PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
We just got over a 4 day blackout in NYC because of the hurricane. The building still has not turned on the heat & hot water. It was inconvenient but I learned a lot from it. A while back I mentioned that I had tried Blackhouse and was not impressed. I have changed that opinion after smoking numerous bowls. Not bad. There are a few interesting notes in it. I learned that a candle placed in a metallic or white tobacco can reflects light & is brighter.I learned that pipes may also be used to warm your hands. I learned why pre-electric buildings such as castles have inner courtyards. To get more light in the room. Why progress has happened so much more quickly from the late 19th century to now. Electricity. It changed everything. Instead of going to bed at dusk, people now may stay up all night and work, think, create. Getting up early to scrounge for food was also interesting. And perfect strangers said hello to each other in the street. That doesn't happen around here. I learned why Rembrandt lit his paintings the way he did. No choice. I remember visiting his house in Amsterdam. I was unimpressed. Now I am thinking about the light in there. An occasional return to more primitive conditions is a good idea. Maybe that is why so many people enjoy camping out.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I remember an ice storm in Jacksonville FL in 1987 on Christmas Eve that brought the city to its knees for three days. Florida, ice, city connected by many bridges, few if any drivers knew how to handle vechicles in ice/snow. Just think about it. We lost power that first day. Then a section of pipe from our well froze. Then I ran out of heating oil. I had ice in my toilet. I had to siphon oil out of my parents tank into a 5 gallon bucket to put into my tank.
It is amazing what you learn quickly. Your attitudes to things and necessities change so fast. As my dad said, It builds character. You are glad when it is over, but you know that you are stronger now.
Foggymountain, I hope / pray that everything straightens out for you soon.
Winton

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I realized the true value of my fireplace during a winter blackout in North Texas 7 years ago. We cooked, slept, and melted snow for drinking water in that fireplace, and we camped out in the living room for 4 days. Living primitive makes one much more appreciative of the modern conveniences.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
In the early 2000's we were hit by Hurrican Jaun. No electricity for 5 days and it was during the winter. We heated our home with a Kerosene heater. On top of it, we heated soup, canned beans, spagetti, heated water for coffee and tea, etc. Ate crackers, bread.... We would drive to the spring on the Mountain for water, filling every 2 litre pop bottle or other container that was available around the house. We kept a bucket of snow melting by the Kerosene heater so we would have water to flush the toilet. We went to bed at dusk and got up with the sun. Five days seemed like a very long time. Your entire day was focused around just surviving and staying warm. When the power came on, we were actually amazed and a little bit surprised. The furnace kicked in, the clocks were reset, the faucets were run to flush them out. The kerosene heater was cleaned up and put away. We all took our turn in the shower and the laundry was done. Life returned to normal in a very short time. It is truly amazing, the impact of lack of electricity on our lives. It is hard to believe, that a mere 60-75 years ago, many people lived their entire lives without any electricity at all.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Here here Foggy. Great post. I went through a couple of days with no power in july and it showed me how dependent we are on electric. I will never move into another place without a fire place. In anticipation of us losing our electric last week I was trying to figure out how I would keep my kids warm. It would have been blankets and body heat. Thank God that we didn't lose our electric.

Aug 14, 2012
Thanks for the support guys. Still no heat or hot water, and no fireplace or kerosene heater. The building super has disappeared, the management company closed until Monday. Keeping warm by drinking a lot of tea and Scotch.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
First off I am very happy to hear you are ok.
second; what a great post... I love hearing when people have these "epiphanies", "self realizations" or just plain "true learning and growing"
third; I completely agree, I believe we all need to get back to a more primitive way of life... if even just on occasion (as in camping) to help us re-charge, to help us become more grounded.

