PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
For some time I've been considering writing a book semi based on some of my misadventures. An action/mystery. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
When you write the book tell it like you are talking to a friend,I enjoy books that a person is telling a story, the old cajun, think of Call of the wild by I believe ByJack London

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hey Irish I thought the same thing for a long time also. About three years ago I started a blog and post to it a couple times a week or more. I have a short attention span and often can't sit still for very long so that has always seemed to keep me from commiting to writing an actual manuscript. For me anyways the blog is a perfect outlet for my creative energy that seems to come in quick spurts. It's also fun to share stuff going on in my life through the blog in a structured form as opposed to the mindless drudgery of facebook. In the future if I want to create some kind of autobiographical work I already have pages and pages of material to draw from in the blog.
Whatever the case I think you should do something. I look at it this way: Once you're gone from this world what have you left behind? How did you make your mark? Will anyone even care? Who knows but what have you got to lose in the meantime?
If interested the link to the blog is on my profile page.

Jul 15, 2011
Do it. No matter what you want to say or how it sounds once you say it, just do it. Writing a novel is a thoroughly amazing experience that nothing else can compare to, at least for me. If you need any help or specific advice, PM me sometime with any questions you might have and I will help you as best I can.

Jul 15, 2011
Yea buddy! Let me know if you need someone to read it over or help to get started. Im currently in the process of working on one myself.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
@Pipe Novelist thank you! I will definitely be taking you up on that offer! That's goes for you too storient!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I took a writing class at our community center last month and it was a blast. Had a great instructor and through her encouragement I'm on chapter 6 of a historical fiction I've been thinking about for many years. I've received compliments from her about it but for just the enjoyment of writing it is fun.

Just start writing and let the story take you where it may; you'll be surprised how it develops.

Good luck.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
@hobie1dog Lmao that's what my fiance said too and now we have an ultrasound tomorrow to find out if its a boy or a girl!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've written two books and I just write as if I'm telling someone a story. Just write how you talk, then spell check and then get someone who is better at grammar to proofread. The grammar in my books sucks because I only have my wife and her grammar is worse than mine.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
Writing a book is much harder than people think. I wish you all the luck in the world. We need more pipe books. I finished my book Adventures of a Pipe Traveler which I thought would go overmuch better than it has. I've been working on book number two but I think why waste my valuable time writing when I could be sailing, woodworking etc.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
In the wise words of Sharpe: 'write a bloody good book with loads of shooting in it and you'll die a rich man'.
Last thing I wrote of any consequence was my thesis, and that has no shooting in it (or very little narrated shooting at least), and as a result of this labour of love, I will not die a rich man.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
My book is not a how to book, there are too many books and booklets out there plus all the YouTube stuff portraying what works for them NOT you. My book is NOT like that what for me might not work for you. My book is about my life trucking all over the country meeting interesting pipe folk along the way. Doing that for 40 yrears gave me many events to talk about,

Status
Not open for further replies.