Login to Send PM

When I say this site sucks I'm not referring to the content of the site
    which, on the whole, is of real value and interest to the pipe smoker but
    to the format of the site which is, in a word, atrocious. Whoever wrote
    the software for the site's program appears to have known nothing at all
    about how a forum works. Here are a few of my observations which I'll try
    to keep as simple as possible by leaving all implications implicit:

1. Since posts in any given thread are not numbered there is no simple
    way of referring to an earlier post or even finding it.

2. It ought to be possible to reply to a given post with a single click
    and to have one's reply appear beneath that post.

3. The time given to edit a post is ridiculously short.

4. Smileys exist to clarify intention and the selection here is pathetic.

5. Posting images is a hassle when it ought to require only a single click.

6. A more legible typeface is needed when writing posts.

7. The search function does not work.

8. There is no way of setting up polls on specific questions.

9. There is no archive of posts. Valuable material simply disappears.

10. Since the ads are on the left side of the screen this requires that,
    on certain screens, one must constantly be having to scroll right to read
    posts. This makes the ads more important than posts although it is posts
    that one comes here to read.

CONCLUSION: The software (which may have been the best available to the
    admin when it was selected) needs to be scrapped in its entirety and
    replaced by a program written by an intelligent programmer with experience
    of how a well-organized and user-friendly forum works.

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since you've gotten here, you have blasted a new thread out several times a day... which in itself is not terrible. But, if you'd read through some of the orange colored threads, you'd see how to do a forum search.

We decidedly beg Kevin never to update this site. All too often we get used to a forum and then it updates and everyone has to figure it out. We are old, curmudgeons who don't like change. This works just fine on my Windows 97 computer, and if one wanted a new fangled forum, there are a few out there. But, if Kevin started updating this with new shit, we'd lose a few valued members at each update. Pipesmokers are not exactly known for staying up with the Jone's on technology. Generally, we chose old over new each time, otherwise, we'd have never chosen pipes as our hobby and habit.

That said, stay and enjoy what this forum has to offer, or your alternative is to move on to a fancy high tech one.

Michael
    Posted 1 month ago #
  4. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

CONCLUSION: The software (which may have been the best available to the
    admin when it was selected) needs to be scrapped in its entirety and
    replaced by a program written by an intelligent programmer with experience
    of how a well-organized and user-friendly forum works.

Second possible conclusion: If you're not satisfied with the forum, I'm sure the owner will refund every single cent you paid for it and may even give suggestions on other forums you may enjoy more.

Third possible conclusion: Make a better mousetrap. Design and implement a better forum, attract sponsors (or self fund it) and people will come flocking.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I, like many users here, have been using the forum for many years, without a single issue or complaint.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Condor!!! You don't like our house, keep looking.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not a technical whiz, so there's my disclaimer, but I find Forums, with its features and limitations, pretty user friendly from my point of view. I've come back to a post too late to edit. I've sometimes wanted an archives for ancient threads, though some get resurrected after years. On the other hand, I resent the continual learning curve imposed by many platforms and sites, so you spend a large fraction of your time relearning the system, until at least I lose interest. So would improvements be good? Probably. But I'm not hankering for re-works.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Whoever wrote the software for the site's program appears to have known nothing at all about how a forum works".

Wrote the software? lol

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe the format seems out of date to some, but it's easy to navigate, and I'm happy as it is.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

It works just fine for me.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

All posts are numbered. Simply click on # button below the post and the link to that post will appear on the address bar of your web browser. Taking into account that you were wrong from very first comment of yours, I won't prove you more wrong

Javan
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beyond conclusions, here's another thought.

I think its really unbecoming to come into someone's "home", which is open and completely free to anyone that chooses, and then to denigrate it.

Send a PM to the owner with a critique and some possible solutions. Better yet, ask some of the members or admins if they've found more efficient ways of doing what you find difficult on this forum.

I think the OP is out of line here and owes Kevin an apology for the tone and implied put down of his post.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

We are working on a major overhaul of the entire website - articles side and forums.

Ten years ago, when I started the site, I had no idea it would still be going strong ten years later.

In the beginning, social media was just gaining traction, and there was a new WordPress plugin called BuddyPress, which is the front end profile that was supposed to work like Facebook, and integrate to BBPress (the forums script package), and the main WordPress functionality.

There were big promises that were never fulfilled. I wish I never chose this stuff.

BBPress (forums) lost support quickly, and never even got all of the promised features. The same thing happened to BuddyPress a little while later, but at this point, I was already married to them.

