PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
My wife does the vacuuming. But from time to time I’ve helped out. So she asks me.
“Can you do me a favor, and vacuum the house this week? “
I work from home, she works outside the home. “No problem. I’ll vacuum.”
So this morning I grab the vacuum from the closet. It’s a new one. One of those high tech, super duper suckers. It looks more like a radon gun from a science fiction movie than it does a vacuum cleaner.
So I vacuumed the carpets, and was now ready to attack the stairs, and upholstery. My wife had told me. “When you vacuum the stairs, and the upholstery, use the attachments.”
Now this vacuum cleaner has about 6 different attachments. So without a manual, or instruction booklet I attempted to figure out which attachment was for what, and how in the hell the attachments fit onto the vacuum cleaner. I was totally confused, irritated, and really upset at the fact that my wife could vacuum with this new high tech vacuum cleaner, and I couldn’t figure out how to put the attachments on.
Forty-five minutes went by and I was still cursing at this mechanical nightmare, and wishing for the good old days when vacuum cleaners, cars, appliances, TV’s, radios, razors, toilets, and yes, even underwear, were much more user friendly.
I felt beaten, and abused. I could not figure out how to attach any of the attachments, and I promised my wife I would vacuum the house. And…I did not want her to know that I couldn’t figure out how to use the damn thing. So I came up with a plan.
I called my good neighbors daughter, a 16 year old sweetheart, she had just got home from school, and I asked her if she wanted to earn some money. She gladly accepted my offer to pay her to finish the vacuuming of my stairs and the upholstery. And I also told her. “Annie, whatever you do, don’t tell Deb you finished the vacuuming.” She finished before my wife came home from work.
After dinner my wife thanked me, and told me she was happy the vacuuming was done.
And then she says. “Don’t you just love how that new vacuum cleaner works?”
“It’s a beauty.” I told her. “A real sucker it is.”

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Get this one Frank, when I would see PMon lay down and was tired I would spool this one up, he hated it, wife hated me messing with him, he couldn't figure it out and would Bark the house down. :laughat:

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Gotta get one like "Mega-Maid" from Spaceballs. "She went from Suck to Blow."

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My wife was out of town for a week earlier this month. She said "you'll have to do your own laundry". I said sure, but then couldn't figure out her new washing machine (hey, I knew we did have one of these things). I called for technical advice. I'll stick to the yard and cars for my chores...

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Sometimes you guys make me sad. My family does also. Born in 1972, I grew up at the start of the electronic age and never felt the need for appliances for "special" people. I was raised with a silver Macintosh in my mouth. Worst case scenario, for the impaired, The Internet holds every operating manual for everything ever built along with videos of how to operate it. I miss the days when men were ashamed to admit they couldn't operate a vacuum cleaner. You and your vacuum suck :)
With our increasing population, there's a growing need for "Special" Appliances, electronics which have but one brightly lit ON/OFF button. Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher, Television, Stereo, Vacuum Cleaner, etc... all with the exact same large, illuminated ON/OFF switch or button, along with a manual which utilizes more pictures than words.

Teen neighbors are a diminishing resource and should be utilized for only the most dire of situations.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Frank, we have pets (emphasis on the 's') so there is a lot of vacuuming in my house. My wife hated my dyson and got herself a shark (oooh, aaah). She loves the damned thing. I can't figure it out either, so for the stairs I lift the whole freakin' unit and just hold it and vacuum the stairs. Luckily we are a split level house so it is doable that way.
I feel for you.
Brad, I had a nearly identical rug in my house in Tacoma. moths got the edge behind the couch so my wife made me pitch it, but it was a niiice rug.
Ash, nature AND husbands abhor a vacuum!
:rofl:

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Loved the tale. Hell, I'm still laughing. However, you were very versitle. I'd a done the same. ;-)

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Brad - +1
Nate
Teen neighbors are a diminishing resource and should be utilized for only the most dire of situations./quote]
Annie and her sister are wonderful girls. Her parents have raised them to respect others, to be polite, and to help others. They have helped my wife and I many times without complaining. Of course paying them "cash" helps to.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good story!
My vacuum of choice is a hand held Dyson that I use several times a day to whisk up tobacco shards and coffee grounds. It's the luckiest and best smelling vacuum for miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.