Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Think I've Found My VAPer!

(48 posts)
  1. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy hot damn! Just cracked my first tin of McC's St. James Woods, and three bowls into it I'm still just blown away.

Got some Blackwoods Flake in the same order, but that's going to have to wait, I think. McClelland VA's are something else, man.

On a related note, anyone know how long that sale on McC at P&C is running? I think I'm going to have to use up next month's baccy budget a month early...

In summation: St. James Woods and I are now the best of friends.

~seanMoses~
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

McClelland VA's are something else, man.

IMHO, no one, on either side of the pond, sells better vigrinia tobaccos than McClelland.

anyone know how long that sale on McClelland at P&C is running?

I'm almost sure the 15% off McClelland blends and the free tin of Froggie w/a $60+ McClelland order is over now. I want to say it ended at midnight EDST on May 20th.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I want to say it ended at midnight EDST on May 20th.

Well, at least I made out pretty well. Well enough that I almost feel like I was stealing. Two whole free tins of Frog Morton? Check. A handful of unknown (to me) McClelland blends PLUS stocking up on old favorites? Check.

It's probably been me buying all their Wilderness, too.

I really am glad I found the St James Woods though. That stuff was a game changer for me. I think it was the black stoved VA component that really put it over the top. This stuff is candy!

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You should definitely give Scottish woods a try... I destroyed that tin in less than a week!

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on MC's Vs

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Moses -- certainly hard to beat Saint James Flake. You'll love the Blackwoods Flake, one of my favorites. Dark Star is quite different -- real tasty. The Grand Orientals, the Series 221B, their Ashton revivals, man, I could go on and on. Good stuff.

What's great about McClellend too is the huge variety -- and the fact that whatever you want, if it's still in production, it's almost always in stock

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth: I can vouch for at least the Yenidje Supreme from the Grand Orientals line. I bought some of THAT because I fell in love with their Orient 996, and decided to buy blends showcasing the components of that one to see what it was that I actually was gravitating to. It turned out that it was all of it. Bright VA, red VA, Yenidje, and Syrian. I can't win lol. Or maybe I already have. With the 996.

Or, to broaden: with McClelland.

To paraphrase Bill Hicks, "I think I've found my brand."

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yep, I like orientals with virginia, but for some strange reason, I'd yet to try most of those Grand Orientals. They cellar well, best sale I've seen anywhere, so now was the time to get 'em all LOL.

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So... 15% sale IS over. Still running, however, is the free Froggy! Needless to say, I DID spend next month's budget on yet more McC's. Including (thanks to roth) Dark Star. And a lot of FMC to sit on. Also, my first Blue Mountain tins, and British Woods. Goddamn, kids... I can't get enough of ye olde McClelland blends!

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Moses have you checked out McCelland's Beacon by any chance? It is one of my favorite VaPers. It's like eating wine soaked brisket with a pepper crust.

I enjoy a few different blenders but lately McCelland's has really been nothing but home runs for me.

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes Moses, McC's Va are my favs, they use a fermentation process that results in that vinegar smell which gives a big tangy flavour. St. James woods is a really strong perique Vaper, so you're probably a Vaper guy if you love it, as it has quite a bit of perique in it. With the blackwoods flake, pop the tin and let it sit for a few weeks, trust me on this, the first time I tried it, I wasn't at all impressed with it, so I read that if it's a fresh tin, (mine was 2012) pop it and let it sit for a few weeks and then try it. I did and the change was amazing. The Christmas cheer series is also top notch virginia's, it's a special series they release every christmas season, I suggest you grab a tin of that. I'm ordering a tin of dark star on my next order, can't wait to try that.

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. tjameson

tjameson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a 100g tin of St. James Woods sitting in my cellar calling to me now! Glad I picke it up when I did and can't wait to try it

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. kcvet67

kcvet67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got the majority of my order today, the rest should be here early next week. The good news is that I saved $166. The bad news is that I spent over $940.

20 Dark Star
    10 St. James Woods
    5 Virginia Woods
    5 FM
    5 FMOTT
    5 FMOTB
    5 FMATP

The B/O is
    20 Blackwoods Flake
    5 Virginia #24
    5 Virginia #22

Hopefully that'll last me for a while. Unless they have another sale.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 6 years ago #
  14. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now that is a haul.

I have to ask - you have every FM blend except FMC - just curious why.

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The Christmas Cheer series is also top notch virginia's, it's a special series they release every christmas season, I suggest you grab a tin of that.

As Andrew notes, Christmas Cheer is a limited annual release. I grab 2-3 tins every year when it's released and toss them in the cellar. At Thanksgiving, I reach in and grab the oldest tin and smoke that through the Holidays.