To make things worse, a freelancer that I hired to program features that were missing from WordPress (at the time) broke a major rule, and hacked the core of WordPress instead of making standalone plugins.

This created a huge problem of not being able to upgrade WordPress without breaking the entire site. (WordPress is on version 5, while PM uses 2.5.)

That limits adding new features and functionality, new designs, better forums, and adding SSL (https), which Google is pushing all sites with logins to do or risk losing search rankings.

We just started the project to get all of this fixed.

It will be 150+ man-hours, and cost thousands of dollars.

We are shooting for June 1, 2019 for relaunch.

Wordpress will be upgraded to the latest version, along with all of the plugins. We'll have a really cool embedded player for the radio show / podcast.

There will be a complete redesign of the home page layout.

The forums will change over to Xenforo.

This is a HUGE, TEDIOUS process as we have to move over everything by hand from database to database. There is no direct import that will work.

A mirror site and database will be built so the current live site will not be affected, and we will not lose posts, content, comments, etc.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 month ago #
  14. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^ professional and classy reply/post

Thank you sir.

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like this site. I've enjoyed it pretty much since it kicked off. There's a nostalgic quality to the old-format bulletin board software. Again, terrific job, Kevin; I look forward to the updates.

The title of this thread sucks.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is awesome to hear that you are doing an overhaul because the simple truth of the internet is, you have to keep up or be left behind. And when I say be left behind, I mean the technology will no longer be supported and the site would eventually crash and never be restored, you’d have to start from scratch. It’s that simple.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Login to Send PM

And a great big THANK YOU to Kevin for all you do that no one knows about! We greatly appreciate having this place to come to and talk about our pipes, tobacco and problems (not necessarily in that order, apparently). I look forward to seeing the new site and best of luck with all the data migration. 10 years worth of all of our blubbering has got to be tedious as hell!

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

well, you had this wrong

The formatting is outmoded compared to other fora. But the idea of keeping all of the current threads visible on the front page beats out all the other fora. Yes, the PM system is primitive, but there's another messaging system that almost nobody uses, that is fully formatted.

Yes, uploading and posting images on this site is a bit cumbersome, but it's still not rocket science, and since I use imgur for the most part, one click pretty much covers it.

7. The search function does not work.

Well it sort of does and it sort of doesn't. It requires posters to add tags at the bottom of their initial post.
    The emoticons, particularly compared to other fora, do indeed suck.

3. The time given to edit a post is ridiculously short.

There's some history behind that, which you might have learned if you had thought to ask. Years ago the posts were editable for about an hour. But then some members here used that time to insult and flame others, wiping away the flame before it became permanent, and playing the innocent. Yes, Virginia, we have a number of members here who are emotional infants. So the edit time got reduced to 10 or so minutes. Maybe think or proofread before posting? What a concept.

8. There is no way of setting up polls on specific questions.

And this is a problem? Have you seen the polls on other sites?

9. There is no archive of posts. Valuable material simply disappears.

Have you really not noticed the dozens of necro bumps that occur regularly? People are finding posts from the first year of this forum and bumping them.

Could this forum be better featured? Is a 400 pound robin fat? But it works as it is and is somehow one of the livelier forums around.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 month ago #
  19. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good Lord, that's an huge undertaking, considering the modest revenue generated by this site.

Kudos to Kevin for keeping the passion alive!

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

Simple. Fast. Elegant baby

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I have been waiting for this dumpster to catch fire. Actually took much longer than I expected. (And I am not referring to this site by the way)

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 1 month ago #
  22. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to see it being updated. Many thanks.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup. Good for Kevin. I like the site "right well." Problem is, if the site is upgraded, I may not be able to participate. My operating system is ten years old, and not opening many sites as it is. It informs me it cannot connect or cannot establish a secure connection, but either way won't open things. I'm hoping before the site is revamped, I'll have a new working operating system, which probably means a new "device." The maximum update on this one is years old and wouldn't hold up for long. I guess I'd better learn a current OP (within my rather limited tech saavy) rather than learn an aging one that will flame out in a year or less. A learning curve can be fine, even fun, so long as you don't need the service it's expected to provide. I haven't opened smokingpipes.com, one of my old haunts, for more than year.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

As bassbug said, Kevin's reply/post was professional and classy. Your post...not so much.

And Sable's post was spot on, as usual.

Take time to think things through before hitting the send button. Or not. But then don't expect other than what you get for trashing our site.

"He was loosely dressed, but tightly wound". Louise Penny.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  25. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tuff: So, if you feel so strongly, the answer is easy. Get the ol' check book out and send Kevin a $10,000+ check so he can up-grade to something you can be proud of. Put you money where your mouthy is!

