There's Something To Be Said About Waking Up Earlier...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
I've been trying more and more to wake up an hour earlier than my normal routine would normally allow, and use this time to just relax in front of the computer and smoke my pipe, and have a cup of coffee. I'm finding that my days don't seem too long anymore, that it doesn't feel like I'm just waking up for work, that I'm not as busy as I think I am. This hour has given me great time to just de-congest, and not worry about what the day's going to bring for one extra hour in the morning. Definitely a welcomed experience, one that I'll treasure greatly in future years.
Happy puffin,

pipenscotch

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
I agree pipenscotch. Since I stopped shaving 6 months ago I have some extra time in the morning. I also use the time to relax with some coffee in front of the PC.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
The earlier I get up, the earlier I get in to work. The earlier I get to work, the sooner I can go home. It is advantageous to me to prepare for my work day in a half asleep stupor. Before I know it, I am at work surfing the forums. If I had an hour to relax with coffee and a pipe before work, chances are I would not make it in. I have thought about getting up earlier to squeeze in some exercise but I think 5AM is my biological limit. Off work by 2PM, plenty of time for activities, and I avoid the whole 8-5 crowd. Glad you found what works for you. Enjoy! :puffpipe:

Jan 8, 2013
I set my alarm early enough to take everything slow in the mornings. Really slow. That way, if I find myself spacing out with my phone in hand, it isn't a big deal. Plus, it gives me time for that second cup of coffee before I leave. Gotta love it.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I would sleep until 10am and then my son was born. I now get up between 5 and 6. He gets a diaper change and a bottle and he's back to sleep till 8am. Afterwards I do a sh*t, shave & shower and then I relaxed with my tablet and coffee untill he gets up.
I found the same thing, the time spent in the morning is relaxing and I prefer it to running around.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yep, I get up earlier now that I'm retired than when I was working. I'm up and about between 5-6 AM. Coffee, pipe and newspaper. It's the best time of the day. That leaves the rest of the day for doing absolutely nothing but visit here with you fine folks.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Like you, I have of late been carving out some extra time in the morning to enjoy a pipe with my morning coffee before I start the day in earnest. It has quickly become my favorite bowl of the day. It's a very meditative time, I'm enjoying the sounds of nature while out on my porch, relaxing with a nice English blend, and it helps me collect my thoughts, plan and organize my day better.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I'm trying. Oh God, I'm trying! I set my alarm to go off at 05.15 rather than 06.15 so that I can have the extra time, but I struggle like hell to leave my pit. The flesh and the spirit are both weak at that time of the morning. Now the Summer is finally here in my part of England, my garden is beautiful and a morning coffee and pipe is so wonderful at the weekends. But I just can't break weekdays. A lot of the problem is that I work late a lot - after midnight late - so it's a stretch to lose even an hour. However, I will persevere and I look forward to having that precious time to myself at the start of the day.
Andy

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
papipeguy
Yep, I get up earlier now that I'm retired than when I was working. I'm up and about between 5-6 AM. Coffee, pipe and newspaper. It's the best time of the day. That leaves the rest of the day for doing absolutely nothing but visit here with you fine folks.
+1 John

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
On the flip side, I work the graveyard shift. When I get home, it's just so nice in the morning, that I tend to have trouble going to sleep.
Or maybe it is the glory of whaddaya call it...
... sunshine?
Wee morning hours are tough to beat, for sure.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pipenscotch, guys, gals, all this early riser talk, let's get real. Everyone wakes up early this time of year when that

first light begins to make the windows glow about 5:30 a.m. In fact, this morning I woke up with a "brilliant" idea

for the June cartoon caption contest. (All my ideas are brilliant. No pipe yet.) The test of all this early rising talk

is along about November when the sun goes down at 5 p.m. and doesn't come up until about 7 a.m. And it's cold

out there, out from under the covers. And some places, snow has dampened all the sound around the house. Some

people get into the habit and make it pay. My younger sister had sleep problems and got up early to write, and she's

published her third novel with Viking and also published a memoir. (My kid sister! Whose hair I braided!) So don't

let me discourage you, but don't call me before 9 a.m. please. Especially in late fall through late spring.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I also enjoy some private time each day.I hate getting up early though.I had to get up at 4:00 am when I worked.Now that I'm retired I prefer to stay up late.Most nites I get to bed around 1:00 am

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
My younger sister had sleep problems and got up early to write, and she's

published her third novel with Viking and also published a memoir. (My kid sister! Whose hair I braided!)
I found that I wrote a lot more in the early morning, but the quality didn't improve. :|
I get up early just so I can have coffee and pipe at work before my minions roll in.

Aug 1, 2012
There's Something To Be Said About Waking Up Earlier...
Yeah, it sucks. :)
I am not a morning person and if I get up an hour earlier I lose the steam I would have had to start my day. I tried it for a while and it was a miserable experience for me.
That said, if it works for you, good on ya. Enjoy it.

Mar 31, 2014
I'm by no means a morning person, but I can appreciate being up and about before most people. It's a quiet and peaceful time, the early hours of the morning. I usually don't get up any earlier than I absolutely have to, but when I do, the rest of my day seems brighter. So why don't I get up early more often? Because it's so hard :cry:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
mso489, regardless of the season I'm up before 6:00 AM for quiet time but you have a very valid point about the sun rising earlier. Sure makes finding the morning paper a lot easier.

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
I'm definitely a night owl. I go to bed pretty late every night, usually a few hours later than everyone else, so that's where I get my alone time :D

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I leave for work at 6:00am and generally get up between 4:30 and 5:00 to give me that time to a a coffee, smoke a small bowl and pack a pipe for the drive in. Really it has become my favorite time of the day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A lot of this is about circadian rhythms. I could always get up early when I had to, but when I tried to do

exercise or a run in the morning it made me nauseous. And it made me fall asleep mid-morning, or if

at work, be glassy eyed. Whereas, I could always work out or run in the afternoon or evening, or sometimes

even late night. Yet, I always sleep at night. I was never tending toward a night owl. I sat the midnight to

8 am. radio watch on my ship in the Navy, but it made me manic.

Status
Not open for further replies.