PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
As a treatment for managing PAD, the one in one out rule sounded like a good idea. But looking at things in the cold hard light of reality, the only beneficiary has been pipestud.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know, but the best I can deduce, the one in one out rule says that if you buy a pipe, you have to get rid of a pipe, to keep from accumulating an endless number. Others have called this culling the herd, when you round up a few pipes you're not smoking and sell them or trade them in for retailer credit on an upgraded pipe, or just a pipe you like. Whatever works for you. Some just grin and bear it, and own a few hundred pipes. Others are totally happy with six, or fifteen, or thirty-five, or eighty, and leave it at that. Stay away from pipe shops, pipe clubs, pipe shows, pipe web sites, pipe catalogs, etc.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
At first I thought it was about limiting one's sex life: "one in and out a day" But on closer examination, it's about limiting PAD- you can't buy one without disposing of one.

Oct 7, 2016
mso489, You win the prize.
I used to have in the range of 200 pipes. That was over 15 years ago. When I started up again last summer I resolved​ to keep things under control. I have a pipe rack with space for 36 pipes. That seems like a gracious plenty. I am going to stay at least within shouting distance of that number. I hope.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you lengthen out the time between buying pipes, you really discover the ones you own, and let them unfold beyond just breaking them in. I'm at the place where I see a potential purchase and think of a pipe I own that "does the same thing better." On the other hand, I don't like to talk down pipe and tobacco purchases, since that's what keeps Forums going.

Status
Not open for further replies.