Things I Have Missed Since I Have Been Away?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
So I have been scarce on the forum over the last year due to looking for work. Still collecting unemployment, struggling to find a job. I have done a little under the table work but nothing solid.

I noticed a lot has changed since I was last on here. I wanted to see if any of you guys were selling pipes, baccy, or what not and I don't see anything. What happened? What else have I missed? Please catch me up.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Good to see you, sorry bout the job situation..http://www.briarbid.com/..not allowed to buy sell or trade on here anymore since Kevin started Briarbid

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Well that sucks. I am fixing to have to sell off most of my collection to make a couple bills.
What else has changed. It's been about 6 months since I was on here.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good to see you here tokerpipes. Sorry you're still job searching. In regards to what's new, like Chris said, briarbid represented a big change. It's still struggling to get off the ground, but it's still worth a shot.
In other news, Storient has been banned. People weren't receiving their pipes, then he started going of the deep end and was dropped as a sponsor.
That's all I can think of, except we've recently gained a lot more new members including a couple of women pipe smokers, which is nice to see.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Well that sucks. I am fixing to have to sell off most of my collection to make a couple bills.
Well, it doesn't have to suck. BriarBid.com, although still in its infancy, is growing. The Web UI isn't nearly as user-friendly as eBay -- I can't tell you much time I've spent looking for options, as a seller, that I think should have been much more clearly presented -- but there's something to be said for selling directly to a community that knows and loves pipes/tobaccos.
That said, because the BriarBid community knows its stuff, you're less likely to see the kind of, well, irrational bidding that exemplifies a lot of tobacco/pipe auctions on eBay. So you may actually end up making less money from a BriarBid auction.
Bob

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Nice to see you again Toker.

Most guys here do check Briarbid on a regular basis.

You will also see when someone post a pipe or two on briarbid

they normally put a link to them here.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Good to see you back, toker!
Can't add much to roth's post, except that Lawrence won the lottery and sent everybody certificates for a Dunhill; The Old Cajun ran some kids off his lawn; Hobie & Harris formed a new venture and bought up the world's supply of Penzance and Edgeworth Sliced. Oh, and Kevin dipped into his vast store of matured IRAs and bought a shoe factory in Italy.
Other than that, pretty quiet. Tranquil, even.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Lol. The only one I believe is Kevin buying a shoe factory. Hobby maybe if he actually ran out of Penz. And Lawrence is not that lucky.
Old Cajun nothing new there I thought it was regular exercise for him.
I am surprised cortezattic had not opened his own website on "Kevin smoking right now" trinkets.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
WB Toker.
What sort of work do you do? Where are you located? You never know who here might have a lead.
@rothnh: Good report!

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Ever consider driving a truck? Many states will issue a grant to cover school costs, and you don't have to drive forever.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I have 15+ years in customer service and bill collections experience. A fair chunk in mortgage, most recently (a year ago now) I answered complaints filed against mortgage companies that were sent to the government. I would have to figure out if the complaint was valid and get it resolved with the borrower and the mortgage company while on a strict time frame set by the government. The problem I am having in getting back into a position like that since being laid off is that I worked my way up to that position with out a college degree. Fore me to go back to bill collections would mean I would be making less than 1/2 of what I had worked up to earning.

Now with child support and being remarried and additional children I can't make les than 40k a year and stay afloat. My wife and I were forced to file bankruptcy and most mortgage companies do a credit check for employment.

I live in Jacksonville Florida.

Also I had a situation about 8 years ago where I has written a check and wife (now ex) placed a stop pay on it. I was picked up on a bench warrant and spent a night in jail for it. The check was resolved but now I ping on a background check and mortgage companies won't hire anyone with something like that.

So I have a couple things that make it difficult to earn what is needed to get by.

Status
Not open for further replies.