PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Picked up this very cool chunky Ben Wade Royal Grain over Christmas at an antique store with my Dad. It was lightly smoked and has a huge bowl. The finish on the pipe was pretty dull and dirty, but the pipe is in amazing condition. So I cleaned up the stem, which had no gunk inside. That never happens. And cleaned and then waxed the bowl. I am a big Lord of the Rings fan and when I saw this I thought it had a very Dwarvish air to it. I could totally see Thorin smoking this pipe as it has a pickaxe freehand shape. Here is a before and some afters and me smoking the first bowl which was Escudo.
Before

After

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Danish freehand classic. I have a slightly different freehand subset that's been called a tomahawk with the bowl tapering to a rounded point at the bottom of the bowl. Your pipe really took the cleaning like a champ.

Jan 8, 2013
Very nice! I love it! As a coincidence, I just created a new blend yesterday and named it Oakenshield. Well it's actually a toss up of two names. I was thinking either Oakenshield or The Busty Pirate. A friend of mine thinks I should stick with the later, but I still prefer Oakenshield for this blend and in fact labeled the first jar as such. I do love the other name, however and may still use it for another similar blend.
I love that pipe, enjoy the heck out of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.