Things You Hate About Pipe Smoking

(62 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by jaytex969
  • Latest reply from shermnatman
  1. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tell us. Get it out of your system. I'll start.

I hate it when I'm trying to finish a pipe so I can go to bed but the tobacco refuses to be exhausted and it's smoking so well, I wouldn't dare interfere.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 5 months ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. The pipe is finished for the night when I say it is. That may mean there's plenty of unsmoked tobacco in the bowl- that I'll deal with in the a.m.

As to what I hate- not knowing for certain what is in a blend that makes me semi-nauseous.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Favorite carvers retiring is the only thing I can come up with.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 5 months ago #
  4. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Constant relights.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 5 months ago #
  5. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

Nothing, really.

There is some hassle that comes along but there is solutions and tricks for everything.
    Like windproof lighters, recently got a zippo for that purpose.

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Things You Hate About Pipe Smoking

https://yarn.co/yarn-clip/a0f3ba88-eb9f-4b14-b588-47db51cac049

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 5 months ago #
  7. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I reckon the wind either blowing freshly exhaled smoke back in my mouth when I inhale or the wind catching the top of my bowl when I'm not expecting it to and heating it up like a volcano in a short amount of time. Or when the wind blows by, dipping a finger in the ash in top of the bowl and flicking it in the general direction of my eyes.

Looking at this short list though makes me think my problem is with the wind, not pipe smoking....

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

glaswegian

Login to Send PM

Not finishing a bowl cause someone is disturbing the session....

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Questioning my manhood..... Wait, wrong thread.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 5 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

long prep time. picking the blend, checking moisture level, drying, loading, finding 45+ min window. then getting interrupted while enjoying the smoke.

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing. I hate everything else, though.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

long prep time. picking the blend, checking moisture level, drying, loading, finding 45+ min window

You make it sound like a chore

I don't hate anything about pipe smoking but I do find the prices of some accessories very irritating. There's absolutely no reason in the world (other than that some people will actually pay it) that a 4x6 inch leather pouch should cost $150 or an ashtray with a piece of cork glued to it $75

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 5 months ago #
  13. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I feel like if I list everything I don't like about pipes I just may talk myself out of them.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

long prep time. picking the blend, checking moisture level, drying, loading, finding 45+ min window. then getting interrupted while enjoying the smoke.

I get most of that done in five minutes while getting ready for work.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

Just yesterday I was smoking in the car and placed my pipe on my travel coffee mug in my center console to run into a store. Upon my return I hit the stem of the pipe, it spun quickly and ashes flew everywhere.

I smoked 3 bowls yesterday and cleaning up the mess would have been the worst part of it all.

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Upon my return I hit the stem of the pipe, it spun quickly and ashes flew everywhere.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

Nothing. I hate everything else, though.

Perfect.

Having to do anything while smoking or for 15-20 minutes thereafter. My lady knows that if I get up to go outside and smoke, I am fair game for any little chores while I'm up, but that I'd rather be left to relax for a little while after. My pipes are my time to relax.

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

When you are almost at the bottom of the bowl and the tobacco has became too condensed that you can't draw smoke anymore. To make sure that the tobacco is actually finished, you poke on it with your pipe tool and found that there are indeed still some un-burnt tobacco left. At this point, since you rearranged the content, now a tiny piece tobacco had blocked the airhole. You now have no choice other than taking them pipe stem of to push that piece of tobacco back to the chamber. :|

Pierre
    Posted 5 months ago #
  19. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

You now have no choice other than taking them pipe stem of to push that piece of tobacco back to the chamber.

Run a pipe cleaner down the stem.

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

Embers, honestly I have one and I use it daily. This particular bowl is too large for the wind cap I have, so I use a wine cork cut to the right size. I rolled the dice this time and lost, ha. But for those who don't have a wind cap, definitely worth the 2 bucks.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Too big for a windcap? Which pipe is it?

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Hate" may be too strong a word, but I don't like people who make a concerted effort to ban smoking. I don't like the regulation of tobacco. I am not crazy about taxes set to stamp out smoking. I don't like hearing that people are having a difficult time finding places to smoke. And, I especially hate when people want to stop and randomly ask me questions while I am smoking, where I have to remove my pipe from my mouth to respond.

