PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

urtpiz

Lurker
Oct 29, 2013
I really envy you guys in your enjoyment of this "hobby". I started out with smokeless tobacco many years ago through sports, and finally was able to break that habit. Smoked cigars for a while, and the wife got tired of everything reeking of the smell. A couple of years ago she decided that my new habit of pipe smoking was more agreeable to her. I bought a couple of drug store pipes and started using OTC tobacco. I spent several months out of town on business one time, lost a pipe and reverted back to cigars for what ended up being about six months. We are now up to a month ago, when once again I am back to pipes. Bought a Mr. Brog pipe, abused it and it cracked. Bought a 3 pipes for 60 buck deal on PandC and they are junk with a capital J (IMHO). Bought two used pipes (Savinelli and a Kaywoodie) on Ebay that are in worse condition than indicated and were filthy and sour to boot. In the last month I have tried Captain Black White, Lane 1Q, something called Blue Note, H&H Larry's Blend, H&H Vermont Meat Candy and H&H Virginia Stroll. They all taste the same to me and are not very satisfying at all.
Would you keep going if this were your story? I've got some FM Out on the Town and Dunhill Flake, along with a new Savinelli, coming this week for my last attempt at success. Seems stupid to keep putting out the money if there's no satisfaction, but you know how it is when tobacco gets a hold of you.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
What are you looking for? The Nicotine kick? The same taste of a cigar? To me it sounds like you're looking to get some vitamin N so you might want to concentrate on some tobaccos that are a bit stronger in that regard.

urtpiz

Lurker
Oct 29, 2013
Eh, maybe. What does pipe tobacco with a lot of nicotine taste like? I wouldn't know. I don't know what tobacco has a lot of nicotine and what doesn't. I'm really just looking for something that has enjoyable tobacco flavor. It REALLY tastes like I'm smoking tree bark. I think my best pipe smoking experience was smoking some Captain Black Blue (pretty sure that's correct) but last month when I started back I couldn't find the Blue.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think if you were able to abuse a Brog to the point of cracking I think you pay be puffing a pipe like you do a cigar. I think your experience is similar to people who have a hard time slowing down to enjoy the subtelties of pipe smoking. I had the same problem for a while and still do sometimes. I think if you force yourself to slow down and really pay attention to what you are doing you will find more enjoyment out of it. I think the higher quality pipe and tobacco you have coming will help. Hope you figure it out. It took me over a year. Patience is hard to find with something like pipe smoking.

urtpiz

Lurker
Oct 29, 2013
Good points, Eagle. Yes I was smoking like a grease fire early on but settled my cadence down significantly. The pipe abuse was beating it in the patio floor to get the ashes out! I admit it! I'm just looking for something that smells and tastes remotely like tobacco, and wonder if my tastebuds have lost their usefulness.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
You're making all the same trial and errors we've all made, so hang in there. Like you, I primarily used dip before. My first pipe nearly 6 years ago was plastic, and captain black. Almost gave up myself. Luckily my next pipe I bought at a good tobacconist and it was a nice $80 cesare italian bulldog. Also got some stockebye english luxury. That did the trick, and I smoked it almost exclusively for 4 years before I got hooked on lakeland flakes. Good news for you is that it's only going to get better for you.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
... They all taste the same to me and are not very satisfying at all. ... Would you keep going if this were your story?

Welcome to the forum, urtpiz.

Don't give up too quickly. I expect that like most beginners you are smoking too hard and fast. Work on your technique and it will come in time.
I had a similar experience when I first started smoking; it all tasted the same and all bad. I remember being in a pipe shop and wanting to smell all the jars of tobacco they had to see what I might like. The man there said he did not care about the smell (room note), but he smoked what he liked the taste of. That almost made me laugh because I could not imagine that there was a pipe tobacco that tasted good.
I kept with it because I enjoyed the activity. I practiced packing my pipe properly and smoking slowly and after a while I started to enjoy the taste as well, and now I smoke what I like the taste of.
I'm not sure how much of it was learning to taste the tobacco or how much was due to improved technique; probably mostly the latter. Either way a little practice and a little patience should do wonders.
Best of luck to you. Please keep us posted.

:puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Give yourself some time to get the hang of it. You puff at the beginning, much like you would with a cigar, to get the tobacco lit and going. But unlike a cigar, once you have lit the top of the tobacco and tamped the ash, you sip the pipe, more like sipping scotch.

