Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiezmich

Lurker
Feb 1, 2013
Illinois
This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. I live in the Chicago land area and if you don't know, It's cold right now...and snowing...and sleeting...and icy. So since I can't smoke outside or in the house I am constricted to my garage with a little heater by my feet. So my question is, is there anywhere for me to smoke where I don't have to pay to do so? For example every B&M you go into in order to use their lounge you most likely will have to buy something. I just wish there was a library or a Starbucks type place that allowed you to smoke and maybe just buy a drink instead of a 8 dollar cigar or an ounce of tobacco. Any suggestions? Or will I just have to tough it out and wait until summer where I can sit on my porch in a lawn chair and relax with a book and a pipe.
Thank you in advance,

Lou

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
You buy a few ounces of tobacco and you have a warm place to smoke and a few more ounces of tobacco.
What am I missing?

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Are you sure that your B&M would require a purchase to enjoy their smoking facilities? The B&M near me doesn't. Its a way for them to build up repeat business. While I do often purchase from that store (when I need something) I don't always. Nevertheless, I am always welcome to smoke there. Are there any smoke friendly bars or grills near you?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
You buy a few ounces of tobacco and you have a warm place to smoke and a few more ounces of tobacco.
What am I missing?
+1

or buy a large home and set aside 1 room for pipe smoking. This works for me! :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
Amen brother, we've had some awesome outside smoke all the heck you want to without freezing your rear end off weather.
Louie... Who says you can't buy a cheap tamper, or maybe just some pipe cleaners or something along those lines. I'm sure they're going to appreciate your business either way. Use it as an excuse to get to know the guy running the place. I'm sure you could ask him all kinds of questions, and if he isn't too busy with a bunch of customers would probably enjoy a conversation. I'm in the customer service industry, and I love my regular customers. They don't always buy something from me, but they often take the time to just stop by and chat. It gives you a chance to learn about tobaccos or whatever else and some good conversation, and gives him a chance to chat it up with a potential repeat or regular customer (driving sales and making his life easier), and some good conversation. Before you know it you'll both be on a first name basis and you'll be knowing first hand when he has good deals, or good deals on the horizon. It's kind of that good old fashioned business on a personal level like in the good old days before everything became about money and time. ;) And that fits in great with the old fashioned hobby of pipe smoking, if you ask me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I happily buy a tin of tobacco at my local shop, just for the opportunity to sit in a nice chair and enjoy a leisurely smoke. But, I don't get that opportunity that often and count the days till Spring time.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
For example every B&M you go into in order to use their lounge you most likely will have to buy something
which in return.. you get to enjoy their heat, coffee, cable tv and nice comfortable chairs.

louiezmich

Lurker
Feb 1, 2013
Illinois
Yeah I quickly realized that this was a silly question. I don't want everyone here to think I don't want to support my local B&M because I actually don't order online because I would rather support the hard working shop owners and get connection and soak up his knowledge rather than sit on my couch and order tobaccos and what not. I was just asking because on a college budget I didn't want to spend three dollars or so to smoke but I guess its a small price to pay to gain so much and make a friend in the process.

louiezmich

Lurker
Feb 1, 2013
Illinois
Sorry for making this seem like I am not grateful for peoples services because I am. I guess I was just wondering if there was anywhere close to me to smoke a pipe, because when I go in some smoke shop I am going to buy something whether I have to or not because I want to support local business. Thank you for the comments everyone. I appreciate you putting up with this silly question haha.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Buy an ounce. It's like going into a bar and ordering a water. I gotta believe once you are a regular they will know you are not a squatter. It is the least you can do to help keep their doors open and the lights on.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Louie

I have been to Iwan Reis several times and while they have a FANTASTIC lounge that you have to pay for ($15) but they also have a smaller lounge just off the main sals floor that is free. I agree with the others though, buy a cpl of ounces, build up your cellar and everyone wins!

Jan 8, 2013
you didn't come off like that to me Louie. Being a noobie as well, I worry about some of my questions sounding silly too. The members here are pretty awesome though.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
'Twasn't a silly question at all. If you sat in a Starbucks,you would spend money on a beverage, right? So, as was suggested above, go in, buy some cleaners or even just an ounce of tobacco, and hang out. Yeah, maybe you can't do it very often, but make it a once a week treat.

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
X1000

The pipe will test you...lol. I also would bundle up an sit before the heater. I lived in Kansas for a couple years and thats exactly what I did.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Good responses, all. Rothnh hit it on the head with the bit about schmoozing. Get to know the owner and the regulars and you'll be welcome there without necessarily having to buy something every time you visit. I buy all of my tinned tobacco from my local B&M, and I'll keep going back with the same tins until I use them up and buy another. They don't expect me to buy tobacco every time I show up there.
BTW, I do the heater thing in my garage most of the time because I don't always want to venture out in the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.