PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
This obsession started with cigars. I like most Cuban smokes to be low 60% range, definitely below 65%. Nicaraguans, I like more towards 70%. This is more, to me, controlling burn issues than looking for changes in flavours.
So, I searched for a long time to find a preferred Rh for pipe tobacco. As a Noob to pipes, it was always frustrating me to find the right humidity. Thanks to Mr. Pease, I did find that article he wrote. Now this brings in another bit of an issue. With cigars, you have a box of various sizes, to a cooler, wine-ador, even converted curio cabinets where you can have one electronic device to tell you (with varying accuracy) the Rh in that storage unit, fine, that's easy. However, that doesn't work for pipe tobaccos unless you have dozens of tiny hygrometers to fit in each tin or jar. And I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't want different blends in the same humidor so one hygrometer covers everything in that unit. I for one don't want my FVF in the same box besides my BCF along with Coniston Cut Plug.
So you're left with basically one single method; feel. If all tobaccos were of one single cut, that would be easy. But if you consider for example; McClelland's broken flake, something very hard like McClellands 2035 or Dark Star, Gawith & Hoggarth flakes, PS Cube Cut, shag cut, ribbon cut, plug, rope, coins (I.e.: PS Luxury Bullseye Flake), I find it quite impossible to know humidity of each type by feel.
There are times when I pull out a flake that feels perfect; smooth, kind of oily and smelling divine. I fold it in pref for rubbing out or stuffing, and it turns to dust.
There are times, like last night after supper, when I cut some coins of Brown #4 and Black XX to mix. The rope felt nice, the coins and resulting ribbon after rubbing felt perfect, but I thought I was going to need a soldering torch to light it.
Dark Star or 2035 is a total crap shoot.
I know it's just me (maybe), but this really takes away from the pleasure of smoking. I believe one of the easiest ways would be to limit my future purchases to a couple of types of cut, like GH flakes and shag cut, or something like that. But I am limiting myself from so many wonderful blends.
So I know my cellar is tiny compared to those of so many members here. I can't imagine how someone else does it.
Any suggestions for me?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If a jar is properly sealed, its contents are not going to lose humidity to a measurable extent over a significant period.
So, I bought one tiny hygrometer for ten bucks via Amazon, and simply pop it into whatever bag or jar I want to check. It does take time to stabilize, and the readings can be off by several percentage points, but it's been invaluable to me to sort of calibrate my feel of tobacco. I'm trying all sorts of blends and cuts, with varying starting moisture levels.
One bag of tobacco left in the retailer's flimsy pouch of plastic dropped down to 55% rH in two weeks. I knew it was dry, but not that dry! So I dropped a bit of wet terra cotta in, brought it up to 85%, and rejarred it. My house has an rH of between 45-60%, and mileage varies greatly across the country and season to season, even day to day at times. HTH.

Mar 1, 2014
Write everything down so that you know what works.

I dried my Brown Bogie to a crisp and it was like trying to light a wet rag, unless your moisture meter has a setting to tell you what cut the tobacco needs it won't do you any good.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
After I posted that's what came to me.
Never heard someone use the term relative humidity when speaking about pipe tobacco though. It's always been just moisture level/content. Then there are the scales of desert sand on the dry side and drowned rat on the wet side.
I thought Per Jensen said in a video that Mac Baren has the humidity at around 18-20% when the blends are tinned.
The 50% and 80% seems rather high to me. Wouldn't that be too wet to light?

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Buy a moisture meter from Ebay (via China). They cost about $20.00

I like my tobacco to be about 12-16%. Most of the commercial stuff I've tested is 30 to 43% with the exception of White Night, it was 18%.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
For me it's more about experience and experimenting. I don't monitor my humidity at all nor do I care. I know tobacco X when I take out out of a mason jar needs 2 to 3 hours to dry properly and tobacco Y can be smoked out of the jar. That's just from trial and error. Yes you can tell a lot from feel and how clumpy the tobacco is but that doesn't exactly apply to all styles of tobacco.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I have a differing opinion. I feel that pipe tobacco is not meant to be subject to scientific experiments and data that can positively guarantee consitency of flavor and burn. Too many factors involved, rh as you call it, temperature, humidity of environemnt, pipe used etc etc etc. It seems trial and error is best, but I enjoy the differences and the seemingly neverending search for that epic bowl. Most are good but everu so often the epic ones really put us in our special pipe place. If I reached that place in every bowl, I may not appreciate it as much.

Jun 4, 2014
Not having to be a slave to the hydrometer is one of the great things about pipe smoking! Keeping a tobacco journal may help you along.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There's a big difference—huge in fact—between relative humidity and moisture content. Moisture content of a pipe tobacco is usually in the teen figures; relative humidity found in a jar, measured by a hygrometer, has a much wider range, but for me, 50% RH is very low, not yet dust, but too dry to smoke enjoyably. At mid 90's and above, you have a clumpy mess. So somewhere in the 80's is right for me for most tobaccos.
And relative humidity changes with temperature, though if everything is measured indoors the variations aren't as great.
A journal is a good idea. I now write the RH on jars as I seal them up, along with the date and, who knew, the name of the blend!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There's a big difference—huge in fact—between relative humidity and moisture content. Moisture content of a pipe tobacco is usually in the teen figures; relative humidity found in a jar, measured by a hygrometer, has a much wider range, but for me, 50% RH is very low, not yet dust, but too dry to smoke enjoyably. At mid 90's and above, you have a clumpy mess. So somewhere in the 80's is right for me for most tobaccos.
I never gave any thought to the relative humidity inside the jar that I'm storing my bulks in. Living in Las Vegas I'm sure it's lower than most places. It really doesn't matter to me. I'm more concerned with the moisture level of the leaf.
When it comes to tins though they're vaccuum sealed, so wouldn't the relative humidity inside the tin be whatever it was when it was sealed?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
When it comes to tins though they're vaccuum sealed, so wouldn't the relative humidity inside the tin be whatever it was when it was sealed?
Relative humidity depends on temperature and the pressure of the system of interest. Mac Baren flat tins, for example,

are sealed at 40% of atmospheric pressure; so that certainly will confound one's calculations.
You shouldn't need an advanced degree in physics to enjoy a pipe. :wink:
Go back and re-read samcoffeeman's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.