I don't like seeing blends disappear and pipemakers giving up and quitting. I really hate dropping a pipe or accidentally leaving an open tin out in the rain. Stepping on a pipe, especially irks my day. But, most of all... all of this is offset by a moment of pure nirvana, where blend and pipe meld with me as if it all just becomes a part of me, and minutes tick by like a frozen moment in time, and life can be savored, and everything else just passes by me like water under a bridge.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  23. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

moment of pure nirvana, where blend and pipe meld with me as if it all just becomes a part of me, and minutes tick by like a frozen moment in time, and life can be savored, and everything else just passes by me like water under a bridge.

This should be the definition of pipe smoking in the dictionary!

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 5 months ago #
  24. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I personally enjoy the preparation phase of getting a smoke ready and also the caring for my pipes.

The one most troublesome aspect for me is being rushed, usually self imposed. Thankfully the wifey understands and when I’m at home, only interrupts me when absolutely necessary. I guess it’s when I sneak away for a bowl while at work that I feel the most rushed. Just kinda hard to really enjoy it in that environment.

Posted 5 months ago #
  25. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The lack of documented history about every pipe carver/factory/brand that has ever been carved.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 5 months ago #
  26. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buying a blend I thought I was going to really like and finding out the blend is not for me and I bought too much of the blend.

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. orlandofurioso

orlandofurioso

Login to Send PM

Dropping the pipe

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not being able to smoke inside.

Neal
    Posted 5 months ago #
  29. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

Too big for a windcap? Which pipe is it?

I have two, the one in question was a John Peele estate billiard, and it is only a little bigger than the wind cap. My other is the Mountbatten estate (I call my beater) because the bowl is massive. I use a champagne cork to plug that one.

At ray47, I have a few blends in my cellar that I am not a fan of, mostly burley stuff. I don’t reach for them often, if ever, but my brother likes them. No more than two tins, so not very deep, but wish I would have bought something else. Maybe my tastes will change, I do smoke what I like first.

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

not exactly a chore. but it takes me any where from 5 to 45 min. mainly drying time takes longest. some days, i don't mind. but other times, wish it was as easy as taking out of a pack and just smoking it. and i'm trying not to get a pack.

Posted 5 months ago #
  31. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At ray47, I have a few blends in my cellar that I am not a fan of, mostly burley stuff. I don’t reach for them often, if ever, but my brother likes them. No more than two tins, so not very deep, but wish I would have bought something else. Maybe my tastes will change, I do smoke what I like first. [quote]

I hardly ever give up on a blend. I may not like it today and feel remorse that I bought it, but as sure as the sun is coming up tomorrow, my tastes will change and the blend will agree with me. Tastes changing can be one minor thing I hate about pipe smoking. I'm an old salt and I hate change.

Posted 5 months ago #
  32. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tobacco taxes

Posted 5 months ago #
  33. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Hate" may be too strong a word, but I don't like people who make a concerted effort to ban smoking. I don't like the regulation of tobacco. I am not crazy about taxes set to stamp out smoking. I don't like hearing that people are having a difficult time finding places to smoke. And, I especially hate when people want to stop and randomly ask me questions while I am smoking, where I have to remove my pipe from my mouth to respond.

I don't like seeing blends disappear and pipemakers giving up and quitting. I really hate dropping a pipe or accidentally leaving an open tin out in the rain. Stepping on a pipe, especially irks my day. But, most of all... all of this is offset by a moment of pure nirvana, where blend and pipe meld with me as if it all just becomes a part of me, and minutes tick by like a frozen moment in time, and life can be savored, and everything else just passes by me like water under a bridge.

-Hell, I have nothing to add.

Posted 5 months ago #
  34. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

I hate the fact that nobody sells real pipe cleaners within 5 miles of here except for the local "adult" store.

On a positive note, they're open late.

How I know this isn't important.

Posted 5 months ago #
  35. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I hate not being able to smoke 24/7...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 5 months ago #
  36. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hate may not be the word, but misplacing a pipe disturbs me. My wife and I live with some clutter, no excuses. But with my regularly used possessions, I'm orderly amidst the "stuff." So when I park a pipe in some usually non-flammable corner, and don't remember where, it really irks me. I don't want to jinx the fact that I have never actually permanently lost a pipe. Oops, now I've said it. Of course, when a pipe is lost I immediately remember it as my favorite and best pipe ever. Then I find it.

gerryp, you have me wondering why an "adult store" sells pipe cleaners, and my imagination runs wild -- a dirty mind is a perpetual feast.

Posted 5 months ago #
  37. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hate that mfgs like K&K,SG and JF Germain cannot get their shit together to be able to supply the demand for their blends. It has created a secondary market that is bad for pipe smokers.

