PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I don't know about the rest of youse pipers, but sometimes I don't smoke all the tobacco in my pipe. If there's a fairly useful amount, after I've cleaned out the ashes, I save that dottle in a small salad bowl and accumulate it and let it dry in the open air.

I'll mix lat blends with VaPa and VaBur, or some cavendish based mildly topped BurVa aro. It usually provides me with a very nice smoke that may be kicked up a notch (?) Nic wise.
I also experiment with fresh leftover combos all the time.

It's tobacco, not rocket science.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Salad bowl? Whatever happened to the trusty old Persian slipper on the mantle?!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry, I won't stoop to dottle, but I do sometimes catch some tobacco in a bowl over which I pack my pipes,

and/or where I rub out flake or plug tobacco, and I take my chances with that blend. To me, dottle is worthy

tobacco that has served it purpose as a bed for the other tobacco and as a filter of it. To rescue it for re-use

is beating a dead horse unless you smoke thirty bowls a day. I can't even get around to opening many of the

tins of great blends I have on hand, so I'm not rescuing any dottle. I may be thrifty, and I could sometimes be

called cheap, but I'm not crazy. Sherlock was brilliant but decidedly a little nuts.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Ooooh, smoking dottle? That's rough. I've tried that before. Maybe it's different because I have aromatics, but it's never tasted good to me. It's like smoking gross ashes. The tobacco just absorbs that taste... I cringed as I typed this, haha. I'm with MSO on this one. I'm a thrifty college student, but I'm not that thrifty! Blehhhh.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I'm gonna have to agree with so on this one. Life is way too short to smoke dottle. But to each our own right? I have tried left over combos with some luck. My neighbor usually likes it. It's kinda funny he goes for the leftovers rather than Mississippi River or LNF.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Eewe and yuck.
Pipe tobacco will never be as cheap as it is today, treat yourself to something fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.