Tags:  No tags yet. 

This May Not Be The Best Question

(25 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by louiezmich
  • Latest reply from mthanded
  1. louiezmich

louiezmich

Login to Send PM

This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. I live in the Chicago land area and if you don't know, It's cold right now...and snowing...and sleeting...and icy. So since I can't smoke outside or in the house I am constricted to my garage with a little heater by my feet. So my question is, is there anywhere for me to smoke where I don't have to pay to do so? For example every B&M you go into in order to use their lounge you most likely will have to buy something. I just wish there was a library or a Starbucks type place that allowed you to smoke and maybe just buy a drink instead of a 8 dollar cigar or an ounce of tobacco. Any suggestions? Or will I just have to tough it out and wait until summer where I can sit on my porch in a lawn chair and relax with a book and a pipe.

Thank you in advance,
    Lou

Lou
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You buy a few ounces of tobacco and you have a warm place to smoke and a few more ounces of tobacco.

What am I missing?

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

Are you sure that your B&M would require a purchase to enjoy their smoking facilities? The B&M near me doesn't. Its a way for them to build up repeat business. While I do often purchase from that store (when I need something) I don't always. Nevertheless, I am always welcome to smoke there. Are there any smoke friendly bars or grills near you?

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Texas

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really feel for you guys that can't smoke inside. Especially you northerners.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would go out in the garage and smoke with that little heater by your feet.

Builds character, puts hair on your chest, and all of that.

"To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You buy a few ounces of tobacco and you have a warm place to smoke and a few more ounces of tobacco.

What am I missing?

+1
    or buy a large home and set aside 1 room for pipe smoking. This works for me!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Texas
    Amen brother, we've had some awesome outside smoke all the heck you want to without freezing your rear end off weather.

Louie... Who says you can't buy a cheap tamper, or maybe just some pipe cleaners or something along those lines. I'm sure they're going to appreciate your business either way. Use it as an excuse to get to know the guy running the place. I'm sure you could ask him all kinds of questions, and if he isn't too busy with a bunch of customers would probably enjoy a conversation. I'm in the customer service industry, and I love my regular customers. They don't always buy something from me, but they often take the time to just stop by and chat. It gives you a chance to learn about tobaccos or whatever else and some good conversation, and gives him a chance to chat it up with a potential repeat or regular customer (driving sales and making his life easier), and some good conversation. Before you know it you'll both be on a first name basis and you'll be knowing first hand when he has good deals, or good deals on the horizon. It's kind of that good old fashioned business on a personal level like in the good old days before everything became about money and time. And that fits in great with the old fashioned hobby of pipe smoking, if you ask me.

Cut me... I bleed black.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I happily buy a tin of tobacco at my local shop, just for the opportunity to sit in a nice chair and enjoy a leisurely smoke. But, I don't get that opportunity that often and count the days till Spring time.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For example every B&M you go into in order to use their lounge you most likely will have to buy something

which in return.. you get to enjoy their heat, coffee, cable tv and nice comfortable chairs.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. louiezmich

louiezmich

Login to Send PM

Yeah I quickly realized that this was a silly question. I don't want everyone here to think I don't want to support my local B&M because I actually don't order online because I would rather support the hard working shop owners and get connection and soak up his knowledge rather than sit on my couch and order tobaccos and what not. I was just asking because on a college budget I didn't want to spend three dollars or so to smoke but I guess its a small price to pay to gain so much and make a friend in the process.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Louie, half of it is buying something the other half is charm.

No offense, but you're a kid. Most puffers and most B&M owners are much older.

Take the time (remember what I think about patience?) anyway, take the time to schmooze. I know we're all busy, you with school, job, GF, etc., but find the time to spend a bit of time in what you consider the best "target" B&M. Talk, smile, schmooze. Buy a pack of pipe cleaners. Leave. Return often. Return and after schmoozing some more, buy an ounce of tobacco and appear excited (not too hard to do) and ask if it's OK to smoke a bowl in their lounge. There's a 95% chance, if you do it right, the answer will be "SURE, Louie, go ahead!"

Now you're in. Chat it up with the duffers there already in the lounge. Those guys are regulars. If they like you, guess what. As long as you maintain that likability, and the owner knows you're a student, you don;t have a lot of money, but they all like you ... you, sir, are in a lounge, warm, enjoying a smoke, with company, pretty much as often as you want.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. scottishjohn

scottishjohn

Login to Send PM

Great advise Richard, By the way, my wife and I love Rockland. We were there a short time and our first a couple of years ago.

