Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Things you hate about smoking pipe

(59 posts)
  1. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me it's one thing that consistently really gets me upset.

I smoke a pipe, but can't finish it, so I set it down, often just off on a table, but sometime stupidly back on the rack. Either way, the intent is to go back to it in a few hours, or tomorrow at the latest. But what really just down right pisses me off, is when I forget, and days or weeks go by and I'm getting prepped to smoke and think to myself "You know what? You haven't smoked your peterson (or whatever) recently....yea, the peterson would be awesome right now!" So you go and grab it from wherever you left it, and BAM, a half filled bowl with a chunk of old ash. Now you either scoop it out and take the time to clean, when you really just want to smoke, you risk a terrible smoke and just light up the old baccy (which if you don't remember how long it's been, these smokes can get pretty nasty), or you settle for a different pipe. NONE ARE PLEASANT!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I act like a dumbass, smoke too fast, and get a bad case of tongue bite. When that happens, I generally have to take a break for a day to let my tongue heal. I hate going a day without my pipe.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This one happened last night. When you're breaking in a pipe and suck up a burning ember which burns your tongue so bad you have to take a couple days off.

Getting a pipe that looked beautiful in the picture and it is a dog when you open the box. The side effect to that one is you are then out of money for PAD/TAD for a while.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. vdubguy18

vdubguy18

Login to Send PM

Pretty much the same as the original post...

Just never having enough time on my hands to enjoy an entire bowl. It is always one thing or another that comes up and I end up about 1/2 to 3/4's done.

It never fails and it upsets me the more then anything else.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. pipeshark

pipeshark

Login to Send PM

Four words... DA-DA!! WHERE ARE YOUUUUU? As for the pipe itself.... what is there to hate beyond tongue bite and gurgle?

May you next bowl be your best bowl!!
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

gurgle and when the tobacco tastes sour... luckily doesn't happen very often

You can buy education, but wisdom is a gift from God.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really hate when i'm in the zone and the bowl ends. Sometimes I'll just say screw it and repack and light it up again.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hah! LOTPR's this happened to me just a few days ago. I was balls deep in the deliciousness that is Penz reading a book...... Pipe goes out. Relight relight relight ... what the fuck. Oh, it's empty. Fuck my life. Repacked and all was well.

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOTPR & Flyffishn.... I did the same shit just yesterday lmao

What I hate the most (besides the above) ... I can't afford all the piles and baccy I want

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Aah yes. The never-ending perfect smoke. The bowl you wish was endless and then find yourself trying to relight ash, thinking it could not possibly be over. I should hate it, but I don't. It keeps me trying yet another blend and lighting yet another pipe. It separates me as a pipe smoker from my former self, who knew only another nail to feed an addiction!

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some days I pack a great blend in a well seasoned pipe and the smoke just sucks. For whatever reason, my tastes are off or I liked the idea of smoking a pipe more than I wanted to smoke my pipe. Those days are bad days...

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. lazydog

lazydog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

scoring a great snag on a great pipe, and the wait before it arrives. Childish anticipation. Hate the wait///

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

The drooling. I drool, sometimes a little drool, most times a lot of drool. All the time I drool. I'm a drooler

I hate drooling...

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. dpkrause

dpkrause

Login to Send PM

Waiting... ordered a bunch of cool pipes, accessories, and tobacco, and now I wait. Worst part is that I got called out of town, so I won't even be here when it gets in. However, this Sunday should be a great day.

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I hear ya on that dp....

I ordered a Joe Case pipe about what I'm going to guess was 2 weeks ago.....

4 - 6 week wait for it !

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. msandoval858

msandoval858

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too hate not being able to finish a bowl. I've been smoking more flakes folded and stuffed and they burn so damn slow that it's not uncommon I have to put a half full pipe down.

Finishing off a pipe of Irish Flake from last night. I do have to say, the delayed gratification factor worked in to this bowl nicely. It lit back up and burned beautifully with a great flavor! I guess it wasn't a loss afterall.

Mike
    Posted 6 years ago #
  17. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

+1 dp

I'm actually waiting on a package from smokingpipes, and it can take a while to ship to Canada, it's been 2 weeks already

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

pipe cleaning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm actually waiting on a package from smokingpipes, and it can take a while to ship to Canada, it's been 2 weeks already

I call this the 'aging process'.

Matt.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  20. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

Those days when you have to repack the pipe two or three times because the draw does not feel right before you can light it . This seems to happen when you have been smoking only flakes or only ribbon and then switch back to a different cut .Other than that it is all good .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 6 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

When a hot ember lands on an expensive shirt or trousers and by the time I notice it, the garment is ruined.

