There's Just Something About VaPers

(32 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by coalsmoke
  • Latest reply from zdwebb12
  1. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, I have to confess...I like my current VaPer. There, I said it. I'm finishing my tin of Reiner Long Golden Flake and have another one waiting. After getting used to the flavor of the Perique (not a lot but enough) it has really grown on me and I smoke it a couple of times a day. If I want to move to a mixture with a bit more Perique, what would you guys suggest? I know this is a really tough question. I'm not looking for a P-blast, but perhaps a medium VaPer. I'm going to get a couple of ounces of Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake to try out. I know that it's not a Perique-loaded VaPer, but I want to crank the Perique up some more. What do you guys recommend?

Russ
    Pipe smoking is true relaxation. Everything else is work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Escudo, though that might be heavier with perique than you're looking for. I didn't think it was that strong, but I read somewhere that it had about 40% perique in it (couldn't prove it by me).

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You could always buy some blending perique from McClelland. I also like St James Woods from McClelland's personal reserve. I'm not an expert on perique though. I also am in love with SHPC(Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club in Boston) VR blend, which is a VaPer with cavendish, pressed into a cake. I've had a few bowls of that and every one has been stellar. I shared it with a pipe friend of mine who has been smoking much longer than I(30-50 years?) and he also enjoyed it.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Escudo is now, and has always been (at least according to the STG rep), 16% Perique.
    Luxury Navy is a good medium-full VaPer, and has a nice amount of nicotine. Others in that range would be Louisiana Red & Anniversary Kake from Hearth & Home, Solani 633, McClelland 2015, GLP Haddo's Delight, or my new favourite, Daughters & Ryan SJ Rimboche. If you're really into the Perique flavour though, I'd recommend buying some straight blending Perique to add at your preference (or smoke alone). Cornell & Diehl, Hearth & Home, and McClelland offer excellent choices.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Escudo is now, and has always been (at least according to the STG rep), 16% Perique.

Thanks for clearing that up. When I read that 40% comment on another forum awhile back I was a bit stunned, but figured it was just my own taste that was becoming blind to it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Something that I forgot to mention was that I prefer a bright Va. and Perique without any other added tobaccos. The dark flakes seems to disagree with me. Any thoughts on GLP Stratford or McClelland Beacon?

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Something that I forgot to mention was that I prefer a bright Va. and Perique without any other added tobaccos. The dark flakes seems to disagree with me. Any thoughts on GLP Stratford or McClelland Beacon?

I've never smoked either, but I also prefer the bright va's, Coalsmoke. I'm keeping a 50/50 mix of straight bright virginia and perique here for my own "VaPer" and I like it pretty well. Next order I place, I'm going to get a couple of pounds of each, mix 'em up and press it under 20 tons for a few weeks, see what I end up with.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beacon Extra !

Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Based on your likes and dislikes, Coalsmoke, I'd try Dan Limerick and (if you can find it) Estoterica Dorchester. Both are bright leaf virginias and both are a notch up in Perique compared to Reiner Long Golden Flake.

To give you a perspective, the unit of measurement I use here would place Orlik Golden Sliced's Perique content one notch down from Reiner Long Golden Flake.

I also agree with puffers here who suggest you blend your own. Gawith & Hoggarth Bright CR Flake is an excellent all bright virginia blend that is sold in bulk at a reasonable price. Buy 8 ounces of GH BCRF with a couple ounces of McClelland Blending Perique (also sold in bulk) and you can experiment, one bowl at a time and taking notes, to determine exactly the right ratio that suits your tastes -- and have a great deal of fun doing so.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a hard time getting past the vinegar smell of McClelland's stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have a hard time getting past the vinegar smell of McClelland's stuff.

Many puffers have that issue. I didn't like it at first, but from the first bowl of those blends, none of that tin note transferred to the smoke for me, so now, I kind of relate the McClelland signature ketchup smell to a flag messaging me that I am about to smoke what is arguably some of the best virginia tobaccos anywhere, blended by the master blenders at McClelland.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am somewhat fond of the McVinegar, myself.

I agree with roth that it is an instant cue that "this is McClelland" and you are in for a treat.

(Technically, this aroma can be found in other Virginias as it is a natural tobacco fermentation smell but few producers are able to capture this character in their blends like McClelland)

When I first opened up 5100, all I could think of was ketchup and I was afraid that the taste was going to be offputting.

I was quickly relieved and discovered that the sweet/sour/spicy/tangy flavours were quite charming.

Coalsmoke, I would wager that Beacon is incredibly light because to my taste Beacon Extra is not huge in the perique department. (Then again my taste buds only respond to brute force, with flavour bashing me over the head)

I would also suggest LBF over LNF if you are going the Stokkebye route. Just my opinion.

If there was only one Va/Per blend allowed on the planet, I'd want it to be Escudo. End of story. So that is my recommendation. Even if you don't think it will be a favourite, if you like Virginia Perique blends then you are doing yourself a disservice by avoiding Escudo on the basis of other people's reviews. It has a richness and intensity of flavour (at times) that none of the others can match.