Noobs! Gotta love 'em. Or ... maybe not.

I suspect tufftony will not be offered tenure.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  26. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

The lady I'm with right now is kinda old. It takes longer to get things done with her. I had to learn what it took to get things done with her.

The extra work is worth it. The rest turned out to be boring.

Same thing.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kevin, good luck with your undertaking. I am sure you are working hard and are stressed out getting ready for June. Making the kind of changes you are is scary stuff, I am sure it will turn out great.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  28. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no complaints about this forum. (other than too many posts about Black Frigate.)

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 month ago #
  29. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Strong work Kevin! We are proud of this site and any incremental upgrades will be gravy on our potatoes.

Neal
    Posted 1 month ago #
  30. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no complaints about this forum. (other than too many posts about Black Frigate.)
    You do realize you yourself just made a post about Black Frigate, right?

And look at that! So did I!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 month ago #
  31. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I forgot to mention that the upgrade / redesign will also finally give us a mobile-friendly version.

Funny that Warren said "$10,000".

It's not that far off.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any website is about the people not the website. I agree the website needs an update but the people and discussions here are quite enjoyable.

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On man...this forum is going to be epic in the weeks after the migration to a new format. lol

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Change is highly over rated. I do agree that it would be a shame if the forum became unsupportable tech-wise; I would not want to see that at all.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  35. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I am intrigued about the redesign coming in June, that was something I wasn't expecting.

Posted 1 month ago #
  36. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

If I didn't like this site, I'd leave. Simple enough.

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with most of what you said, as posting a photo is a real pain. And does anyone even care about Michael what's his name anymore? Remove the video and throw anything else up. That being said I think it could have been addressed somewhat more tactful. Be a solution, instead of a complainer. Offer your services, as a master web builder to the pipe smoking world for the greater good.

John
    Posted 1 month ago #
  38. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Capital!

I've been using forums since AD 1999, and I got spoiled because the first forum I registered to –PC Mech–, and then a number of others, used vBulletin, which ran circles over the free software. PCM has been on Xenforo for a number of years now, and although I miss vBulletin, I find Xenforo quite good. Embedding images is a zinch and you can even embed video.

Very good news indeed, Mr Kevin!

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  39. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And does anyone even care about Michael what's his name anymore?

It took me a minute to figure out that you meant the Magazine page, not the forum page... "Michael Gladis of Mad Men"
    I just finished watching the series last week.

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

. And does anyone even care about Michael what's his name anymore?

Who? Is he, she or it still around?

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, sorry should have put last name or video page.

Posted 1 month ago #
  42. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One thing I hope makes it over to the new design is the idea of the 'front page' for the newest threads in every subforum.

Posted 1 month ago #
  43. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I like this site just fine. Could it be more modern? Sure but newer is not always better especially if you lose people even if the limitations are on their end. I know, not your problem. I am a little jaded, I saw so many companies constantly upgrading just "to keep abreast " even if it really cost productivity. Every time a new HR person or IT person comes on board there is a new load of the greatest software. Call me old school codger but it was a constant pain in the ass. Thank you Kevin for all you do no matter what happens.

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Idk Michael keeps popping up from time to time posting utter nonsense around here.

Wait that IS who your talking about right?

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I just wanted to say that I feel lucky to be part of this forum. The generosity of info. Is greatly appreciated and most, if not all, the guys on here are gentleman. I feel the site itself is secondary to what’s really important...the discussions, the relationships, and the information learned. Those that cannot see the importance of that are perhaps missing the point.
    I thank you all again for welcoming me into this community and look forward to it for many years to come.
    Cheers all

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  46. chilipalmer

chilipalmer

Login to Send PM

This forum sucks? Hmmmmm.... Let me think. I have free access to a website that allows me to interact with fellow pipe smoking enthusiasts, the forum has never been down since I joined, there's is a shocking lack of "adult supervision" on conversations, and the site is free. All in all, it's a pretty great thing, I believe.

Could the site be "better," or more "modern?" Probably. Would that really improve the exchange of ideas and make for better conversation? I am less optimistic. I am a big proponent of not screwing around with things that work and this site and, more importantly, this forum definitely work.

Now, if you're determined to agitate for change/upgrades to this site, I would suggest one thing that does need serious attention: Pipe Babes. The site definitely needs more, more, more Pipe Babes!

Cheers,

Chili

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 1 month ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to see that the redesign should be more mobile friendly. This site was great on my Windows XP computer, which went to recycling a year and a half ago..Now that I use mobile devices exclusively (Android and iOS), the limitations are obvious. Thanks, Kevin.

