PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

heimedvw

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
So this might be a very dumb question and may get a few laughs but here goes. I have collected a half dozen or so estate pipes over the last year or so and I have found that most of the boles have different smells. Which I assume is the difference tobaccos smoked in the pipes. I was just wondering if any of the long time pipe smokers and pipe collectors can tell by the smell of the pipe bowl what tobacco the previous owner smoked? I'm sure that there is a lot of variables because a lot of the members of this forum smoke alot of different types of tobaccos in your pipes. I would think your average pipe smoker from thirty to fifty years ago would have smoke the same blend or what was available at the time.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I find the question to be quite reasonable, however only in cases where the pipe was used exclusively for one particular codger blend, another codger familiar with the blend could make a pretty educated guess. It would still be a guess though. Good luck on your mission.
I myself would just clean them up and get to smoking my favorite blends in them!

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
i've only noticed a couple of estate pipes had a strong cinnamon smell.
But I don't buy estate pipes anymore. I'd rather just buy a pipe that I call mine and create it as mine. I don't like the idea of some other person sucking on my pipes. So I buy only my pipes.
EDIT: I bought a falcon estate pipe a few months ago and I can only say; OMFG I nearly threw it way. Not because it smelled bad or anything, but because it was so horribly caked up in the stem. I cleaned so much shit out of that stem that i nearly emptied my stomach. The thing is now clean as hell but for the love ukalksdfas. I'll never, ever, ever buy another estate pipe from another human being ever again lol. Those humans are foul beasts.
Glad others buy estate pipes though because I've gotten my money back on some of my pipes and made profits on some of my pipes which allowed me to buy more 'me' pipes. lol.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I think @dottiewarden said it best
consider sending them off for a proper cleaning if you cant do it yourself
http://www.stemandbriar.com/resotration

heimedvw

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
I may have worded my question wrong. What was asking was has anyone pick up a pipe, smelled the bowl and went this was a Dunhill 965 man or captain black or whatever? I clean all my estate pipes before they are smoked.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
If the pipe in question was a briar, possibly . If it was a cob,perhaps.
A meer, I don't know, as I don't own a meer.

I do smoke a lot of condor and lakelands but in the end all my pipes smell of smoked pipe.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I may have worded my question wrong. What was asking was has anyone pick up a pipe, smelled the bowl and went this was a Dunhill 965 man or captain black or whatever? I clean all my estate pipes before they are smoked.
I can answer that question more directly. It goes kinda like this; No.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My nose isn't that good, but I bet some could identify Lakeland blends, famous for ghosting, at three fee, and Latakia easily. Beyond that, I bet there are a few rare noses that can identify a range of blends, which would be pretty amazing to observe.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The best I've ever been able to tell is if the pipe had aromatic or non-aromatic tobacco in it. Most of the estates I've gotten on ebay or from antique stores are so old they really have had no odor at all. The ones I've bought from Smokingpipes.com have always come to me in virtually brand new condition.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I had an old estate pipe, one of my firsts, that smelled like 1792 Flake. My first estate pipe was obviously a Lakeland blend pipe as it had a soapy/floral type smell. I salt treated both of those pipes twice and still couldn't get rid of that smell/taste when I smoked it, so I sold them on ebay noting such on both.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I also would say no and add this. I have a bunch of pipes. And I know what I smoke. But if I put a pipe on the shelf for awhile and then were to pick it up and smell the bowl I probably still couldn't tell you what was smoked in it unless it was a strong aromatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.