PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Not my restoration, of course, but I just needed to post this and say look at that bowl! It's shape is perfection. I know it's a pretty standard and common shape of bowl, but there's something about this one that stood out to me.

Code:
https://youtu.be/LwqQCGsZQb0

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I would call that a bent apple. A personal favorite.
I assume the name comes from that gorgeous bowl shape, but if you image search 'bent apple pipes' there's just as many with a bowl that look nothing like an apple.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
if you image search 'bent apple pipes' there's just as many with a bowl that look nothing like an apple

True, but you've to keep in mind that some people/vendors just don't get it right. My image search turned up a Savinelli 320, which is NOT an apple but an author.
The 'canonical' definition groups the pipe in that video as a half-bent apple, though.
Bent-apple.gif

Bent_Apple

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
True, but you've to keep in mind that some people/vendors just don't get it right
Yeah, I'm learning that quickly.
No word of a lie, I was looking for pipe books on amazon the other day, and someone had listed a pipe. The picture showed it to be a cheap Chinese thing with a metal basket in the chamber - in fact identical to the one I bought from a pound store for... well, a pound.
This person had it listed for £300+ 8O
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brand-Classic-Mini-Tobacco-Smoking/dp/9895501129/ref=sr_1_190?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1547254673&sr=1-190&keywords=pipe+smoking

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
That's just unreal. 8O
I've found that sometimes not even those in the business know their shapes. Once, at the local tobacconist, I got a blank look from the lady behind the counter when I asked her to 'please, show me that Brigham apple'. I had to point with my finger, argh!
When I was starting out, I found this page useful in knowing my shapes: Pipe Shapes Guide.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
When I was starting out, I found this page useful in knowing my shapes: Pipe Shapes Guide.
Someone linked to that in another thread (may have been yourself). I bookmarked it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.