Thank God it doesn't happen too often.

Posted 6 years ago #
  22. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sipping smoke, and instead sipping condensation

“ Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please. ”
    — Pythagoras
    Posted 6 years ago #
  23. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cracking open a tin of highly awaited and highly praised, wait 3 months to find, rare and elusive nobody but this one shop in the middle of the Sahara carries it wonder tobaccos, and discovering that I don't like it.

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sipping smoke, and instead sipping condensation

This past summer two buddies and I went canoeing down the WI River. We went back in HS and now could enjoy ourselves Grown Up Style....meaning w/ lots of Whiskey.

If you aren't familiar w/ the WI River, it's shallow...so you end up walking a lot of it, either because you have to, or because it's hot and the water's nice and you can.

Either way, sudden drop off, and you're drawing river water+condensation+tobacco goop right into your mouth, and even though you brought your cheap pipes, you still can't spit it out right away and risk spitting out the pipe into the bottom of the river! YUCK!

Posted 6 years ago #
  25. tjameson

tjameson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only being able to smoke outside and at work unless my wife is not home for a few hours and then I get to smoke on the patio. Also not being able to finish a bowl especially when it's really good and is a sample from someone. I always use the old rolled up pipe cleaner to save my bowls for later, them I hate having to stop mid smoke and smother the bowl which sometimes just doesn't want to go out.

Posted 6 years ago #
  26. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't hate any of it. That's much too strong a word. There are some annoyances, sure, but that's the way life is.

And, IMO, if you can't use DGT on a bowl you don't have time to finish, you're smoking the wrong blends.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 6 years ago #
  27. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dislike being too broke to satisfy my PAD/TAD urges.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 6 years ago #
  28. daytonsean

Sean

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can only smoke outdoors. That's probably the biggest bummer about pipe smoking right now. Some nights aren't too bad, but it can get pretty cold on others. But even when I can't finish one I know I can return to it tomorrow and it'll be just as good.

My soul has had enough chicken soup, it needs more TESD podcast.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  29. fshu2

fshu2

Login to Send PM

when the shank gets clogged mid smoke.... pisses me off to no end.

Posted 6 years ago #
  30. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I pretty much smoke whenever I feel like it and usually uninterupted. But, I'd have to say the gurgle sucks, but not terribly.

-Jason

Jason
    Posted 6 years ago #
  31. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't hate any of it. That's much too strong a word.

Well said by jud! Yes the errant flying ember is annoying and I'm not to fond of cleaning pipes but smoke so little cleanings are far and few between.

Posted 6 years ago #
  32. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gurgle is the only thing that really annoys me. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often.

Posted 6 years ago #
  33. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only thing I hate is the smell smoking leaves in the house the next day. Even I don't like it - let alone my wife and kids (who are tolerating my smoking so far, but I know they are not loving it).

After the kids have gone to bed I enjoy smoking my pipe while watching TV or reading a book while my wife enjoys some tea. I really don't want to smoke in the basement or outside when it's 5 degrees! Been trying different ideas on this problem - will see...

"Be seeing you"

Posted 6 years ago #
  34. lazydog

lazydog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Check out a small Ozone machine Six, it does clean the air like nothing else.

Posted 6 years ago #
  35. guitarguy86

guitarguy86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cleaning, and gurgle.

Posted 6 years ago #
  36. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Check out a small Ozone machine Six, it does clean the air like nothing else.

Thanks lazydog. I have looked at those but they're very expensive and was nervous about spending that much and not have it work.

Is there one you've tested and can recommend?

Posted 6 years ago #
  37. sixmp

sixmp

Login to Send PM

I can't say anything bugs me about it tbh. It's pretty much the most fun i get with my clothes on!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  38. maduroman

maduroman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

what is this pipe cleaning ya all are talking about?

Posted 6 years ago #
  39. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

what is this pipe cleaning ya all are talking about?

lol!

I am fanatic about cleaning my pipes - can't help it - the way I was made. I treat all my things with extra care.

Posted 6 years ago #
  40. logandow

logandow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hate not finishing bowls, such a waste.

A man without a pipe is a man unprepared
    Posted 6 years ago #
  41. lazydog

lazydog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Six....I have a little 6x6" PROZONE ozone that cleans out a living room quite well. About 50$ as I remember. Do not know where I purchased it, but it is great. Perhaps a google search will yield some options. Really worth the money. Have had it for at least 6 years. I would advise buying a new one, not used..... I just checked Amazon & my unit they have for 111$,I think I got a closeout.

Posted 6 years ago #
  42. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lazydog - really appreciate it. Going to look into it.

