PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I was at my local B&M this week, and they had a new Kaywoodie display with 12 pipes or so on it. At first glance I was happy to see them. Upon further inspection, I was quickly disappointed. The quality of the pipes were pretty bad. I don't think some were even made of wood. I know they are O.T.C. Drugstore pipes, but I have some older Kaywoodies that are really nice pipes. Flamegrain, SuperGrain ect. By comparison, a Dr Grabow looks like a Dunhill next to one these. They don't make 'em like they use to. I'm still going to nab the kaywoodie wall display from them when they sell out. If they sell out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I recently bought a Kaywoodie Saxon straight panel pot online with a push bit that seems sound, made

of briar and with a quality stem as near as I can tell so far. My other Kaywoodie Ruf-Tone author is a

solid pipe but does have the drink well screw-in stem that doesn't end up on the horizontal, although it

is certainly smokeable. But to botch this advertised feature is shabby. They can make good pipes, but

seem to lack the full resolve to do so. I think they were, at one point, comparable to Dunhill, or nearly so.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The older Kaywoodies from the '20's thru the '40's, were high grade pipes that out sold and cost more, than contemporaneous Dunhills. They're a completely different pipe from the drugstore pipes of later years. S. M. Frank just ruined them. The Italian Kaywoodies are mostly kindling. But recent pipes have been a big improvement.
Still, if you're looking for an excellent value on the estate market, those old Kaywoodies can be magical!

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
No!! Old Kaywoodies bad, bad, bad!!
You'll never get a good smoke out of them. The unscrupulous dealers who peddle them on auction sites are really Communists, and many of them beat their wives. Old pre-war Kaywoodies taste like a stewbum has been smoking old socks in them, and you'll get a headache if you try one. Don't be a victim of this insidious plot, and never, ever be tempted by the invitingly low price!
Do us all a favor and spread the word about what a bad deal you are getting when you even bid on a noxious old KB&B burner. That's all it is, a nicotine delivery system - it has been proven that everyone who has ever smoked a pipe with a four-hole "stinger" will eventually die. (Some of these pipes, if they can be honored with such a noble word, have a distinctive metal fitment, called a 'stinger' by the addicts, that has three or sometimes four holes. The 'stinger' is aptly named, for it will 'sting' your tongue. It really will!)
Please, don't give in. The man who offers you a Kaywoodie is not your friend. Bid instead on old Petersons and Dunhills*, where the high price can assure you that you get your money's worth.
*But not Hardcastles. Hardcastle pipes are made from glue and floor-sweepings. I saw it on the Internet!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, cynyr wants first option on all the golden oldie Kaywoodies. Some of the new ones are surprisingly

good, but you have to suss out what you're getting. The product is uneven, to say the least.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Wha...? Cynicism from a man who calls himself Cynyr? Perish the thought! Just trying to protect the public, my friends!
I have several a few a couple pre-war Kaywoodie pipes. Four-digit, clover-on-top, four-hole Bruyeres. None of them smoke better than a humble cob!
Okay, seriously. I love 'em. I prowl for them all the time. If I had more money, I'd buy every one I see. One caveat, though - be prepared to clean, for these old codgers had nothing but Half & Half and Mixture 79 run thru them for so long, and most were never, ever cleaned.
For the pipe and history lover, there's no better deal.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I have two late-model Kaywoodies which are wonderful smokers, including the rusticated-look Saxon. Both smoke excellently, and the Saxon is particularly comfortable (although the jury's still out on whether or not it's actually wood) :?
With such good prior history, I came to trust Kaywoodie a bit too much - if I had thought to run the pipecleaner test on my Gold Burl when it arrived before I smoked it, I could have sent it back when it failed. I was wondering why it was the only pipe I owned out of about 15 or so which I could not avoid getting the dreaded gurgle from, even with the driest of tobacco blends in it. When I shined a flashlight down the shank, I could see the draft hole being so horribly off-center that any cub scout who had made this one as a project would have been mortified with embarrassment! Doesn't look like this company even bothers with quality control anymore, to let this piece of shit pass, and I won't be wasting my time and money on any more new pipes from them.
Beware any new Kaywoodie crap!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The non-briar Kaywoodie may be Brylon, although I associate those mostly with Medico and Yello-Bole in later years when those brands tapered off on briar pipes, though their new briar pipes can still be found ... 4Noggins has some Medico briars for low prices. How Brylon pipes have hung on to the degree that they have is a mystery. One or two Forums members recommend Brylon for rough duty pipes. One man does fire reclamation work and likes the Brylon for being indestructible in that setting. Mostly, though, people find their bowls hot to the touch and not as kind to tobacco blends as briar, cob, Meerschaum, etc. Still, to stay in business, Brylon lines of pipes must have some repeat sales, so maybe the hard use sector has more action that we know. There may be guys or gals who have ten or twenty Brylon pipes who depend on them. None of them seem to be on Forums, or don't speak up. Brylon is a synthetic material containing some wood product, but other material as well. It was developed in the 1960's, I believe, not during World War II as a briar substitute as is sometimes told. Some Brylon pipes go for under $20, and most below $30. Some of the sales are likely attributable to new pipe smokers who want an inexpensive pipe but not a cob.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have a couple old Kaywoodies. They ARE nice. =)
Haven't tackled any new ones. I am trying to focus on fewer, nicer pipes now.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I forgot about this post. I've seen some new KW's since this post and a few looked really nice. I don't get it. Are the newer KW's being made by two different manufactures now? The ones I checked out at my B&M were just plain awful. Bad fit and finish. Some other new ones looked great. Nicely made, great sandblasts, good fit and finish. How can the quality control be so erratic for modern KW's?

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
It could be the "new" display is older stock. The new Italian made Kaywoodies seem to be well made with good blasts for factory pipes. We had them for the Kaywoodie holiday smoking contest and noone had a conplaint about their pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.