Posted 1 month ago #
  48. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll be anxious to see the new forum, but it's kinda like getting your tonsils out. The older you are, the more "uncomfortable" the recovery will be.

Maybe some of these younger whippersnappers can help us geezers along with the process.

Posted 1 month ago #
  49. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I have been waiting for this dumpster to catch fire.

You and me both!
    LoL! You hate the site but you've managed to pad your post count as fast as I've seen lately. Bet we'll see a flame out before we see the new format.

Posted 1 month ago #
  50. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I do all of my online activity from a phone and have found no issues with the forum setup.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  51. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the forum setup. I do most of my inanity from my phone and it's super easy to use.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 month ago #
  52. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get out of here, it’s like I’m back in the jungle when my Online Bank changes it’s web site, I hyperventilate, wondering where is my money. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, go play in the traffic while you smoke your pipe.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 month ago #
  53. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

inanity

I learned a new word!

Posted 1 month ago #
  54. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

The site definitely needs more, more, more Pipe Babes!

Couldn't agree more.

I asked Montana to marry me but... well you know...

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 1 month ago #
  55. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Goodbye Tufftony. Hopefully you find the magical pipe forum you are looking for

Posted 1 month ago #
  56. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

You do realize you yourself just made a post about Black Frigate, right?

It's even in his signature.

Posted 1 month ago #
  57. fishfly

fishfly

Login to Send PM

We are working on a major overhaul of the entire website - articles side and forums.

Thank you.

Posted 1 month ago #
  58. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

I have only used my phone to use this site and have never had a problem. That being said I enjoy the heck outta this forum. Thanks to all for making this place great.

Posted 1 month ago #
  59. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I forgot to mention that the upgrade / redesign will also finally give us a mobile-friendly version.
    Well, that means I'll be a month trying to figure the new shit out...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  60. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Well, that means I'll be a month trying to figure the new shit out...

Same. The current format works better on my phone than most mobile sites.

Posted 1 month ago #
  61. alialansari

Ali Alansari

Login to Send PM

Kevin, what about establishing a donation fund whose earnings would be funneled into the update and regular upkeep of the website? I personally would be more than happy to give back to this forum after all it has done for me and the pipe community in general.

Posted 1 month ago #
  62. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We are working on a major overhaul of the entire website - articles side and forums

AAAAIIIIIEEEEEE, NOOOOOOOOOOOO......

Kidding, Kevin. I'm gratified & grateful for your work, which I know is enormous, not always fully appreciated, & definitely morrrrre than worth what we users pay for it. I'd never be one to complain, & I use my Droid for the forums way more often than I do my W10 laptop. I'll never complain, nor of course will most of us. You do us huge favors, & we appreciate it!

Just don't take the preferred status away. It took me a year to get it, & I don't want to lose out on the fabulous decoder ring & other neato stuff in the primo pack that I know's coming in the mail! :):)

BTW, any of y'all who joined recently, it's an in-joke. A few years ago a member who shall remain monikerless*** did a hilarious bit about a special bennie that supposedly comes with the attainment of this lofty level. Use the incredibly easy search feature on the top to find it.

*** -- BTW, *speaking* of easy to find, has anybody *seen* Cortez recently?

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  63. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tufftony has been strangely quiet.

Donations? I believe Kevin is running a business, it may be a "non-profit" unintentionally (Only the IRS and Kevin know for sure.), but donations start to imply "ownership." Not a good idea to my mind. Just supporting the sponsors and following the owner's rules should be sufficient support.

Posted 1 month ago #
  64. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Always somebody bitching about something...like oldcajun said...go play in traffic and take your pipe with you.

Posted 1 month ago #
  65. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aside from the hassle of posting pics, I think the site is fine. Personally, I don't like it when forums upgrade. I'm old - and dislike change. Shit, if it upgrades - I might leave (and make everyone happy)

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  66. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Wait....you guys don't give 80% of your salary to the guy in the alley for your preferred status?

Me neither....

Posted 1 month ago #
  67. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I used to give that much to our sponsers.

Posted 1 month ago #
  68. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for bearing the cost of our community Kevin. If it wasn't for you, we'd be running up to people in the Walmart parking lot screaming "Is there Perique in Orlik Golden Sliced or Not?!?"

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Posted 1 month ago #
  69. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Roger that! Lol

Posted 1 month ago #
  70. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does this mean someone burned out like a fart in a hurricane?

Posted 1 month ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   autumnfog, mikethompson, seaelf32, newbroom