1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I have been doing some custom jewelry designs for the owner for The Briary, and I wanted to swap work for a pipe that had just come in. It was a Mark Tinsky tan blast bent bulldog. A lovely little thing with some other unidentified wood added to the stummel. The colors are gorgeous, so I made the swap.
tinsky1.jpg

Ahhh, isn't she gorgeous? As soon as I got in my truck, I packed her half full of some Sterling Balkan, set fire to leaf, and drove off into a wonderful smoking experience. The pipe hangs just right, and I had already forgotten that she was in my clench by the time I got to the grocers to get what needed getting. I sat in the truck finishing my smoke and drifting off into some CCR thumps and grinds. And, so I just sat it down in the rack I keep all of my resting driving pipes in, and I headed off to fill my girlfriend's list of food stuffs.
When I get back to the truck, I am already salivating and wanting that Tinsky girl back in my clench, but as I went to pick it up, it just fell apart. This rush of sadness came over me, like watching a child get hit by a truck right before your eyes came over me. And, this unknown liquid stuff was filling my eyes, making everything blurry. What is this feeling? I just sat and looked at it.
tinsky2.jpg

I called Skip, The Briary guy, and he calmed me down and told me that he would make things right. Apparently the heat made the briar expand and crack, which cracked the unknown wood, making it all fall apart. Skip went into great detail about his apprehensions of using these "other" woods in pipes. He assured me that Mark would make this all right, and if it wasn't to my satisfaction, he would let me pick another pipe.
Before you judge me for leaving my pipe in the truck, I've been doing this for years with no ill effects; however, this is my first pipe to have this layered extra wood thing on it. However, it seems that briar cracked first is our summation. Crap happens. Tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, and cracked briars. It doesn't make me feel better about it, but what can you do?
Anyways, that's the gist of it. :::sigh::: Now, to just wait to see how it pans out. It is wonderful to have a pipe shop that cares and pipe makers who understand. Now, it's my turn to understand. I just hope that if it has to be replaced, Mark can make me one very similar.
OK, carry on... :puffy:

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
What a shame. That is a beautiful pipe! Too bad an old piece of ivory can't be found. I've seen some with similar coloring. That might be a good replacement. Moose antlers have some "ivory" that might work well. Just a thought.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All will be well, but it's a disappointing experience to say the least.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Is that wood tamarind? I know Mark uses it a lot and it has that color, but then so do the maple and birch inserts he uses. I think the dual wood, and triple wood on one of my billiards, adds to the attractiveness for me. I'm sorry it worked out so disappointingly for you. I'm sure you will be satisfied by Mark's making it right.

Ranger, I have boxes of antlers, but I'd hate to get too demanding on Mr Tinsky.

I'm not sure what wood this is. I'm not much of a wood expert.
It just amazes me that it must have rode in an non-air-conditioned truck all the way to The Briary, and waited till I had thoroughly fell in love with it before... It's just unthinkable.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I have heard nothing but good things about mark and his customer service. I am sure that it will be taken care of.

On a positive note that is an absolute stunning pipe!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Take heart that you have Skip and Mark Tinsky himself to fall back on. I know the pain of having a prized pipe drop on the floor and shatter, or have the finish bubble off a new pipe with no recourse. Like all things in life, sh*t happens. In most cases, a pipe can be repaired.

Thanks guys, I just dropped off the injured pipe, and Mark has already responded to Skip, and I hope to have a new pipe soon. Hopefully it will be as beautiful as this one. I listened to a long list of possible scenerios that it could have been from the delron tenon to the glue, to the briar, to the spalted maple. I learn so much every time I set foot in The Briary. Good folks!

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Fingers crossed that pipe gets sorted! It's a beauty.
As for the wood - it looks like it may be Spalted Maple? I've seen similar looking woods used used on guitars.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I bet what Mark sends back will be awesome. Maybe even a huge upgrade, if that is possible.

Word from Tinsky, he isn't sure how this happened... Um, I told him how it happened. Your customer service sucks, buddy.

He can only offer me a smooth bulldog to replace this one, because he doesn't do his own blasting. Umm, I took a look at his smooths, no thanks. I have boxes of 100 year old smooth bulldogs of every shape and size, and they all smoke wonderful. Just send me back the broken pipe, and I will fix it myself. :::sigh::: I should have just fixed it to begin with. Live, learn.
Skip is feeling like he is in the middle on this, but I will say that The Briary has gone above and beyond, even offering me store credit. But, I don't want just any ol' pipe. I have racks and racks of the damn things, so I am getting picky about what I add to the collection. Besides, I trust my own fixes on things these days. I don't trust other people to tinker for me.
I just really loved the look of this pipe, and the first and only bowl smoked great. I could care less who the mark on it belongs too. Just cause it says Tinsky mean beans to me.
edit - I even offered to pay for all of the shipping charges both ways, just to get the thing back and the whole debacle over with.

Jan 8, 2013
Ouch. Sorry it didn't work out so well.
That said, having seen your banding, I am certain that it will look better when your done with it than it did new.

I will enjoy tinkering with it :wink: In the last message, he has offered me a discount on another Tinsky pipe. I'm sure he's a great guy. I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing him. I respect all artisans of all mediums. They work hard for barely a living wage. I will keep an open mind on any other pipes that I see by him, but I'm picky. Like I said, I'm not going for volume of pipes, I'm looking for beauty :D

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Tinsky. (If you rearrange the letters, it spells Stinky.)
What a bummer. Sometimes bad things happen to good pipes and good people.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Wow, I can't believe a hand craftsman in this day and age doesn't know the power of customer service. It's the one thing they can offer that big brands and store chains cannot. I just looked at his site and he has tons of blasts, so it's not like it's out of his ability to replace or repair. If you were my customer, I would do what it took to make sure you were happy. Perhaps his margins are slimmer than I know but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.