PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Having returned to pipe smoking after a brief (but expensive) fling with cigars, I've rediscovered that the best tobacco flavor and aroma are in the last bits of tobacco at the bottom of the bowl. Has anyone else experienced this? And is there a "scientific" explanation?

64alex

May 10, 2016
I find the opposite with the first half of the bowl being the best and most flavorful and at the end getting more ashy and less tasty and in complex blends difficult to discern the different components as at the beginning.

It is true that at the end it becomes stronger and particularly if you are coming from cigars maybe this is why you like more at the end as you maybe looking for a stronger taste. Not all the tobaccos are the same, some are most consistent from start to end and these are generally the ones I prefer but I never found one blend which is better at the end in term of taste.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Some say the dottle is sweeter. Holmes saved his for three pipe problems

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
My experience is the opposite as well, more bitter and bitey the last third or fourth of the bowl. Good to see you again 4dot. It has been quite a while

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Welcome back 4dot, nice to hear from you again. As to your query, I enjoy the middle of the bowl best, but I do enjoy the bottom 1/8 or so, as long as I remember to dump the ash beforehand, otherwise it can be too ashy tasting to me trying to get the last of the unburnt tobacco without resmoking the dregs.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pretty much good—and about the same— from top to bottom for me. If it's not so good at the end, I blow gently through the stem to get the burn down as far as possilble. That way I end up with a dry pipe.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I am glad to see you back as well. My thought is that all the tobacco is acting as a filter so it picks up much of the flavor of the bowl as it burns. I would also think that you have smoked enough to make it all burn consistently to the bottom. So you may be able to not smoke ash while getting the last little bit of tobacco burned.
Back in the 40's, I think, there were a few pipes made with a briar bowl that screwed into the briar shank and stem. You were supposed to put tobacco in the lower bowl to act as a filter.

Dec 28, 2015
I'm a middle man myself. I am currenlty debating whether to dump this last bit of ashy dottle but just can't bring myself to do it.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Thank you all for the "welcome back."
snagstangl, I do seem to remember those pipes with the lower bowl -- I think I saw some still on display in a tobacco shop near Madison Park in NYC in the early 60's. I'm now sorry I never bought one.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Great to see you again 4dot! I, too, really enjoy the end of the bowl. The flavor is very intense and I like it a lot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Varies from blend to blend. Frog Morton Cellar seems to smoke flavorful and sweet the whole way and leave little ash, in most cases. Same with C&D Billy Budd for me. Some others are great until the last quarter, then get harsh and/or go out a lot -- time to dump the bowl. Burleys and Virginias mostly burn nicely until the last little bit. The slower, gentler you smoke, the better, usually. I haven't experienced a big improvement at the bottom of the bowl, but if you do, more power to you.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
sablebrush52, so far I've experienced this with my favorite blend, Butera Royal Vintage Latakia #2, Sutliff's Edward G. Robinson Blend, and 4noggins Button Bay.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
welcome-back-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
4dot, so glad to see your return! Will be great to see your posts again...

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Opposite for me too. First half of the bowl is better. I attribute it to the smoke being "filtered" down through the unburnt tobacco which adds flavor. I dump ash about halfway and 3/4 of the way through to mitigate the ashy taste but I'm prone to dump the last 1/8 or so of the bowl because I'm eager to light a fresh one and get back to the better flavor I experience from a fresh bowl. Just my 2 cents.

May 4, 2015
I give up when the pipe starts being the slightest bit difficult to keep lit, gets ashy, bitter, or any other problem. I have too much tobacco to worry about smoking every shred, and I always like to quit while I'm ahead.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Nice to "meet" you 4dot. I'm pretty good about keeping ash from getting in the way of my smoking. The only times I notice the dottle in the bottom of the bowl really shining in flavor is with predominantly Virginia blends and some Burleys. Most frequently, Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Orlik Golden Slice will give the best flavors then go out. It is only then I realize I've hit the bottom of the bowl with no more to be had until I pack another. Runners up include Prince Albert, St. Bruno, and a couple other blends whose names escape me right now. :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I agree that there are many blends that seem to improve into the 'heel', but, BUT, it requires technique to develop this improvement, and a lack of good technique, for instance too fast, and you've got hot goop.

The pipe used may also contribute to this happy circumstance.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Yes, indeed, the pipe being smoked contributes greatly to the enjoyment of the last few puffs. My best experiences so far have been when smoking a Peterson "system" pipe, where you don't have to deal with the dreaded gurgle and gunk. I just smoked a bowlful of 4noggins' 3 Blind Moose, and, once again, the last little bit of tobacco gave me great taste and aroma. It helps to tamp the last bit down, though not too tight, and then relight.

Status
Not open for further replies.