Posted 6 years ago #
  43. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do not enjoy cleaning my pipes every morning from the day before. It usually rakes 6 pipe cleaners per pipe for a routine cleaning. I hate doing the everclear and hard core cleaning so I make my 2 sons do those once a week, they each have to do 5 pipes on the weekend. I also hate getting a mouthful of hot ash at the end of the bowl, I end up eating ash at least a couple times a week because I smoke all the way down and it tastes so good I try and get that last little bit.

Harris
    Posted 6 years ago #
  44. kris

kris

Login to Send PM

I hate it when you're just about at the end of a tin and left with only 1/4 of a bowl's worth of baccy!!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  45. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Setting it down.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 6 years ago #
  46. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hate having to remember all the things it takes to go out for a smoke: pipe, tobacco can,tamper, lighter, pipecleaners, maybe extra pipe. And it takes a bag to put them all in.

Posted 6 years ago #
  47. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I'm sitting in the back yard smoking my pipe and my dog decides to knock over my drink because he's off chasing things that go bump in the night.

Posted 6 years ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

anachronislad

Login to Send PM

The only problem I have is that the tobacco seems to get EVERYWHERE. I'm always finding tobacco flakes all over the place

Posted 6 years ago #
  49. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have to agree cleaning the pipes can get to be an annoyance and not being able to smoke inside.

Posted 6 years ago #
  50. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think there's anything I 'hate' about it. I have a lot of similar 'complaints' that have been aired here, but it doesn't dissuade me at all. I get too much pleasure from the whole thing to worry about the small, gurgly, stuff.

Posted 6 years ago #
  51. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

During the winter, I hate when I am enjoying a bowl, watching the smoke rise. Then I finally notice the pipe went out a long time ago, and I am watching my breath rise from the pipe.

Posted 6 years ago #
  52. mkelaw

mkelaw

Login to Send PM

Having some sweet young thing walk up to me and saying, "Oh, I loooove the smell of your tobacco" when the next line is, "My grandfather used to smoke a pipe." AARGH!

Posted 6 years ago #
  53. gageploungin

gageploungin

Login to Send PM

New to the hobby so for me it's not being able to afford to get a cellar going while paying for my daily consumption

“Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses to be bad perhaps in some way better than a man who has the good imposed upon him?”
    ― Anthony Burgess, A Clockwork Orange
    Posted 6 years ago #
  54. sjfine

sjfine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Setting it down.

I was wondering when someone was going to say it.

Posted 6 years ago #
  55. jaywellington

jaywellington

Login to Send PM

When you are out with smoker friends who don't see a pipe too often, haven't ever smoked one, and want to try from your precious pipe. I don't like making my briars or cobs peace pipes, but then again, my friends are more valuable!

A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free.
    -Abraham Lincoln
    Posted 6 years ago #
  56. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

nothing about pipe smoking that i hate but i do have a frustration that i just discovered. I bought my first tin of tobacco recently and realized that the tobacco comes in a vacuum bag that shrinks the tobacco considerably in order to make it all fit in the small tin ( WO Larsen old fashioned). this makes it so you cant pour out all of the tobacco and fit it in the tin. I had quite and incident when i opened the tin the next day and figured out that the tobacco that i did pour i the tin expanded causing it to spill all over. Anybody have any suggestions that they do with tins?

Posted 6 years ago #
  57. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I nailed a couple tin lids to my wall because I liked the art. CAO Cherry Bomb and Squadron Leader.

Posted 6 years ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Anybody have any suggestions that they do with tins?

Aside from the label art and some pleasing presentations, so many tins from various blenders can be a problem.

My latest issue was with Solani Silver Flake -- the tin and the tobacco presentation is gorgeous, but the tin itself isn't sealed at all and the perfectly sliced flaked tobacco inside is wrapped in cellophane. Thank God I didn't leave it in the cellar too long.

Some tins are wrapped in paper inside the tin but the paper holds tobacco pieces that go all over the place when the tin is re-opened.

Then there's the Hearth and Home Manor Heights tin I got this summer that had terrible packaging -- no liner at all and the inside of the tin wasn't lined properly, which caused the tobacco's moisture to rust the entire bottom of the tin. Luckily I caught it early enough and jarred the tobacco. Russ Ouelette says he'd notify the people who can the tobacco for P&C and hopefully that issue has been resolved, but that experience certainly doesn't make me want to get more of an otherwise very nice blend anytime soon.

I guess that's why many people just fill the pouch and jar the rest when they open a tin.

Posted 6 years ago #
  59. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not being able to smoke indoors!

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redglow, donjgiles, grilledokra, ashdigger, railman, alaskanpiper, sholto, anthonyrosenthal74, cigrmaster, redone, newportpipe