PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanrulz

Lurker
Sep 25, 2012
Think of buying porsche design pipe~! got anyone use it before???? is it nice n worth buying????

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Most likely overpriced, better off sinking that cash into a higher quality pipe.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I think they are a fad item. A decent briar can be had for the price of them and offer a much better smoke. Mine burns hot, wish i had bought a Castello or Ferndown with the same money.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have read a few places that said these pipes are more suited for the collectors who don't smoke em. They are made by one of the huge parent companies of some of the major brands but because of the finish that is put on them they tend not to rest as well. Again, only from some reading I have come across.
My opinion, if you are willing to spend that much money on ONE pipe you would be better off going with some newer pipe maker. I would ask Big Van and Cigarmaster who are always raving about new carvers they come across. And for the money you would pay for a Porsche Design I think you would get better value for your money.
I would spend that money on three or four pipes from Nording, Butz or Mario Grande.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For what those go for you can buy 3-4 pipes like eaglerico suggested. I would buy estate Savinelli's, Mastro De Paja's, Castello's, Caminetto's, Radice's. If you are looking to buy new, you can buy 2-3 of the names above. If you are looking for an artisan pipe, I would go for Rad Davis or Scott Thile and both of those names are cheaper than a brand new Porsche design. If you want English pipes, you can buy 2 brand new Ferndowns from our sponsor pipes2smoke for the price of the Porsche. If you want estate English pipes, you could buy 2-3 Ashtons or a few Lane Era Charatans. There are so many better options than buying the Porsche in my opinion.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
question.. have any of you that suggest there are better at a lower price, have you actually smoked one of the Porsche pipes?

Aug 1, 2012
I own one of the first run of porsche design pipes and I love it. The older ones are harder to find but they are a lot less expensive. My wife bought mine for less than $200 so it wasn't terribly expensive. You can search my previous posts to find a first-impression review. Otherwise, i'll give a better review of it when I get home later. Gotta love all the reviews by those who have never smoked them.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Actually quite the contrary if you read my post i clearly stated that i do own one mine is from the early 90's and I stand by my original statement. It burns hot, and for the price I should have invested in a decent higher end briar. I have no regrets from purchasing my Ferndowns or Charatans or even older Pete's i would gladly sell mu Porche designs if it weren't that my PD was a gift from my wife.

Aug 1, 2012
3 reviews by non-owners+1 stated as a feeling clearly stating non-ownership and 2 opposing owner reviews. Yours was a review by an owner piper.

Aug 1, 2012
Sorry if my post seems brusque but typing on a phone is not conducive to longer, more politically correct ones.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
@dochudson
No I have not smoked a Porsche pipe. What I stated was what I had read in an article a while back and from what I understand is a bit on consensus from previous conversations here. I think in general the Porsche design pipes are a bit gimmicky and are just pulling on the allure of Prosche cars. I actually really like the designs and wished more suppliers of pipes would venture in this direction as far as shape is concerned.
I think the reason for the recommendations given is because in the OP the questions was asked if "it is worth buying."
@ captainsousie
Regardless if someone has tried it I am pretty sure everyone can give an opinion on their perceived value. And where did I give a review? I was pretty clear on where I was coming from.
I must have missed the day everyone in the world got inducted into the PC police academy.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I'm not the police but it seems odd that folks without having actually smoked one have such hash opinions. Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true. Is it worth buying? depends on what model and how much he has to pay for one. I certainly don't think the design is any farther out then a lot of the freehands I see.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwdI6dKtd34&feature=youtube_gdata_player

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
No worries Capt i took no offence sir. I love the way mine looks and will cherish where it came from just not one of my better smokers for the price. To all you Porche smokers out there is there a tobacco you find smokes better in these pipes since I would love to get more use out of it!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Breaking news - I've never smoked a Bo Nordh pipe, but they suck, and are over priced. Ugly as well, almost forgot that.

Aug 1, 2012
@piperl12 Do you have a filter adapter for it? I know it makes a difference in mine if I don't have the adapter in.

Aug 1, 2012
They're usually sold separately but you might have luck. If you need one I have an extra I could send you.

Status
Not open for further replies.