PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
To see over 300 tables filled with pipes is an amazing thing. It was hard to even focus and it could give you moments of feeling overwhelmed at the sheer volume of pipes so that you couldn't even really see what you were looking at. There were old, estate pipes that had weathered the test of time. There were new pipes from established "factories" such as Peterson, Savinelli, and Dunhill. There were pipes from individual makers. Some were beautiful. Some were hideous. They came from all over and no one pipe really looked the same. There were cobs for under 5 dollars and pipes that ranged into the thousands. Meerschaums, Mortas, Briars, Cobs, Olivewood, you name it - they were all there. Yet they all shared the same thing in common - they were pipes. They were made to be smoked, to be enjoyed, to be treasured by whoever's hands they were in. It didn't matter how ugly or cheap or beautiful or what they were made out of. They were made to be smoked, to be loved, to be cared for, and cherished. And they were. All of them were admired. All of them had care in their creation. All of them were gingerly handled as though they were precious. I found myself wishing there were more pipe smokers in the world - more people that understood the care and love that went into creating something and could appreciate the value of something that maybe wasn't for them, but that someone else may love and appreciate it. Imagine... Just imagine how different, how wonderful, how amazing life would be if everyone treated people the way pipe smokers treat pipes...

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
Your description has me itching to go to the show next year. Couldn't make it this year.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Well said and wouldn't not indeed be a better place if more humans slowed down a bit and enjoyed a pipe.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Beautifully written, Quincy.
I had the privilege of attending the Chicagoland Pipe Show for my first time last year. It was just amazing. I've never seen anything like it, and probably won't go again. But, at least I can say that once, I went to the mountain.
Pipe smokers are the mind workers of the world.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, that's an incredible picture of the scene. My local show (TAPS in N.C.) is on a much smaller scale, but still pretty expansive once you get focused on it. I would really have to narrow my focus at such a large show, and have in mind what I wanted to see and what I was looking for in specific brands, shapes, finishes and size, etc. Or else I would go off the deep end and bring home pipes I might hardly remember why I'd bought. On the other hand, such a large show, with so many participants, is a prime chance to get to know pipers of all kinds -- carvers, sales reps, tobacconists, pipe smokers of all ages, experience levels, and knowledge sets. The Chicago show may be about the largest in North America, maybe the world, for all I know. Thank you for the good run-down. Glad you went.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Well said quincy. It is undoubtedly the largest pipe show in the world with exhibitors/carvers from over 45 different countries. Always a disappointment to see the week come to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.