PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've noticed a lot of threads in which people ask where a particular member lives.
This info is almost completely hidden if you're trying to find it from the site itself. But that doesn't mean it isn't here.
To find any member's real name and location, open a new browser window and type:
pipesmagazine.com/members/SCREENNAME
in your browser's URL line, replacing "SCREENNAME" with the member's actual screen name. Press ENTER and you'll get that member's info.
Bob

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I'm not sure that everyone will appreciate this info. I don't, if I wanted everyone to know where I live, I'd broadcast it.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm not sure that everyone will appreciate this info. I don't, if I wanted everyone to know where I live, I'd broadcast it.
I feel the exact same feelings.
unless Kevin is tracking us for some weird legal reason.
Trusting information to the owner and senior moderator of the site is one thing. Posting detail directions on how anyone, member or not, can now access personal information about a member is another. Several member come on here to discuss a passion for pipes and tobacco, they share information on expensive pipes, large tobacco cellars, and and other personal details and now how to identify and locate them is advertised for anyone?!?

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Well, I think my real name is obvious, and there are plenty of other places online where my location can be found. God forbid should someone want to track me down and hang out for a bowl or two... anyone? Anyone??? :lol:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/Andrew It's only the info you gave, every site is like this, if you fill in your home address on any kind of forums expect anyone to be able to find it, it's your profile, you shouldn't share what you don't want shared. It's simply a feature of the program that's running the forums. Most forums you can simply click on the users name and it will say user profile which you can then see all these details.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
+1 Andrew
You guys control what information is publicly visible. Just go on ahead and change your particulars to a level of detail you are comfortable with.
-- Pat

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Guys,
If you have been online for any length of time, and even if you haven't, you have little to no private information. Your social security number has been accidentally broadcast to the world at least three times in the last 15 years. There is no such thing as a secure server. Period. No matter what bullshit your bank, credit card company, or employer tells you. So forget about your anonymity. That's sold for marketing every day.
That said, I did change some entries on my profile. Even though my private info can be accessed, just like all of yours, why make it any easier?

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Thanks for pointing this out.
I'm sure that many here won't appreciate this feature. I don't.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Guys, this is information you posted on your profile. It is linked to a search feature so you can find other pipe smokers in a particular area. Just "Edit your profile" if you don't want this information visible to others, just make those areas blank. Feel free to PM me if you can't update your profile.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I tried to use this method to see if I could find a clue as to the identity of the "Sinister Six" but alas, no such luck. :puffpipe:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
plateauguy wrote:
"if I wanted everyone to know where I live, I'd broadcast it."
But. . . you did! When you signed up, you filled out this information page for PUBLIC consumption. I mean, it asks what your favorite pipes and tobaccos are. . . Did you all think that Kevin was just personally curious about this? No. It was intended for the community here.
I only posted the tip I did because there is no other easy way -- at least not one I've found -- to get to this specific page of PUBLIC information. (Although you can also Google any member's forum name and find these pages.)
Bob

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Since I've never belonged to a forum before this one, I was ignorant about the availability of personal information. So, in it's own way this post has served a purpose.
My info has since been changed.

Aug 1, 2012
Those of us, like me, who could suffer damage to their career due to workplace policies should mmake sure to limit how much information we give out. Sure, it's all out there but at least I limit what I give out and mislead otherwise enough that it would take quite a bit of work to put it all together.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Plateauguy:
I like how you changed your information to something you're more comfortable with. I especially like that you didn't make up a deceptive name or give an incorrect city; it's clear from the info that you're simply guarding personal information, not trying to present false information or misrepresent yourself in any way. As a member here who really does enjoy checking these pages to see how long folks have been pipe smokers, what their favorites are, where they're checking in from, etc., I appreciate the fact that you're not trying to fool or deceive anyone; you're just being diligent.
Bob

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
As a member here who really does enjoy checking these pages to see how long folks have been pipe smokers, what their favorites are, where they're checking in from, etc., I appreciate the fact that you're not trying to fool or deceive anyone; you're just being diligent.
I guess those of us that prefer not to have our information readily handed out are all out to "trying to fool or deceive anyone"? I'm sorry you view it that way Bob. I view it as in the past I have had information about me used maliciously used against me and while I was okay with parts of my information being available to forum members in an effort to enjoy my past time more informed. Having instructions posted on how ANYONE, member or not, can view my information is a little disconcerting.

If you feel that my desire to not have my information broadcasted as my being out to fool or deceive the good men and women of this forum then I can only hope they are less close minded.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Having instructions posted on how ANYONE, member or not, can view my information is a little disconcerting."
Understood. FWIW, it's highly unlikely that a nonmember would know anyone's "forum name" here to even do a Google search to reach this page. (I'm not even sure a nonmember could reach the page. The mods would know about this, though.) And, obviously, no nonmember is going to see my tip in the first place.
BTW, these member pages can also be reached via the site's Home page. Click on "Home," then scroll down to the "Members" list on the page. Clicking on any name takes you directly to their member profile. (Which is different from the Forum profile page, where you can get a list of a member's recent posts and threads.) This is actually a great way to see the names of newly registered members and check in with their interests.
I wasn't intending to insult anyone else in my response to Plateauguy. I apologize if anyone took it that way. But I guess I would find it unsettling if people posted deceptively false information in their personal profiles here. By "deceptively false," I mean fake names that are meant to be taken as real names, or stating that they lived in one state when they actually lived in another. This "unsettles" me because, for me, it lessens the sense of trust I feel for this community -- a community where folks often share much more personal information in their regular posts than is shared on a basic page of name, location, and pipe experience. After all, I bet a lot of us could tell the names of other members' spouses and pets, what their favorite drink is, what TV shows and movies they like, and what they enjoy doing on the weekend.
To be honest, I'm really very surprised that so many forum members were unaware that their answers to the new-member questionnaire actually appeared here. I'm not sure where they thought that information went or what they thought it was intended for. To me, it just helps build connections here and, yes, build community. And I believe anyone who has spent much time on the Internet would agree that forums encouraging complete anonymity are also the ones where mutual trust and respect are often the most casually dismissed.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.