PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I'm writing to you, my esteemed pipe smoking peers to get your take in Pease' Jackknife plug. I've only been smoking a pipe for 9 months and am at a point where I really like dark fired Kentucky. Two tobaccos at the top of my list are Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and Peterson's Irish Flake. How does Jackknife compare in flavor to these blends? I find the Peterson very full flavored but with a nice underlying sweetness and the Orlik much sweeter but with that really nice deep dark component. Also, I don't have any experience with plugs. Is the preparation difficult? How do you do it? Thanks very much.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If you like those blends, I think you'll like Jackknife. Unlike Irish Flake, it has minimal added sugar (if any) and no additional flavorings, but it has a really nice natural sweetness from the VAs. I smoke Irish Flake regularly, but Jackknife is probably one of my very favorites.
As for preparation, if you have any experience using a knife, it's pretty easy. Just slice off flakes and either rub them out or cube cut them.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I've never tried it, but I ordered a tin last week that should arrive tomorrow. I'm going to start sampling the GL Pease blends to see whether I should start rounding out my cellar with some or not.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
get your take in Pease' Jackknife plug
If you like DFK, then Jackknife is "the one". The standard by which DFK blends are measured. It doesn't have any (noticeable) toppings or casings. The virginias give it just a tiny touch of sweetness and balance, but the DFK is the main player by far. Also, it's the "real deal" DFK. Grown in West Ky/Northwest Tn. Some blenders use DFK from Africa, and the climate, soil conditions, and types of woods used for firing make for a DFK that just isn't the same.
Also, I don't have any experience with plugs. Is the preparation difficult? How do you do it?
Slice as thin as possible with an extremely sharp knife. Actually, I often use a straight razor blade for the job. Take the thin slices and rub them out fully. Dry about 30 minutes and enjoy.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
JKP is a fantastic smoke and you can start with the Ready Rubbed version if you want.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for all the comments. I'll pick some up soon. I had some hh old dark fired months ago and felt it was too strong then but my tastes have changed and I hope jackknife will be as good as i imagine based on your feedback.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the input. How would you say Jackknife plug compares to HH Old Dark Fired in terms of strength, natural sweetness, etc.? Thanks again.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
IMHO:
ODF is a deeper, richer "sweet & smoky" that has been steamed and pressed.
JKP is a little less smoky and the Golden Virginia adds more brightness and "grassy / hay" flavors.
As for strength ... that's fairly individual and I would rate them both a solid medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.