Tags:  No tags yet. 

Thoughts About Briarworks

(27 posts)
  • Started 1 week ago by slowwideturns
  • Latest reply from jaytex969
  1. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

Does anyone have a Briarworks? They seem nice for the price range.

j.k. livin'... the j's for just the k's for keep
    Posted 1 week ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

tkcolo

Login to Send PM

I have 6 and I really like them. Acrylic stems, solid, well-drilled American made factory pipe. I like their story. I'd put them slightly above Savinelli and peterson mid-range. The blasted C111 is my favorite. There is a smooth estate C111 on ebay that didn't get a bid this morning, and was re-upped for another week. Buy it, so I won't buy another:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Briarworks-Rhodesian/173674966854?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Db735634cd4084e1e875c19d5fffffbcd%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D173674960721%26itm%3D173674966854&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A06f13898-f81a-11e8-a286-74dbd180cd17%7Cparentrq%3A7b7e3e4c1670a9c550a50f0dfff78ee9%7Ciid%3A1

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawmax3

Login to Send PM

I have a smooth Bullmoose and it is a very well made pipe.
    Haven't had it very long so it's not fully broken in yet.
    It came with a some sort of carbonized bowl coating that I didn't care for.
    Other than that, I am happy with it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

I'm already watching that one tkcolo haha. I'm glad to hear this, I'll probably get a couple of theirs for the collection.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

I do not own one, but they have a few nice looking designs and I have read some positive comments. However, I can’t help but notice the steady stream of estates that become available on a weekly basis at Smoking Pipes. Not sure what to make of that.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. raevans

raevans

Login to Send PM

They seem like they are a pretty good bang for the buck pipe. I believe that Briarworks also makes Moonshine Pipes.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Moonshine Devil Anse and it’s a very well constructed pipe that smokes nicely. I’d buy another.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent pipes for the money.

Michael
    Posted 1 week ago #
  9. civilwar

civilwar

Login to Send PM

I have several Briarworks and Moonshine pipes and they are excellent!! Definitely worth looking into. I think the briar is superior for the price range.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My epic argument with Turd-Pipe, Todd Johnson on here when he started this company sort of turned me off to them. But, to be honest, I have kept my eye on them, looking for one that might visually appeal to me, but I just haven't found one that has the right lines and shapes that I look for in a pipe. So, whether he is still involved with these pipes anymore or not, I just haven't seen one that I would buy. But, I hear that they are great smokers from lots of guys. But, for the money, there are a lot of other pipemakers that make the pipes that appeal to me.

Michael
    Posted 1 week ago #
  11. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

I've got a couple of the briarworks and moonshine classic shapes as well as a sandblasted devil anse. All are excellent smokers. I'll gladly buy more in the future and am always on the lookout for a good deal on an estate briarworks or moonshine pipe that strikes my fancy.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"A good pipe for the money." Sometimes I say that when I mean it's a damned good pipe, but I don't want to rain on the high-priced pipe parade. I have some somewhat higher end pipes which I do treasure.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

Briarworks has some new pipes being released today at noon. Looks like a line of Devil Anse.

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

I haven't seen anything yet. Unless the morta is new?

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hear from many that they are solid smokers, well drilled, and worth the money. I have also never seen one that I had to have, but I have heard from many who I respect that they are solid pipes.

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. civilwar

civilwar

Login to Send PM

Unless the morta is new?

Yes, I believe the morta is new. Just picked up a morta Devil Anse. I just can't resist a morta pipe.

Posted 1 week ago #
  17. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have only one. It's the competition pipe from the Chicago slow smoke contest. The United Pipe Clubs of America offered them to affiliate members son our club got 9 of them. It's a nice little poker and a steal for the money.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

I have a morta Rhodawg with a yellow steam. It’s rather on the smallish side, great for a short smoke. It is a great smoker, when I go to my racks to pick out a pipe my eyes fall on it. For the money I don’t think you could find another pipe any better. I simply love mine.

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Speaking of Briarworks, the HMFIC---Pete Prevost---is one of the most pleasant and likable people you'll ever meet anywhere, in or out of the pipeworld. And I DON'T mean in that pleasant-but-meaningless Golden Retriever way... He's very sharp, well informed, loves turning ideas into reality, and thinks longterm in addition to day-to-day.

I've only met the rest of the BW crew in passing, but they all seem impressive as well.

It's an excellent example of the management adage, "A's hire A's, but B's hire C's."

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 week ago #
  20. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I purchased a bent pot from BriarWorks early this year and I’m very happy with it.
    It’s a good smoker and looks good doing it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  21. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree, Pete Prevost is one of the coolest guys in the world in general. Really down to earth nice humble guy who makes an amazing pipe. He knows A LOT about pipe carving and he's pretty much always up to talk about it. As always do the courtesy of not getting into the secrets of what medium do you use for blasting or what do you use for your rustication etc.. Leave those to be offered by the carver if they wish on their own.

Pete, Sam, Micah, and Bill are doing some great things at the Briarworks factory.

For the price you're not going to find a better made factory pipe, period, end of story.

I picked up a corduroy finish light stain'd 1/8th bent volcano from them the year Briarworks debuted. It's been a fantastic smoker ever since. I also picked up one of their Bambino pipes, a short nosewarmer with a quite regular sized bowl. It's been fantastic and at the West Coast Show Pete said they were thinking about doing another run of the Bambinos next year. This year at the West Coast Show I picked up one of their briar calabash pipes. Waiting for Christmas Day to break it in with some 4yr old Escudo. Just an FYI he did say they don't make a lot of the briar calabashes, so if you see one and you're thinking about it don't think just do and buy it. Now that the morta Devil Anse pipes are out I feel okay saying he also mentioned they are looking to put out some morta bowls for the briar calabash. I'm hoping he ends up adding his signature long shank'd Dublin sitter into the Briarworks line, but no idea how feasible that'd be to put into production.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 week ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everyone shits on Golden Retrievers until they need something retrieved.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  23. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't been around many dogs that will sit there while you shit on them. I would assume you would have a cold wet nose saying hello before that.

Posted 1 week ago #
  24. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My sister had one named Roofus. Roofus the Goofus. Sweetest dog ever. It also had the the intellect of a gerbil.

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still wouldn't send a Golden. That breed couldn't find a pork chop in a phone booth. There are a few good hunting lines still around, but most are nothing but pet quality these days. Sad. But I digress.

I have a Briarworks smooth poker and it's a great smoker as well as a pretty piece of briar. I would put them ahead of Sav and Peterson.

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 1 week ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suppose there is a reason they didn't name the breed "Golden Rocket Surgeon"!

Posted 1 week ago #
  27. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I concur with George and LOTPR. Pete & company are swell fellows putting out a good product.

I snagged my first poker while visiting their old facility about a year and a half ago.

You can read about that adventure HERE.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mechanic, zitotczito, bradical, donjgiles, ashdigger, buckaroo, chasingembers, cranseiron, ron123, blackadderlxx