PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
What next ????? Now there's a campaign against "third hand smoke" ie. smoke on your clothing and in your hair.

Add that to the movement to stop you smoking in your own home and you can see where they're headed.
Do these people have nothing else to do but think of stupid problems and meddle in other peoples business???

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
When people start complaining about 2nd or 3rd hand smoke, I like to bring up the fact the gas powered vehicles produce much more harmful toxins than any tobacco product. To which I usually get a response of ' well I'm not wrapping my mouth around the exhaust." To which I will usually reply with the following:
Me to the anti-smoker 'I'll make you a deal, I'll go home and lock myself in my garage with 15 cigarette smokers for 5 hours. You do the same in your garage, but instead of smokers, you keep your car running for 5 hours. If you are still alive after that, I will agree with you 100% on the affects of 2nd & 3rd hand smoke."

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
@northernneil, I love it, I've used that same argument. What the toxic fumes that come off of new furniture, or the inside of new car. All that stuff is toxic.

Jan 8, 2013
Northernneil, that is a damn good arguement. Hopefully you won't mind if I borrow that one.
I'm fairly sure most all-purpose cleaners leave a residue, so does dish detergent. Neither of those can make great additions to our diets, but no one seems to mind consuming that crap.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
That there is what I call first rate bullshine.
If a person said something about 3rd hand smoke to me, I would tell them its much less dangerous than stupidity.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Some people call it second hand smoke, I call it getting it for free.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Every time I hear Deep Purple play "Smoke on the Water" or see a picture of Smokey the Bear, I start coughing. They should both be outlawed! This is an outrage!

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
This story and it's supposed research is at least a decade old, and nobody's made a big deal of it in that time. It'll blow over, it's just to appeal to overbearing mothers buying second hand cars that someone may have smoked in.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
@northernneil THANK YOU!!! That was a great laugh and now I know exactly what to say!

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
It is sheer diversionary tactics and I'm sure this anti-tobacco hysteria is getting lots and lots of funding from shell companies set up by the likes of Oil producers and car manufacturers, not to mention fast food etc. Of all the things to worry about being toxic in this world, tobacco should be waay dow the list. There also should be a distinction between cigarettes and all other forms of tobacco, in the same way no-one mixes up a Big Mac with a Prime Rib. Next time you're in a hostile situation vis a vis tobacco just ask the person whether they own a car, or why they're obese if they're so worried about their health. I had a confrontation re cigarettes at a dinner in Dec....from a guy who's at least 5 stone overweight and doesn't give a damn about that, who has chosen to live in one of the most polluted cities on earth. But if was my cigarettes he was worried about? I told him he was a total dick and continued to smoke....albeit a few feet further away from him.

Mar 3, 2014
At the same time people can drench themselves in perfume and no one says anything! Im quite allergic to that but what do I do, I dont stand close to them. Problem solved!!

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
"Third hand smoke is going to kill me and my entire family! I'm too healthy for that!"
*Unwraps cheeseburger and soda, turns on TV (Fox News) for 11th hour today, breathes recirculated air, eats aspartame laden chewing gum, etc etc*

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Jake, my 110 pound Lab, gets the second hand smoke from my first hand smoke, and then releases it in the yard giving the squirrels third hand smoke to give to the birds giving them forth hand smoke which in turn give the deer fifth hand smoke. Now everything is dead because I enjoy a pipe. Woe is me. I wish the deer lived in my house so they could die faster so my garden wouldn't be eaten. Damn deer.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Why fox news? They are not guilty of spreading this hysteria. It the alphabet networks who perpetuate this crap.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I wouldn't blow what's going on with "third hand smoke" off. They're serious. A major hospital in downtown Indianapolis made a policy banning third hand smoke. Any employee coming to work smelling of tobacco smoke can be sent home and disciplined up to termination. It's completely ridiculous.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
So... what "hand" is it, reading about pipe smoking from people whose fingers actually touched tobacco before touching their keyboards?
My eyes won't stop coughing and my fingers can't smell anymore.
Coining a new label just for you: smoker hacks.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.