Christmas Cheer is a special virginia blend, in red 100 gram cans, that changes every year. There may be some 2012 vintage (even some from earlier years) still for sale, if you look around.

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Moses, great to hear you found a blend you are in love with. The best thing about MCClellend blends is that they are readily available, I wish I could smoke more of them. You hardly ever see them out of stock. There are quite a few companies that should take lessons from these folks on how to keep their customers supplied and happy.

On another note, it is interesting to see how MC, Pease and C&D all American companies rarely have supply issues, unlike their European counterparts who always seem to have issues.

Harris
    Posted 6 years ago #
  17. kcvet67

kcvet67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to ask - you have every FM blend except FMC - just curious why.

I've smoked one tin of it It's not bad, just not as much to my taste as the first four FM blends. I have 4 more tins that I'll let sit for a year or so and give it another try.

Dark Star is my favorite. I have around 150 tins and plan to double that in the next year.

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dark Star is my favorite. I have around 150 tins and plan to double that in the next year.

God speed.

4 noggins still has Christmas Cheer 2012, Cup o'joes does as well as 2011 still I believe.

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

4 noggins Christmas Cheer is out of stock. Dag nabbit

I have my cart building up there and I wanted to try some of that

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm also in love with McClelland virginias. St James Woods is my absolute favorite tobacco right now. I smoked a bowl of it the other day and and tasted toasted marshmallows. Unbelievable.

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You should definitely give Scottish woods a try

I concur.

-Home At Sea
    Posted 6 years ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McC's St. James Woods, Va./Per -- wrote that one down on my calendar for future reference.
    Can't beat the right Va/Per blend. I'll check, but is this tinned only, or also bulk?

Posted 6 years ago #
  23. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Teufel & Jah:

Sctottish Woods and Beacon ND Beacon Extra all ordered. Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. kcvet67

kcvet67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McC's St. James Woods, Va./Per -- wrote that one down on my calendar for future reference.
    Can't beat the right Va/Per blend. I'll check, but is this tinned only, or also bulk?

Tins only. A couple of years ago I asked Mike McNiel to please, please, please start selling Black Label, Brown Label and FM in bulk for those of us who love them. His answer was "Never have, never will." Maybe at the KC Pipe Show I'll try pleading with Mary, she has a softer heart than Mike.

You might give McC 2015 bulk a try. It's not quite as complex as St. James Woods, but it's an excellent blend.

Posted 6 years ago #
  25. torque

torque

Login to Send PM

Picked up two 100 gm tins of St. James Woods on my last order, hands down my favorite as well. There's just something special about that blend. Also picked up a tin of Blakeney's Best Tawny Flake because I had never tried it, very nice blend and the tin I got was dated 2006.

Posted 6 years ago #
  26. patiobum

patiobum

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep a tin of St. James woods for those times when I want something sweet and tangy.

I called the McClelland company a couple of years ago and asked if they had a comparable bulk to St. James woods. They said 2010 + 5% perique would be real close.

cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.......

martin
    Posted 6 years ago #
  27. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Give some Marlin flake a go as well, one of my all time favs,
    and I would state my usual on this blend; don't screw
    around a buy her by the pound

Posted 6 years ago #
  28. torque

torque

Login to Send PM

Hmmm, that's interesting patiobum. Have to order some of that as well as some of the bulk 2015 to see how they compare.

Posted 6 years ago #
  29. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had mentioned quite a while ago that the former president of the NYC pipe club (Vernon) let me try Christmas cheer 1995 that he had stored away
    I really loved it and he let me have the 1/2 tin to take home

What a nice thing to do

Pipe clubs are great

Allan

Allan
    Posted 6 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Give some Marlin flake a go as well, one of my all time favs,
    and I would state my usual on this blend; don't screw
    around a buy her by the pound

Hehe, I took your advice and now have a pound of Rattray's Marlin Flake jarred in my cellar.

Great stuff -- actually comes in a 500 gram bag -- jarred a pound, with an "extra" pouchful to smoke right away

Posted 6 years ago #
  31. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth, you should post a review of that Marling Flake to let us know whether it's any good. I have a few 100g tins put away but have never actually tried the stuff, so I'm curious.

Posted 6 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Roth, you should post a review of that Marling Flake to let us know whether it's any good.

It's very good and positively will get better with age. I've got a bit left from the "sample" I put aside from the 500g bag -- I'll see what I can do on the requested review.

Posted 6 years ago #
  33. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another SJW fan here. I would also recommend Beacon Extra and Bayou Sliced if you like this style of McC VaPer.