Don't smoke the pipe such that it gets hot to the touch because you're concerned about it going out. If the pipe goes out, it goes out. Just relight it. Eventually you will find a rhythm that works. Patience is the key to success.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
The other thing seems to be the OP's tobacco choices. He wants a tobacco taste and has a nicotine tolerance. I'd stay away from light virginias and aromatics. The only one that deviated from that is the Larry's Blend and it's still pretty "light" in my opinion. I would suggest something strongly tasting in both flavor and nicotine - perhaps Escudo and Nightcap. It will help him slow down and not push it too fast.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
You must be smoking much much too fast and probably relighting too many times for all the tobaccos to taste the same, like burning ash probably. Puff really slow, watch videos on how to pack a pipe. You'll start tasting the tobaccos really well.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
You have gotten some good advice. I'll just add don't give up. Someone on here said "It usually takes about 100 pipes before you get" or something along those lines. With more than 100 pipes smoked under my belt, I still don't get it sometimes, but the taste and enjoyment have drastically improved. So again, don't give up.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
I think this is a golden thread, a lot of great advice. I have been having similar problems. I have been smoking aromatics and have not found one yet that has much flavor. They smell good and have a great room note but again not much flavor. Urtpiz we will get there, I have been learning to slow down a lot and am going to be trying some better quality tobaccos. Hang in there buddy..

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
If you are looking for something sweet get some molto dolce, something enjoyable yet tasty get a can of nording labrador, something rich f&t cut virginia plug or sam gawith full virginia flake. Like the other guys said take your time, slowly sip, roll the smoke around in your mouth, don't blow it out but rather open up and let it drift out, take your time and enjoy every puff.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Have you ever tried smoking a MM cob? Buy a bag of seconds($30) and practice packing and your smoking technique on those first so you do not ruin a good pipe. When I started and it wasn't more then a year ago, I wasted so much cash on cheap crap pipes. The cobs are great smokers and if you screw it up, who cares its only 3 bucks. Next if you were into cigars, I would suggest you try Escudo. I just finished smoking my first tin and it reminds me a lot of a nice cigar with a bit of spicy/sweet taste, very full flavored, it is a great VA/PR. How folks can hold of smoking this stuff for 5,10, even longer baffles me lol! Hang in there, read, and if you got questions ask someone for help. There is boundless amount of wealth in experience and knowledge amongst the members here on this forum.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Bought two used pipes (Savinelli and a Kaywoodie) on Ebay that are in worse condition than indicated and were filthy and sour to boot.
I've had the same problem and have decided that if I buy another estate pipe it will already be cleaned. But for the time being, remove your stem and fill your pipe bowls with Kosher salt and pour in alcohol (I use Everclear, but vodka would work). Wait a couple of hours until the tops start to look brownish and empty them. Repeat this a couple of times then clean them up. That should take the sour smell away.
I also would recommend a couple of MM Cobs, just don't buy Chinese. They are the best kept secret among beginners and old timers alike. If you decide to continue on, invest in a Forever Stem from Walkers. They aren't cheap, but are definately worth the money.
Good luck, and welcome.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Dunhill Royal Yacht and Peterson Irish Oak are higher in nicotine too, if that's what you're looking for. Also, if you are going to buy estate pipes I would buy them from one of our sponsors. These guys know pipes and won't sell you garbage. And spend $2 on a pipe tool to clean out your pipes rather than banging them on the ground. As always patience, patience, patience. Good luck.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I hope all the comments help out. I've been smoking a pipe for over 10 years and I still smoke it hot on more than occasion, but when you hit that perfect rhythm and don't have to relight and smoke nearly an entire bowl slowly and relaxing, you remember why its worth doing.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Have you ever tried smoking a MM cob? Buy a bag of seconds($30) and practice packing and your smoking technique on those first so you do not ruin a good pipe. When I started and it wasn't more then a year ago, I wasted so much cash on cheap crap pipes. The cobs are great smokers and if you screw it up, who cares its only 3 bucks. Next if you were into cigars, I would suggest you try Escudo. I just finished smoking my first tin and it reminds me a lot of a nice cigar with a bit of spicy/sweet taste, very full flavored, it is a great VA/PR.
I second this excellent advice from Mike73. I never thought about it until I saw his post, but Escudo is a great choice for beginners, especially those looking for "good tobacco flavor." It's a natural tobacco blend that's neither an aromatic nor an English, which are both better explored when one's technique is better established. It's also fairly forgiving for fast puffers (I know this from my experience) and won't bite if pushed a little too hard.
Cobs smoke very well, and are dirt cheap. I don't think I'd be the only person on this board who'd choose to smoke a $5 MM cob before a $30 basket briar pipe.

urtpiz

Lurker
Oct 29, 2013
Thanks for coming through with the feedback. I have the Savinelli, really like it, and am waiting for the Dunhill Flake and FM on the town. If I strike out with these I'm likely to push away from the table. I probably didn't make myself clear enough that initially I was a strong puffer but have gotten better. My cadence is to slowly puff about three times and then put the pipe down for about 10-15 seconds, trying to maintain a cooler bowl. Maybe that's not slow enough but that's where I'm at. I'm just not getting much if any discernible flavor from the tobacco. I will certainly compile all of this advice and move forward with my remaining head of steam and see where I end up. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.