Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Thoughts On Esoterica's Packaging!

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Whenever I have bought Penzance in the past I have always jarred it. Today I received 1 lb of Stonehaven which was a part of a trade. I have seen other threads on the mylar bags that they package in. Could be tiny holes and the sort. I looked at the bags and shined a flashlight all over them and saw no holes. Am I safe leaving the tobacco in the package or should I jar the stuff?

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. galeon

Steve

Login to Send PM

I haven't purchased any of the stuff yet, but the way I think about it, if there's been problem in the past, there could be one in the future with your bag. I'd jar it. It's worth the hassle to save a pound of a great baccy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. irishsmoker

irishsmoker

Login to Send PM

Play it safe and jar it brother!

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." - Charles Lamb
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'd think it should be OK in the sealed bag for a while. But if it worries you, jar it. Personally, when I open the bag, I'd take a bit for the pouch and jar the rest. Sorry, an opened bag doesn't do a thing for me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hells Fire,I gave up on the stuff,It's harder to latch on to than dragon shit or big foot!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It should be OK for a few years at least. If you are worried and do not wish to jar it up, stick it in a good tupperware container, something with a very tight seal and it will last even longer.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's harder to latch on to than dragon shit or big foot!!

Yeah. Try jarring one of those.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. beewrangler2

beewrangler2

Login to Send PM

+1 Philip

Professional Bee Handler, If you see me running, you should follow.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. sjpipesmoker

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I havent heard anything about their bags having tiny holes in it, but you don't want to lose a hard to find tobacco...so I'd jar it

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. oldredbeard

oldredbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 mrenglish, I have a few Lock n Lock containers I use that way, so if there is a hole or if I just don't get it closed as good as it should be, its still air tight.

I'm not complaining.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. sjpipesmoker

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found this page regarding the foil packaging from Esoterica...

http://tobaccocellar.com/blog/2011/01/cellaring-in-foil-baggies.html

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. goalee1

goalee1

Login to Send PM

There have been several threads on this but like mentioned, if you're concerned at all, can't hurt to jar it. I personally leave it in the bag, unless the bag doesn't feel airtight ( I was at a shop once and a bag of Margate was not as tightly sealed as the others). When I first saw the Stonehaven thread on the bags, I looked at the pics and yes you could see light through the little "holes". I thought I'd see personally and so I emptied a bag, shined a light through it and yes you can see tiny places where the light shined through but when I filled the bag with water, no leaks. I concluded that the cream coloring on the outside just had worn off. Again, if you're even a little bit concerned, just jar it. G1

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. steelman

steelman

Login to Send PM

Dave...I have also heard about the small holes in their packaging.

What I've done is place the entire package in a large stainless steel Mason type jar. It's not made by Mason...I bought it in one of those Home Goods stores. Looks like a large cookie jar with a rubber gasket seal.....

One of these large containers holds 3-4 bags easily.

"Success needs no explanation; failure does not have one that matters..."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I personally would jar anything that comes in plastic. Why take a risk that it could develop pin holes after so many years.

Harris
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please jar it. From personal experience, please jar it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought a couple of bags of Penzance at the show yesterday. One had the extra Foodsaver vacuum sealed plastic packaging that someone put on it. Both were from May 2011. They both also felt to be about the same moisture level when I opened them to put into jars. Both smelled the same. So these two bags were good for 15 months at least.

Of course I would rather leave the tobacco in their neat little Mylar type bags for storage but I will sleep well knowing that my Penzance is jarred safely away for that sure to be memorable day in the future.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. zyrcon

zyrcon

Login to Send PM

I just got in some Stonehaven and this is what I found. The corner of the plastic tray inside has cut through the foil pouch. No harm, no foul, since I planned on breaking it down into a couple of small jars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A good rule-of-thumb when deciding to jar a tobacco is the smell test. If you can smell the tobacco through the package, either smoke it or jar it. If you can smell it, the flavor is escaping and the tobaccos freshness will diminish rapidly. Jarring stops this process and keeps it fresh. The same rule applies to storing coffee.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I jar all tobacco that comes in mylar bags soon (within a week or so) after receipt. I don't want an unseen pinhole or faulty heat welded seam to surprise me with dry, ruined tobacco after long term aging. Besides, most of it would go into jars anyway when I open it.

As Chris says above here, I sleep better at night knowing the tobacco is safely sealed and aging as intended.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   newbroom, disinformatique, wyfbane, dmcmtk, pruss, retrogasm, andystewart, dragonslayer, gamxiaoyuan