PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good tribute to celebrated men of the past who happened to smoke pipes. William Faulkner's dates, by the way, were 1897-1962. Some reading this might deduce that there is a thread of cardiovascular fatalities with pipe smokers, but that is a dominant cause of death in non-smokers and smokers alike especially as they age, so I don't think this leads to any sort of conclusion. The go-go optimism of Western culture tends to see death as a sort of failure of the individual, like a mistake or shortcoming, rather than an inevitable part of life that is built-in, so we have to lean against that habit of thought. To have lived to adulthood and especially through adulthood is a life accomplishment in itself.

dsollars

Lurker
Mar 25, 2014
What a great read on a Friday night, breaking in a new MM Mark Twain cob with a bowl of Carter Hall.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Amazing how our present time presents fewer heroes. Maybe it's how we choose them?
Faulkner is great, for both technical reasons and considerations of content. Certain over-praised substitutes are mediocre in both categories.
Either way, I'm reading Tolkien these days and have to laugh with enjoyment each time he praises the pipe. I imagine him typing away, loading bowls of Capstan Flake and letting his imagination run wild.
Many of these people were possessed by genius. Interesting how they were drawn to the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.