PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Any advice on where to start looking for the right pipe? What should I be looking for. I was initially not going to try this because I didn't want it to seem like a "prop" and a Lord of the Rings Joke. I'm pretty serious about my pipe smoking. Looking to spend less than $125.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I was just searching ebay for Churchwardens also, wondering how they smoke and what is a good reasonably priced one for a beginner.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
They make for a cool smoke, plenty of time to cool down in such a long stem.
If I was going to buy a churchwarden, I'd buy a pearwood one, maybe a Mr Brog, but probably a Ukrainian import (tons of them on ebay)
But then again, I don't have $125 to spend. You could get a nice Savinelli briar churchwarden for that much.
Briar is the best but pearwood root really does make a fine pipe, too.

wolfie90

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2012
Huntington wv
Id say try one of the Mr. Brogs first. There of very good quality and if you end up not liking them your only out 20 dollars.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I too have a Savinelli churchwarden. They are great, "sitting by the fire", pipes.
Oh yea.. and you can look somewhat like Gandalf!! lol
I plan on trying a Mr. Brog sometime soon.
Jason

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Buy any missouri cob you like, then buy the church warden stem, now you have a cob warden! Guaranteed not to look anything like what you would see on TV xD it would also be one of the coolest smokes ever, cons absorb a lot of the moisture and the stem will cool down what's left.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Zanthal the cob warden is about 60, and of you look on pipesandcigars.com you can find a church warden that smokes decent for under 30.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Cob warden is a great idea! 8" forever stem @ $24 + cob @ $4 and looks to me like under $30....not 60 :nana:
Otherwise, I really like churchwardens. In general I think they are comfortable and impressive looking. And I am in the club that there is a cooling effect. It is very slight, and some don't think the extra inches make a difference, but I do. I also really like my MacQueen, but if you don't wanna look LotR-ish, then they're not for you.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I know Missouri meers humans have some closer to 25-30 if you get there biggest pipe and I like to over estimate instead of under, but yes it is entirely possible to get one for 30 before shipping :)

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
wnghanglow you make a very good point about thinking outside the box. you can turn any pipe you have into a churchwarden, just order a churchwarden stem and fashion it to fit the mortise.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Is there a "normal length" or are all of the various lengths depending on who made it?

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
My suggestion would be too buy one with both the warden stem as well as a short stem. That way if you don't like the long pipe, you can smoke it in the shorter version. The Hans Christian Andeerson is a good example.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'd love to get a church warden one of these days and those Sav's look great. I really like the ranger from Macqueen.

Status
Not open for further replies.