PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
My tastes outside of Latakia blends tends to be fickle. The two blends I absolutely enjoy outside of English blends are Dunhill Navy Rolls and MacB ODF (have 4 lbs of that stuff - love it).
So seeing how I detest pure VAs - I was happy I found a Vaper I enjoyed in Dunhills Navy Rolls, it lead me to buy a few other Vapers to try.
Enter Beacon Extra.....
I like a few of McClellands blends, but they seem to be more nuanced and light. I’ve yet to be blown away by any of their blends, but I do know they have quality VAs and the reviews seemed to say that this blend had a nice dose of perique so my interest was piqued.
So I fired up my bowl and early on I found myself enjoying it. Again, it was very balanced, nothing overwhelming the other but it was yet another instance where I found myself wanting more.
As the bowl continued I was happy with my purchase as the perique came through well enough but then the bowl immediately turned for the worst. Halfway all I could taste was ash. The flavor just disappeared. This continued all the way to the end and left me wondering what happened? It was just bland ash and some acidity - nothing I would consider enjoyable.
Would love everyone’s opinion but I’m just thinking outside of Frog Morton as a light smoking English I’m just giving up on McClelland.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Halfway all I could taste was ash.
If the heap of leaf in the bowl expanded or caramelized, as VAs tend to do, it can get hotter at the same time it requires more draw, creating a kind of "death spiral" for the bowl. How well does the leaf pack? The more sugary tobaccos seem to be prone to this, but sometimes drying a bit helps a lot.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Might want to give Fillmore a go. Very consistent, tons of perique and a wee nip of lat to keep things savory. Reminds me a bit of fresh draught fat tire.
I’ve had good luck with Beacon Extra.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
If the heap of leaf in the bowl expanded or caramelized, as VAs tend to do, it can get hotter at the same time it requires more draw, creating a kind of "death spiral" for the bowl. How well does the leaf pack? The more sugary tobaccos seem to be prone to this, but sometimes drying a bit helps a lot.

This is a great explanation! I was just going to say the baccy was too hot.
How did you prepare the baccy? Fold & stuff, rubbed out, cube cut. Try another prep or pipe. The consensuses is pot shaped bowls are for Latakia blends. BS! I've found out I enjoy my VaPers more in the pot shape than any other.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm a big fan of everything McClelland but also give Rattray's Marlin Flake a try. I popped my first tin of it a few days ago and it's great.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I get that ashy taste from time to time, but never really with Virginia's. Typically burleys will do that,especially, when I smoke a little to vigously. I recommend ashing a little to prevent that and pull back on the puff-o-meter

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Thoughts? Everybody likes extra bacon. :lol:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=2265&bih=1200&ei=MptuWsLEC8PRzwL_0Ji4AQ&q=%22extra+bacon%22&oq=%22extra+bacon%22&gs_l=img.3..0i30k1j0i8i30k1l4j0i30k1l2j0i5i30k1j0i8i30k1l2.3389.8612.0.8940.15.15.0.0.0.0.45.553.13.13.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..2.12.518.0..0.0.GetqlUXnolA

Status
Not open for further replies.