2. Rock back and forth while humming "A Day in the Life"

3. Join the French Foreign Legion

4. Take up whittling

5. Become an anarchist opposed to gov't regulation

6. Search for natural highs like stalking and murder

7. Really get good at Sudoku

8. Drink MD 20/20 on the boardwalk at dawn

9. Cry

10. Get a steam press and fix this massive loss.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I want to find a master of business administration candidate to do their master's thesis on how an international brand evaporated into thin air while it could have still been sold for, apparently, millions of dollars. Now that's a magic trick. I'm still expecting a sale to be announced and a new owner to step forward to take up the brand.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I read somewhere that they want to have nothing to do with the filthy taint of tobacco anymore, and basically want to be a fashion and accessory label. So it's not that their pipe, tobacco and and cigars businesses are a financial burden, it's more of an image thing. Nothing to with the FDA, in any case.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, I thought that Dunhill pipe tobacco had been sold off by the Dunhill fashion house years ago, and that all that is being either closed, or in my opinion probably yet to be sold, is a tobacco blending/marketing operation. True? Not true?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
To rehash: Alfred Dunhill Ltd. is not in the tobacco/pipe business.
The owners of Dunhill branded tobacco products are keeping the name to sell the ever popular luxury cigarettes. The pipe blends and cigars are not generating sufficient profits. The blends are of no value without the Dunhill marque.
If pipe blends sales tick up they can always resume selling dropped items as they still own them and are probably keeping the names up to date with regard to trademark laws. Offer up a billion for the marque, blends, cigars and cigarettes, the owner company shareholders might lift an eyebrow in interest. I'd vote no on a sale as cigarettes are profitable and, who knows, the time may come to resurrect the pipe blends. Doesn't cost much to protect the names. Why sell? So a handful of smokers can be angst free?
BAT (British American Tobacco PLC) is a publicly traded company (BTI on the NYSE). So buy some stock, attend a shareholders meeting and bring the issue up. Or, gather up enough proxies and vote in new directors who will bring back the lowly Dunhill blends. Since the everything is for sale at the right price, find a buyer and make an offer. Millions of dollars probably won't do it. Hundreds of millions? Maybe. Make an offer.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Okay, I thought that Dunhill pipe tobacco had been sold off by the Dunhill fashion house years ago, and that all that is being either closed, or in my opinion probably yet to be sold, is a tobacco blending/marketing operation. True? Not true?
Not exactly. Dunhill tobaccos were separated off from Dunhill's other luxury businesses, like Lagerfeld, Chloe Group, Monteblanc, and Vacheron Constantine, years ago, but not exactly sold, since Dunhill was part of a complicated set up involving Richmont, Rothman's, BAT, and a small pile of other entities. The history of mergers is more incestuous than that of any Appalachian Mountain folk and will leave you glassy eyed and slack jawed.
Dunhill hasn't produced tobacco blends since 1981. Murrays simplified the processes by which the blends were made to increase profits. Those luxury blends have been kaput for decades. You're smoking tobaccos bearing the Dunhill trademark, but you're not smoking Dunhill tobaccos.
The bottom line is that BAT ended up owning the rights to the Dunhill brand as far as tobacco products are concerned. Dunhill is simply a trademark with no connection to Dunhill pipes. Different companies entirely. BAT will continue to market and sell Dunhill cigarettes, which are profitable. Pipe tobacco is no longer of interest. So Dunhill named pipe tobacco will go poof, goodbye, and the Dunhill name will NOT be sold or licensed to anyone else, because BAT will still be using it for a line of coffin nails.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Maybe I am wrong, but I think the thread was mostly intended sarcasm. However, I did learn something, so I crawl away happy

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I myself detected some slight facetiousness in the OP. Then again, with Deathmetal, hard tellin'.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Yeah, I didn't exactly get that one, so I answered with my usual flurry of curveball BS, and I don't mean Balkan Sobrainie

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
1. I shall print off massive labels on my computer saying Dunhill and glue them to my Carter Hall tub.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
In all seriousness:
I recall a thread early this summer, were someone stopped at the Dunhill Tobacco shop in London and asked the salesperson about it. They acted as though they wanted to say something, but couldn't and maybe even said that he couldn't talk about anything. The person that posted said it seemed like he was saying or hinting at a change of ownership or a buy out of the rights to the blends. Or I was dreaming.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
saintpeter, the only thing sadder than that is a goat that wears his sunglasses at night

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
unkelyoda, I can't even do that. I just found out from another thread that my one pound purchase in July that was backordered has been canceled by PayPal
edit - re: your second post. I think several brands could go poof and we still have an abundance of blends to try and enjoy.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
unkelyoda - your memory doesn't fail you. It was me who popped into the Dunhill shop that still sells Dunhill tobacco (different from the Dunhill luxury good shop which is just up the road). And, yes, he did seem to hint that discussions were continuing and that the blends were safer than it seemed on the surface. I hope to go into London in the next week or two - I will ask him if there is any update.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.