PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Sitting next to the table housing my pipes, tobaccos and so forth, there is a constant smell of stale smoke and ash. I assume it's the pipes as the bowls never exactly smell like roses once one begins to smoke them. From time to time, the smell is a bit strong, able to smell it when walk in from outside.
Is there anything that can be used to get rid of this smell? I wonder if anyone has made a pipe cabinet with UV or other air cleaning device? I know my local shoe repair has had a cabinet that he would use to kill the odor in shoes.
I have about 10 pipes and I do a general cleaning through out the week consisting of wiping out the bowl using paper towels, and changing the filters. One a month I take apart the pipes and clean the bits, shank and bowls using 90% rubbing alcohol.
I can't be the only one having this issue. Doesn't want the wife or others to say "those pipes stink."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I rather like the reek of a well used pipe. There's is not a lot you can do about it but cleaning and airing out. Some tolerate the smell or become inured to it. You simply cannot remove all of the residue from a used pipe. The reek is in the wood, meer, etc and especially the cake.
A candle, maybe an ionizer, air fresheners, open windows will help abate the smell but, it comes with the habit.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Make sure you get those used filters out of the pipes that have them. Nothing stinks like a soggy baccy-juice soaked filter. Sounds like you may be doing that pretty regularly already, but be rigorous.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
I found out that by taking a pipe cleaner folding it in two and cleaninig the inside of the bowl after every smoke I can reduce the smell almost comletly. It makes less cake but smells much better ( thank you uTube :) ).

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I don't know if it helps but I clean out the stem after each smoke and let that pipe have a good rest. I keep a small bottle of Bacardi with my pipe cleaners. My wife actually asked if I was smoking more then said," I have been enjoying the smell of your pipes!" I didn't see that coming. :puffy:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I smoke in the house and in my den. I don't find it particularly stinky. My den smells like a pipe shop, but I also have a candle melter that has a leather scent to it(see below). So, that helps.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I clean my pipe bowls and stem after I am done with the pipe. But Sometimes between my wall rack and the one on my bench they do have a dirty ashtray smell. I found a large heavy flat bottomed glass bowl about 3 " deep and 6" across. I keep it filled with baking soda. I stir it ever once in a while. I did replace the soda after the first year I used it. I do that from year to year. It really seems to help. I keep the soda right by the wall rack.

As mentioned a candle will help. Good luck.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
17vh1g.png

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I keep enough 'sample sized' jars of what i am currently smoking that the tobacco smells completely overpowers the smell of my pipes. My little pipe cubby smells just like the Tinderbox near my house... lol

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd say try to keep from letting the pipes sit around for a long time without having run a pipe cleaner through the stem and in the bowl.
The baking soda helps a lot. My girl just bought one of the small boxes with the tearaway piece to absorb the odors and put it behind one of the racks in my pipe cabinet. Now that stale smoke smell is pretty much gone.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
A quick thank you to all that read and replied. Some funny comments guys!
To: BillyPM -
get those used filters out of the pipes
I have 3 corn cobs with paper filters. I generally toss then once a week -sooner if I've smoked the pipe a lot and the filter looks raunchy, later if I've not smoked it much. Question - how often do you change out your filters?
To: PapaJoe -
cleaning the inside of the bowl after every smoke
I need to be more diligent with that practice.
To: Buster -
Bacardi with my pipe cleaners
I wished to 90% rubbing alcohol. I found I was drinking too much Bacardi.
to: okiescout and lordofthepipering - I'll have to try the baking soda trick. Might just help out.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I don't ever use filters, so my advice is skewed. But I am pretty sure a filter will stink after even one smoke. Think about it-- these are juices you don't want in your smoke, so you catch them in a filter, save them, and let them evaporate into your house. Hmmm...

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I keep my pipe rack inside, but smoke in the workshop, i keep a constant rotation of leaving the pipe of the day to rest till the following day in workshop before bringing it back inside to put back in the rack, so long as they are all clean its a fairly muted smell inside.
Isaac.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I do using a plastic coffee can with 1/2" coffee on the bottom and cover by paper towel.

After each smoke clean with cleaner and put into the coffee can for one day or two.

After that put in to the pipe drawer until next smoking for natural dry up.

Status
Not open for further replies.