-dhill if you keep those peepers open.

Status
Not open for further replies.