PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
hi all,
I'd like to share something hard been bothering me for a while.

I live in China. The company in charge of maintaining this website has it blocked if accessed from China, in other words, I need a VPN.

I don't think it's blocked by the Great Firewall of China.

It's configured this way. It often makes it annoying and difficult to connect to.

In the same idea, there is no mobile version of this website.

I am at home just a few hours a day, and I don't want t spend it behind a computer.

Instead, I use my phone most the time.
So I was wondering about the following: can the admins of this site do something about it?
Cheers

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Why is the site blocked, do you think? Is tobacco considered subversive?

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014
I am in China too and often have this issue. i don't have my VPN on right now, on a phone, and am entering in by including /forums in the URL. I don't think the site is being blocked, as many so often are over here, by the firewall. I think it is the site itself. My guess is that maybe it has to do with advertisers and hit counts being prefered in the US, but that is just a stab in the dark.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I also access the site via Chrome on my Android (Samsung S5). The forum works great on my phone. From a related thread a few weeks ago, a phone app is on Kevins "to do" list, but it won't happen anytime soon. (personally, I hate Tapatalk)

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I live in China too, I think it's only recently that I started having trouble getting on this site. Nowadays I have to use a VPN to get on this.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm using a phone right now and I like it exactly the way it is.
The firewall sounds weird, but I detest "mobile versions" of websites. Set your browser to not load images and you can browse forums all day and use less than 50MB/Month.

I'm also using a Note 4, so, Phablets rock.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Set your browser to not load images and you can browse forums all day and use less than 50MB/Month.
There needs to be a "remove BS" version of HTTP: no javascript, no images, no flash, etc.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
This site is fine without a phone ap. Flip sideways and pinch expand. I've got an unlimited data contract so no worries. Some sites - I like their ap. Amazon and (ahem) OKCupid are good.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I live in Azerbaijan and cannot access to the site with my iphone/ipad. I get Error 403 or a text explaining that this homepage doesn't exist. Have to use my laptop all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.