I believe we as people are not meant to live in these massive cities with millions of other people, I feel we lose "something" when we do... I believe we are supposed to to live in much smaller communities in order to be "truly" happy and content... which compared to today's standards is in a way more "primitive"
I hope I am making sense as I have only had half a cup of coffee! :|

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Glad to hear you're OK. Electricity is societies weak link nowadays; lose it and we've lost everything - including knowledge. We all need those "come to ourselves" moments and having no power will do it. Thanks for the thoughts, and I hope things start getting back to normal soon.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Glad to hear you're making our okay Foggy. Sounds like you've got a good attitude (either that or good scotch!)
I feel for all of the people affected by this storm. Incredible ordeal it will be for so many people, especially with winter setting in - I just hope the news networks don't brush it under the table... it needs to remain in peoples minds so help keeps coming.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Nothing like cooking dinner on top of a kerosene heater on the front porch. St. Louis ice storm without power for 5 days. Then we moved to georgia and it flooded here and knocked out almost every bridge in the county. No power or running water. I took the downspout off of the gutter and filled buckets so we could flush toilets.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
glad to hear you are doing ok. I do camping and survival camps often. Grew up on a self sufficent farm in TN. Wife thought I was crazy untill we had no power for 15 days a few Aprils back. Catching fish all day and cooking them in a pot buried in the ground, right beside the whole pig I slaughtered and roasted. Made alot of friends with the neighbors that week also they were eating cans of tuna and cold beans.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Foggy, glad to hear you made it through ok. I was looking for you to ask a question when someone pointed out you live in the apple. I figured out you had no power, and was hoping you were ok. It is amazing at how dependent we have become on modern conveniences. Years ago we lost power in R.I for a couple of days because of a snow storm and luckily my home had three fireplaces which kept us warm. It was a different way of life for sure, my kids had a blast.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Glad you're ok, foggy. I know what it's like to not have electricity. When I was little, we moved to a 450 year old farmhouse in South Wales (UK not Australia). When we moved in, we didn't have electricity or indoor plumbing. We had a well and an outhouse. My mom would put the chicken eggs by the wood-burning stove so they'd hatch. I remember the day when my dad built a little room he called a bathroom, and in those days you could buy a kit that would connect your well to the indoor faucets and we had water in the house. Every few days the water would turn green and my dad would have to go clean the algae trap. Sometimes a tadpole would come out and my mom was not happy.
To this day, for the first twenty minutes after I get up I tiptoe, and I figured out why. Growing up the floor was cold! Because the house was old (not for Britain, though), the stupid front door opened out, and a snowdrift could trap you in the house. We got stuck in there for seven days once. My sister and I ate dog food. I think that experience would be good for a lot of the spoiled, snot-nosed brats I see running around these days.
Again, glad you're ok fogster, hope you get heat soon, and especially glad you have scotch!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Hope you get your heat back on soon Foggy. The fabric of civilization is much thinner than most people realize. I shudder to think of the horrific conditions the modern mega-cities would descend into if power and supplies were cut off for an extended period of time.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Concerning Hurricane Sandy, I've heard a week's worth of whining and complaining on my car's wireless device during the daily commute and I'm glad to hear a voice of reason after our most recent natural disaster.
You intellectualized the hurricane, Foggy, and took every thing to another level. I'm assuming you queued up for water, and possibly MREs, but you also very quickly came to the realization that electricity has driven civilization as we know it further and farther than our grandfathers and great-grandfathers could've imagined. (My late mother remembered electricity and indoor plumbing arriving to their SW Missouri family farm in the late 1930's.)
You took the high road, Foggy, and God bless you, Brother.
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Glad you made it through Foggy. On another forum, a member said he just had power restored and immediately ordered a hand crank radio/phone charger. I have a 12v ac adaptor for the car cigarette lighter, but you need gas for that.
I'm not sure the NYC pipe club meeting will go off on Wednesday. They moved the meeting to Soho and Cirac Tabac:

http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com/
Can we still get up there via subway from Penn Station? I was looking forward to meeting you and the guys in the club. I'll contact the president tomorrow for an update.

Aug 14, 2012
Al: Yes, take the 8th ave c train to soho for Thompsom & 6th. I am not sure exactly how far north or south it is. If you call them ask if it the spring st. stop. You told me the 13th, but this week is ok. I will wait to hear from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.