This is not how I'd planned on my vacation to end!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Well, I've been on vacation the last seven days, and it's been nice just chillin' around the house smoking my pipes, and hanging out on the forums, that was until the other day. I have been having an occasional pain that I had been writing off as a mild groin pull without giving it too much thought. Well, the ragweed has been very bad around here lately, and I had a huge sneezing fit, followed by abdominal discomfort. After a while, the pain was still bothering me, and I dicovered a bulge in my abdomin, so off to the emergency room I went. After a few hours waiting, I'm advised that I have a hernia, and need surgery to correct it. The Doctor sends me home with a referral to a surgeon, and I have an appointment to see him on the 19th of the month. I was told that i can't lift anything over 10 lbs before the surgery, and for 6 weeks afterwards. Now, for those of you that don't know, I'm an overnight stocker at Walmart, in the pet department, with lots of heavy lifting, so now when I return to work Saturday, I'll have to try to get them to put me on some kind of light duty work, whatever that might be. As if that wasn't bad enough, I now also have another toothache that flaired up this afternoon (makes it harder to enjoy a pipe since I do tend to clench a lot). This is not what I had in mind as a way to spend my last couple of days on vacation. Dang, I hate getting old, and it seems like I'm falling apart. Oh well, I guess that is what happens when you suffer from a condition called AGE. 8O

sincityjeff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2011
Damn.
Good luck with the surgery, my aunt had one like that. Shes much better after words. Do worry to much about getting a surgery for that, you will feel much better.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Maybe they will extend your PAID VACATION eh? One can only hope.
Speedy recovery brother!

winterland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Minneapolis
Sorry to hear. Not fun to not know what your job asituation will be in this day and age. I am sure all will work in the end. With a great pipe smoker attitude how can it not?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
It sounds to me like your job is most likely what caused the hernia, unless there was some specific event outside of work where you might have hurt yourself.

Make sure your not taking this on by yourself, if it does turn out that its work related.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
hate those hernia's i have had 1 umbilical hernia that needed surgery and they said that now that area will be weakened and you will most likly get another one. And what do you know i have another one :evil: and to make matters harder i just filled out the application for work in the next season at the works and had to tell a white lie about it. i am hoping i will be on the chain as there is no lifting. anyway hope they sort yours out and good luck with the light duties

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Thanks guys! I'm sure work probably contributed to the injury, if not outright caused it, but since it happened while I was off, it's probably not going to be something I could claim on workman's comp without a big to do at work.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I used to work pets overnight. It's like going to the gym. That's probably the most physically demanding job in the store. If you don't clear a ton of pallets every night it will stack up on you fast. Better see if you can transfer to another department, like shoes or something for awhile.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I used to work pets overnight. It's like going to the gym. That's probably the most physically demanding job in the store. If you don't clear a ton of pallets every night it will stack up on you fast. Better see if you can transfer to another department, like shoes or something for awhile.

I here you, a light night is anything less than 9 pallets of freight, and the average is more like 12-14. The heaviest night I ever had was 37 pallets. 8O

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
but since it happened while I was off, it's probably not going to be something I could claim on workman's comp without a big to do at work.
I bet theres a hundred lawyers in your area who would disagree about that.

I'm not saying to claim something is their fault when its not.

I'm saying you shouldnt put it on yourself to deal with this if it really is work related.

I havent had one but from what I understand, you can live with a hernia for some time before it really starts causing problems. Just because you noticed it when you were on vacation doesnt mean thats when it started.

I'm just saying, dont let yourself get screwed on the deal.

Like Seanz said, you may live the rest of your life with the consequences of it, make sure you know your options.

I'd look into it, at least ask the doctor his opinion about what really caused it, how long you may have been living with it, and whether it is or isnt work related.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Some thoughts about getting old:
Did you ever notice:

The Roman Numerals for forty (40) are XL.
When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to your youth, think of Algebra.
You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks.
Get well soon! :D

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I have had two inguinal hernias L and R the second one was repaired with local anasthetic and I was awake the whole time.It went just fine.When you are at home afterwards try not to sneeze,that is a real bummer.Good luck.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
had hernia surgury and now have a tire patch in my belly to hold in my guts. surgioun said with the tire patch i probably would not have to worry about another one at that spot...

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Hope you get well soon. I'd definitely look into workers' comp. It was something that probably was working its way out for a while(no pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.