PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Over the weekend, a dear friend, and a pipe smoking student of mine confided in me some personal issues, and made an attempt at taking his life. He survived the attempt, and is currently seeking professional help to work out his problems, and get his life back on track. I ask anyone reading this to raise a pipe for our brother, and maybe say a little prayer for his well being. Though a grown man, he is young enough to be one of my kids, and often think of him as such, and am wishing him all the best in his time of need.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Glad that he survived, life can get really tough but I think every person should see the bottom at least once in a lifetime, I wish him all the best.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Duane having battled suicidal depression myself,my thoughts go out to your friend.
I'm glad to hear he is getting help and hopefully he will fight on. He is fortunate to have a good friend like you in his corner.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thanks guys, he is a really great guy, and has always been there for me when I was having a rough time.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'll say a little prayer for him an ask for a little blessing for you. True good friends that will stick with you thru the hard times are hard come by. Obviously you both are true friends for each other.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Bummer. Hope your buddy is able to find his way to the love and beauty this world has to offer. With a pal like you he can't help but find his footing.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
With a friend like you Duane, I wonder how he could feel so down as to want to end his life? But maybe this was really meant as a first step for his getting back up on his feet!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Duane I know the feeling of waiting for the hammer to drop, had a son I cringed when he went in his room as to if he would make it out. Need more people like you Duane, not everyone is on an even keel during their course in life, glad you're there to help him, good man you are.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Been there three separate times in my life with one actual attempt. It's a seriously scary and lonely place to be. Any talking at all is a very good sign. It's silence that's dangerous.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing this. As someone who has struggled with depression and suicidal thoughts and impulses most of my life, I would ask (not to advise or pontificate or to lay a burden on you that isn't yours to bear, just respectfully to ask as someone who's been on the other side) that if you have even an inkling of a thought to call this person and say "hey, no BS, how you doin'?", then do it. The smallest expression of concern can save a life. I've been there, it's a scary and lonely place.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he finds the help he needs, and I know he's getting all the support you can provide. I've dealt with depression, and, as many others have mentioned here, it's scary - both for who's suffering from it, and for those who love them.
All the best to him, and to you!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thank you for the kind words everyone. When we first met it was instant friendship. I corrupted enlightened him to the ways of pipe smoking, and him with his large handlebar mustache encouraged me to attempt growing one. I've passed along a link to this thread to him so he can see a bit of kindness and hopefully a smile.

Jun 27, 2016
Hopefully he finds some answers, and he will continue to talk to you and others who care about him when he has these types of problems, whatever they may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.