PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Walk away now. I have a feeling Sable has already sold a kidney to bag this baby.
Hah! But no. My kidneys are safe for the moment. This one is strictly for amusement. The condition of the stem instantly caught my eye and I think that the assessment is spot on. It's been cleaned up to remove oxidation, some of which can still be seen at the button. The pipe is a patent era piece, or at least that stem is. The box is about 20 years newer than the pipe. And the sock is likewise not original, but from a much later period.
Besides, there are currently two determined, if not very knowledgeable, pursuers. Add to that the probability of a desperate sniper and you have all the makings of a Barnum sideshow.
This definitely has been a classic week for ludicrous bidding on Barlings. Well over $700 for an old Barling with a replacement stem.
Impossible as it may seem, I think that I will pass.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
There are some new players in the mix. This should just keep getting better.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
$700+ for a Barling with a replacement stem, huh.
I have one that I'll sell for only $500; it not only has a replacement stem, it has a replacement bowl and shank too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The seller has hit a fine wave with this one. He can just ride it home.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The psychology of auctions is pretty outlandish. If you can pick off the under-attended items, sometimes it's great. But when the bidding takes off, there has got to be better use of that amount of money.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Bidding history has a user 0***c in the mix; I wonder if same one that was mentioned in the retractions thread.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
This is the one to watch!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-Comoys-BLUE-RIBAND-EXTRAORDINAIRE-FULL-BENT-OOM-PAUL-English-Estate-Pipe-/361275194455

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Probably the same 0****c, be recently he has gone from zero history to 'private'. Brilliant.
I'm saving my cash for Chicago.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, bidding on that BR is pretty fierce!
This Sasieni caught me by surprise tonight, I thought maybe $300.

An unknown seller, but two determined bidders.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sasieni-8-Dot-59R-Rare-amp-Early-1923-era-Vintage-Estate-Pipe-Original-and-Mint-/221749285714?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Quite the day for stupid.
Bidding history has a user 0***c in the mix; I wonder if same one that was mentioned in the retractions thread.
Yep. The bidder ID's are unique, supposedly.
On the "8 Dot". It's an interesting pipe, and I think that the stem is a fake. Why do I think that the stem is a fake? Oh, let me count the ways! Well, for starters, the four dot diamond is the wrong shape. The diamond always has three dots in close proximity with the fourth a little distant. The four dots do not form a symmetrical configuration. The dots are too large for the period, based on the other stampings. And, the dots are the wrong color. So, other than the logo dots being in the wrong configuration, color and size, it's perfect. BTW, depending on which expert you cite, 8 Dots didn't come into being until around 1928 or 1935, not 1924. And then there's the "cut off stinger" hardly a mint condition, n'est pas? And what about that stinger? Threads? Who has EVER seen a Sasieni stinger sporting threads! Maybe the threads are showing because the forger couldn't screw the stinger into the FAKE stem. BTW, did anyone notice that the fit between the shank and the stem is off? No sympathy here for the bidder. Don't buy what you don't know.
The Blue Riband is a perfect example of what happens when cojones replace brains. "I'M NOT GOING TO BE OUTBID!! MY MANHOOD IS AT STAKE!!" It's a nice enough pipe, but not that nice. It's also interesting that while a Blue Riband Extraordinaire is supposed to be rarer than hen's teeth, a number of them have been popping up. Perhaps not so rare after all?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
That Eight Dot is kind of interesting. Looking at the markings, esp. the shape number, 59R, it almost makes me think it's a stummel from a One Dot. The threaded piece of metal in the tenon, looks like part of the two part "canister" filter that is seen on some of the older Sasieni seconds (just took one apart recently), like the Friar. The canister threads onto the piece seen in the pictures, which in turn is threaded into the tenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.