Harris
    Posted 5 months ago #
  38. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris is spot on. Kind of amazing business where it seems to be dying a slow death due to anti smoking sentiment but the supply vs demand looks to be just the opposite for many of the better blends. I can see how they are tied together to an extent as there are people like myself who are stocking up for the dreaded Tobbacappocalypse.

I'd say the other things I hate are some tongue bite and the atrocious affect pipe smoke has on ones breath.

Posted 5 months ago #
  39. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Dirty looks from others, dropping a pipe, hard relights, packing too tight, tongue bite

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 5 months ago #
  40. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two of the better flakes on the market are Capstan Blue Flake and Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. They seem to be never out of stock. Why is that Mac Baren doesn't have shortages? Escudo is one of the most popular blends on the market yet you can get it everywhere.

Posted 5 months ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

Peterson vulcanite stems, they oxidize quickly.

Posted 5 months ago #
  42. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, yeah, tongue bite—I hate that too.

Posted 5 months ago #
  43. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oxidation! and i agree with pappy mac, where the hell did all the catalogs and records go?

Posted 5 months ago #
  44. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

Nanny stickers on tobacco tins.

Windy days.

Posted 5 months ago #
  45. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m not fond of the unavailability of some of my favorite blends but it’s no biggie really since I saw it coming but it would be nice if some of the new comers could experience some of them without paying an arm and a leg. Hate is a strong word though, I don’t hate anything really, love is the only answer.

Posted 5 months ago #
  46. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

Inept butane lighters.

Posted 5 months ago #
  47. alsatmem

alsatmem

Login to Send PM

Waiting on USPS or UPS to deliver that hotly anticipated new pipe and/or blend. Usually not much patience left after yet another 10 1/2 hour work day!

Posted 5 months ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

thefishguy

Login to Send PM

I hate when all the tobacco in the bowl is burned up.

Posted 5 months ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

Realising you spent thousands of dollars and may not be actually willing to smoke the stuff you have.

Posted 5 months ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

spanishkarl

Login to Send PM

The demise of Dunhill
    Smelly used pipe cleaners (I am too lazy to empty my ashtray more than once a day)

Posted 5 months ago #
  51. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Realising you spent thousands of dollars and may not be actually willing to smoke the stuff you have.

You buy tobacco you're unsure of?

Posted 5 months ago #
  52. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

The lack of documented history about every pipe carver/factory/brand that has ever been carved.

What pappymac said.

Non Serviam
    Posted 5 months ago #
  53. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While I’m happy that Mike and Mary are taking a well earned retirement I hate the fact that McClelland’s is no more.

Posted 5 months ago #
  54. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1. When the tobacco burns up before I'm done.
    2. The words "Out of Stock" (especially as relates to Gawith, Rattray and Germain)
    3. The way McClellands is gone
    4. When people walk up and ask "What kinda good stuff you smoking in that, heheheh?"

Posted 5 months ago #
  55. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I can't think of anything I hate about smoking a pipe.

Posted 5 months ago #
  56. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Threads about what I hate about pipe smoking. C'mon, you knew that was coming!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 months ago #
  57. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Burn holes in clothing.

Posted 5 months ago #
  58. ltstone

ltstone

Login to Send PM

Tongue bite and palette fatigue. The discrimination about smoking and being lumped together with cigarette smokers.

an ego without the power to notice itself
    Posted 5 months ago #
  59. cajomu

cajomu

Login to Send PM

I don't like the fact that smoking a pipe is bad for my health. I wish it were a harmless pleasure but, let's be honest, it's not.

I try to minimize the risk by limiting myself to one bowl a day and not inhaling, but I know that there is still a risk.

As much as I enjoy pipe smoking, I'm glad none of my kids picked up the habit.

Posted 5 months ago #
  60. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing I hate about it. It brings me
    peace and serenity.

Posted 5 months ago #
  61. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The availability of some blends. Bugs the crap out of me to hear, "Hey you like Escudo you HAVE to try this blend!", and then I check websites or B&Ms and the blend is nowhere to be found in stock.

I also HATE when I see sales on SmokingPipes with an awesome pipe from a carver I've been wanting to add to the collection and I just had to make some other monetary payment and can't afford it. Sucks how bill paying and those illusive pipes always seem to happen at the same time.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 5 months ago #
  62. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

The "thing I appreciate least" about smoking a pipe - and I know this is my fault from chugging through sequential bowls without any rest or pipe cleaner action in between - is when the excessive "juice" starts climbing up the stem and out of the hole in the button and into my mouth... yuk! - Sherm Natman

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   catyrpelius, redone, alexnc, jiminks