PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I typically keep 3-6 pint Ball brand mason jars out filled with bulk blends (recently they've all been English blends) and maybe a tin or 3 opened to allow plenty of diversity in my smoking rotation. Yesterday evening I was preparing to go out to a dinner that our Sportsmans club hosts every year and I was hurriedly moving jars around to fill a small pouch up with enough EMP to fill a couple of my cobs bowl with for the evening. Today I was working out on the deck cleaning my grill and furniture as the weather has thankfully started to warm and once again I was puffing on one of my cobs and just grabbed the jar I thought held my EMP. It turns out as I finally took a moment to light the pipe I had previously loaded that something was off with the taste I am so accustomed to when lighting up one of my most favorite tobaccos. I immedietly recognized the flavor as being some Fox&Hound bulk (Altaldis) that I haven't touched in weeks and although I like the blend and the price, I just have not been smoking it as of late. I was kind of proud of myself after going inside, checking the label and confirming my suspicions that I had loaded up what I thought was another blend and got an amusing idea. I wondered if I took say a half dozen jars, put the contents label on the bottom, shuffled the jars and selected ones at random to smoke and then see if I could ID the concoction each time? I'm primarily an English/Balkan smoker and prefer ribbon cut so just looking at the blend should have little influence on me guessing which one I would be packing.
Just curious if any of you have ever fooled around experimenting like this?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Definitely! One thing I like to do is write down all of my notes

on a particular blend and then go to tobacco review sites to see how I did.
Also, we have a "mystery" tobacco thread going right now:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tell-me-what-this-tobacco-is

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I did see that the other day ironically. It'd be fun to pair some people up based on the preferences of their taste and tobacco genre and run some mystery swaps to see how well they can single out individual blends. I would think it have to be confined to what's currently available In their location on the globe just to keep it fair and give everyone a fighting chance. If someone were to send me a couple bowlfuls of say, some vintage BS, I'd probably like it but would only be able to compare it to something I may have smoked in the the 10 years that I've been at it. A contest like that may be a little much for an Internet forum but for pipe clubs, I think it would be good fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.