"I don't always smoke a pipe, but when I do I am even more interesting.
    .....................Keep smoking my friends..........................."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. louiezmich

louiezmich

Login to Send PM

Sorry for making this seem like I am not grateful for peoples services because I am. I guess I was just wondering if there was anywhere close to me to smoke a pipe, because when I go in some smoke shop I am going to buy something whether I have to or not because I want to support local business. Thank you for the comments everyone. I appreciate you putting up with this silly question haha.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

Buy an ounce. It's like going into a bar and ordering a water. I gotta believe once you are a regular they will know you are not a squatter. It is the least you can do to help keep their doors open and the lights on.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. rickpal14

rickpal14

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Louie
    I have been to Iwan Reis several times and while they have a FANTASTIC lounge that you have to pay for ($15) but they also have a smaller lounge just off the main sals floor that is free. I agree with the others though, buy a cpl of ounces, build up your cellar and everyone wins!

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society...........
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

you didn't come off like that to me Louie. Being a noobie as well, I worry about some of my questions sounding silly too. The members here are pretty awesome though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Twasn't a silly question at all. If you sat in a Starbucks,you would spend money on a beverage, right? So, as was suggested above, go in, buy some cleaners or even just an ounce of tobacco, and hang out. Yeah, maybe you can't do it very often, but make it a once a week treat.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you sat in a Starbucks,you would spend money on a beverage, right

probably more than you would on a ounce of tobacco too

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. sebastian

sebastian

Login to Send PM

Texas

X1000
    The pipe will test you...lol. I also would bundle up an sit before the heater. I lived in Kansas for a couple years and thats exactly what I did.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

Good responses, all. Rothnh hit it on the head with the bit about schmoozing. Get to know the owner and the regulars and you'll be welcome there without necessarily having to buy something every time you visit. I buy all of my tinned tobacco from my local B&M, and I'll keep going back with the same tins until I use them up and buy another. They don't expect me to buy tobacco every time I show up there.

BTW, I do the heater thing in my garage most of the time because I don't always want to venture out in the cold.

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Jud - No silly questions.
    +1 Rothnh - Scmooze.
    +1 Portascat - The man!

For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking...
    A.A. Milne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lou:

I'll just add that I can't recall ever being in a pipe shop where the guys behind the counter weren't open to chatting (assuming they weren't busy). If it's a small shop, it's not unusual for them to have little to do during working hours other than stand around, maybe polish some pipes, smoke, and be prepared to help customers. Trust me, they will enjoy having someone to talk to who truly wants to learn more about pipes and tobaccos.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My local B&M does not require a purchase in order to enjoy their smoking lounge. I understand Louie's dilemma, however - rent on a retail space is not cheap, and the lounge is not provided simply out of the goodness of the proprietor's heart. This leads to an expectation (at least on my part, and I'm guessing on Louie's, based on his post) that we, the customers, should in fact be customers if we're going to take advantage of the comfy chairs, table lighters, and ventilation systems... even if the proprietor makes no such demands.

But I'm also on a strict budget at the moment - so my current way of 'paying the rent' is to make sure that I'm smoking the house blend tobacco that I previously purchased there, in the pipe that I previously purchased there, stashed in the pouch that I previously purchased there. At least until I've got enough cash on hand to pick up some butane and a bundle of pipe cleaners.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mthanded

mthanded

Login to Send PM

The B&M's have some of the rules they have may because of the casual cigarette smokers who come in just to smoke. My B&M is right next to a bar and they don't want people popping over on Friday and Saturday nights just to smoke a cigarette and then go back to the bar since that (bar smoking) has been banned here. They don't sell cigarettes, only cigars, pipe tobacco and accessories to discourage the cigarettes. I buy "something" whenever I go in and they have gotten to know me so I can light up, browse a little bit, talk to the staff and sit back and relax. Only one staff guy smokes pipes so when I go in, he comes over and we talk tobacco and pipes. This is not a silly question and establishing a relationship with their customers is what they're in business to do. My B&M didn't install a quality vent system, 3 flat screens and leather couches to keep people out, they want to be your go-to shop and to come back often. And, if your young, they've probably been in your shoes and know you probably have a limited budget.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cigarben, northernneil, newbie, jchaplick, cortezattic, papipeguy, cosmicfolklore, sparks, jparker, rsuninv, pylorns, agnosticpipe, daytonsean, tbradsim1, warren, keith929, darwin, pruss