Some think that it is over-hyped, but in the USA at least, it is fairly priced and readily available and widely reviewed so it is for a reason considered the gold standard IMO.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MC SJF 2015, AK and Escudo

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Escudo or Dunhill navy rolls (practically the same)
    Lux Nave Flake
    Lux Twist Flake

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't like the McClelland vinegar/ketchup at first either. However, now that I have enjoyed their Va blends thoroughly, the aroma reminds me of the flavor to come and my mouth waters when I smell it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe that anyone who likes Perique needs to try Escudo at least a few times. It is the quintessential Vaper Flake in which all others are judged. It ages incredibly well and is one classic blend.

Solani 633 and SG St James flake are also quite good.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agree with Harris that Escudo is the king of pure VaPers. It simply cannot be matched, IMO.

To answer the other question, I'm a big fan of Beacon Extra but it definitely has that McClelland tang on both the nose and palate which is not everyon's cup of tea.

For a creamier, broken flake VaPer without the ketchup, I would recommend GL Pease's Fillmore - one of my favorite VaPers. You also may want to try Telegraph Hill, also a GLP blend. Of the two I prefer Fillmore but both are excellent. I've heard hypotheses that Telegraph Hill is just a ribbon version of Fillmore but I'm not in that camp. I find fillmore to be darker and richer, creamier, whereas Telegraph Hill is a bit lighter, brighter, and more akin to Hal o' the Wynd (without the dominant red VA bite risk).

Another I would recommend is Anniversary Kake. I was a late comer to this blend and really, really like it.

That said, for VaPer hybrids, my all time favorite hands down is Luxury Bullseye Flake (followed very closely by Haddo's Delight).

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Guys...you've given me plenty to consider! Onward the journey ahead!

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. alancairns

alancairns

Login to Send PM

In my opinopn, nothing beats Solani 633!

Alan

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my previous post I forgot to mention one of my new favorites: MacBaren Acadian Perique. Technically a hybrid. This is an underrated tobacco that's bound to become a classic, IMO. I probably forgot to mention it because I'm down to one unopened tin that I've hidden from myself. Going to give it some time to think about itself and see what skme age does to this blend. (It's also an excellent value in the 100g MB tins.)

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. zdwebb12

zdwebb12

Login to Send PM

Few days late, but for what it's worth, I really enjoy Esoterica Dunbar. It is a mixture of seven Virginia's, mostly bright with a hearty dash of perique. It's one of my regulars and my favorite Vaper as of right now.

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy Esoterica Dunbar.

I have Dunbar on my 'gotta get' list.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have Dunbar on my 'gotta get' list.

Well good luck with that

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Amen to that roth.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

This:

I believe that anyone who likes Perique needs to try Escudo at least a few times. It is the quintessential Vaper Flake

easy to find, easy to love, smokes great fresh, smokes better aged 3-5 years.. The quintessential Va/Per. Simple.

Here we have Harris, who has what -- 20+ blends in his rotation. If he flushed all but one down the drain, which one would he keep?

Yep, you got it. Escudo.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ugh, this thread just reminded me of something... I checked and actually found a 5 year old tin of Esoterica Dunbar at the bottom of my cellar. The tobacco turned a deep deep brown and I can see some crystal forming from the aging. I opened the jar to check on moisture level and was blown away by the intense smell of ripe apricots. This thing is going into my breakfast pipe first thing tomorrow morning!

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

this is starting TAD for me. all great sugestions for vaper tabacs, which i enjoy as well. i currently have escudo,lnf,lbf and st.james woods.

take care all.
    mike.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mlyvers, I was just enjoying some St James Woods yesterday. Or maybe it was Saturday. Anyway, another nice VaPer very similar on presentation and tin note to Beacon Extra. Definitely has that McClelland tang. With both, I've found that a significant drying time prior to ignition helps the whole experience.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

As someone who has smoked cigarettes for years (I smoke a lot less since I started the pipe, but there are still situations where I smoke them) the moment I lit my first bowl of Dunhill De Luxe Navy rolls made me realise how much I prefer the tobacco taste rather than the taste of an aromatic. The spiciness of the Perique in the blend won me over instantly, now there's no going back. Can see myself having some Macbaren vanilla cream flake or some 7 seas regular around for a change of pace but I think Vaper blends are my wheelhouse.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boy, am I glad you guys reminded me of the Esoterica Dunbar. I smoked a bowl for breakfast this morning and a couple more since. This stuff with a little age on it is absolutely stellar. Rich stewed fruit, apricots, raisins, oats, hay, with a great sweetness and a zing of fresh Chilli peppers. Escudo just got de-throned from my VaPer toplist.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have Dunbar on my 'gotta get' list

Well good luck with that

Coalsmoke, I dont know how often they stock it, but here a few months ago I managed to snag a couple of tins of Dunbar at Mars Cigars and they were a really good price. Itd be worth checking out sometime if you are looking for a tin or two.

EDIT: Just checked Mars Cigars and 50 gram tins are in stock right this very minute.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. zdwebb12

zdwebb12

Login to Send PM

CupOJoes has 2oz tins of Dunbar in stock.

Esoterica Dunbar -- CupOJoes

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lestrout, jchaffin2, ericthered, dochudson, bigvan, numbersix