Posted 6 years ago #
  34. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Roth, glad you liked the Marlin Flake, I really dig this stuff...always buy the 500g
    bags of her as well.

I just smoked some that had three years of age on it, oh boy! It sure
    does age well. Fresh is also great...what I heave learned with this
    blend as in other great blends is that it can't be "rushed" dry-time for
    me is about 12-24 hours, almost crispy dry, but that is the sweet spot
    on this one IMHO, smoked in a smaller/ conical bowl...fold/stuff or
    cube cut, smokes fantastic.

I also looked back on TR.com and out of 170 reviews this one
    averaged about 3 out of 4 stars, I would say most of the three
    and four star reviews had been spot on...I read the lower ratings
    with their results and immediately knew they tried to rush her...her
    greatness rides a fine line, but I assure you she is worth the time
    and prep.

Posted 6 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Interesting, Smokin'. I've left this partial jar of "left over" Marlin Flake for a couple months or more specifically because I thought it might improve from really good to great. Even though my bag wasn't overly moist, I'll be sure to let it "sit out" for some hours before I post my review.

Posted 6 years ago #
  36. delkhouri

delkhouri

Login to Send PM

I love almost every McClelland VA I have smoked that being said I love Marlin flake just as much if not a little more.

"I believe that many who find that 'nothing happens' when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand"
    ~ C.S. Lewis
    Posted 6 years ago #
  37. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love almost every McClelland VA I have smoked that being said I love Marlin flake just as much if not a little more.

I think I may have to grab a bag of this marlin flake considering it's sold at 4 noggins. You pretty much sum up my love of McClelland's Va's in that sentence, and even though it's a bit more pricy, I think Marlins may have that quality I'm after in a pound. I'll easily spend twice as much on a pound knowing that it's quality stuff. Have you tried McC's Old world flake though? It's only sold in bulk, and it's among the best Va I've smoked I would say.

Posted 6 years ago #
  38. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@jah76

...have you checked out McCelland's Beacon by any chance? It is one of my favorite VaPers. It's like eating wine soaked brisket with a pepper crust.

Yes! Beacon is my favorite VaPer thus far. I have quite a few tins aging in my cellar. Beacon Extra isn't too shabby either.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 6 years ago #
  39. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Andrew I don't think you'll be disappointed in Marlin Flake. Its like smoking raisins lightly sprinkled with fine ground white pepper.

Its sticky and I like rip/rubbing it out. I twist it to break it into smallish pieces, pack those, then rub a little out for the top of the bowl.

Posted 6 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Have you tried McC's Old world flake though? It's only sold in bulk, and it's among the best Va I've smoked I would say.

From McClelland's description of their Bulk No.5115 Old World Classic Cake, this sounds quite similar to the Mac Baren's HH Mature Virginia, which is a favorite of mine -- but the former is a broken flake, and the latter is ready-rubbed.

Posted 6 years ago #
  41. kcvet67

kcvet67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McC 2020 is one of my favorites. It's a bright leaf flake with just enough Lat and Oriental to make it really interesting.

Posted 6 years ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

My favorite VaPer is H&H Louisiana Red. Two red VAs and the right amount of Perique for me. It's a ribbon cut and would love this as a flake.

Posted 6 years ago #
  43. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You guys are a bad influence. There are so many tobaccos recommended here that I haven't tried. You guys are gonna get me in trouble.

Posted 6 years ago #
  44. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 6 years ago #
  45. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can anyone say "Tudor Castle" Mmm-mmm-mmm
    I was blast'in through tins like a mad-man they say
    it is suppose to age very well...great make a blend I can't
    keep my dang hands off of then twist the knife and tell
    me to leave it alone to age....COME ON MC! lmao

From the Tin;
    Ready to smoke and designed to age beautifully,
    Tudor Castle is a beautifully balanced blend of very
    sugary bright yellow Virginia, a good amount of rare
    No. 1 Grade Yenidje, red Virginia and a nice touch of
    St. James Perique.

Posted 6 years ago #
  46. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

More-more; NYPC's Bedloes Island, interesting blend, but
    I do recall saying "oh wow" when hitting about half-bowl and
    those have been the "best of blends" for me

Posted 6 years ago #
  47. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dragon I just ordered some Tudor Castle from P&C when they had their McCelland's sale. Never tried it. I also added some Black Parrot on a whim.

My order is still backordered (it's cool) and I've still got some tins to finish before I open anything new.

Posted 6 years ago #
  48. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, Dragon, I should pick up some TC by the sound of it. I love the McC Orient 996, which is mostly the same components. Syrian stands in for the perique, but other than that it seems about the same.

Next TAD!

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tufftony, paulfg