PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinbird

Lurker
Feb 16, 2017
Well look at all you fine folk! I trust the weekend is proving to be a great one for each everyone of you :)
If one were thinking about delving into the dark arts and was thinking of making a pipe with a thick stem, like typical Author style pipes, is there a source online? Any places I've checked seem to have the typical sized ones but nothing like the south end of a Kardashian. Is this going to be a self made, file/rasp/and sanding proposition?
Tb

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The draft hole in the south end of a Kardashian would be way too open; so, much like an actual Kardashian, it just wouldn't work. :wink:

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
You won't find pre-made stems much thicker than 3/4" across.
When we makes the fat pipes, we buys the fat rod.

s9uuRyC.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some of Mark Tinsky's kits came with some ridiculously thick preformed stems. He may know of a source.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Hey thanks, that was part of a "revival" idea, some of the old Kaywoodie handmades (and these definitely qualify as thick-shanked so it's not even a de-rail!):

XEq7hqv.jpg

@chasingembers you may be right - I know Mark does not buy the usual "giudici" prefab stems, he may indeed have a wider variety of sizes around.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If one were thinking about delving into the dark arts and was thinking of making a pipe with a thick stem, like typical Author style pipes, is there a source online? Any places I've checked seem to have the typical sized ones but nothing like the south end of a Kardashian. Is this going to be a self made, file/rasp/and sanding proposition?
There are no molded tapered stems I know of that are larger than appx .85" diameter at the base. How much of that is usable depends on how round the shank is, and how centered the mortise is.
Vulcanite rod comes in any desired diameter, and the largest acrylic rod that's generally available is 1".

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Looks like Vermont Freehand has round tapered stems in diameters up to 29/32"
http://vermontfreehand.com/product/round-taper/
And they're relatively inexpensive.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks gang, will do some looking and see about placing an order at one of these [:)]
Not until after the Chicago Pipe Show- Steve Norse of Vermont Freehands is there for the week...
I get there today to pick through all the good stuff....

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
The draft hole in the south end of a Kardashian would be way too open
And can you imagine the ghost in that hole(shudder). Not enough salt and Everclear in the world to get that smell out... 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.